Would the PMDG NGX run on *this* computer?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Still Learning
Senior Airman

Would the PMDG NGX run on *this* computer?

Post by Still Learning »

In a way, I feel like a cast-a-way on a deserted island. Dare I say, I think I'm probably the only one left running a Sandy Bridge 2600 (that's non K) chip, out there, running at 3.4 GHz.

So I have to ask: Can this old computer, by today's standards - run PMDG's aircraft?

The weakest link in the chain is my Graphics Card: The GT440. I honestly don't know how much Memory the Card has. ReImage, (payware) says it has 1 GB. I could have sworn I bought it with 4 GBs of RAM. At any rate, it was able enough to run AutoCAD 2012 in 2D with no problem. 3D was another issue. In the end, I did experience some lag. FSX has run fine though with the A2A C172. But then again, I'm sure there's going to be a lot more "clicking" by me going on with a more complex a/c. Like: with the "Mode Control Panel" colloquially known as "the autopilot."

RAM: 8GB.

Storage: "C" 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (Contains OS: win7 64 "Ultimate" and installed programs, drivers,) 140GB used
Storage: "M" 2TB Western Digital Black (Contains my Data files)
Storage: "L" 4TB My Passport external (used for backups)

All storage devices are new as of this year.

I have the sinking feeling that I forgot something...

Anyway, what I have installed regarding flight-sim is FSXWX a free weather engine, A2A Cessna 172, FSX:SE, and my controllers. 3 of them. And with all of that, I'm getting as high as 80fps, and I've gone as low as 40fps, for a nanosecond. The wx engine really hasn't affected my fps.

What do you think? I'm just curious...

Still Learning
As of 8/14/17 | NZXT S340 Elite | AORUS Gaming 7 Z270 | i7 7770K @4.8 GhZ | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11 GB | 16GB DDR 4 RAM @ 2666 MhZ | Samsung EVO 850 SSD 1TB

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Re: Would the PMDG NGX run on *this* computer?

Post by cristi.neagu »

Hello,

It should run OK. Not with ORBX and maxed sliders, but it should be fine. I used to have a dual core 3.4GHz processor with a 9800GT and it was alright.

rlaycock
Airman First Class

Post by rlaycock »

Hi
I also had a sandy bridge 2600 with Nvidia GTX 580 and it used to run PMDG NGK 737 OK ish
just don't expect to have too high a setting

Still Learning
Senior Airman

Post by Still Learning »

How are you guys defining OK-ish, in terms of fps - if you remember back when you had that computer... Like I said, I'm probably the only one left with a 2600.

Thanks in advance,

Still Learning
As of 8/14/17 | NZXT S340 Elite | AORUS Gaming 7 Z270 | i7 7770K @4.8 GhZ | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11 GB | 16GB DDR 4 RAM @ 2666 MhZ | Samsung EVO 850 SSD 1TB

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

I was getting about 20fps or thereabouts on the ground. Mind you, I did have to lower my settings and do some tweaking to get there, but that's probably offset by FSX:SE being somewhat better optimised.

rlaycock
Airman First Class

Post by rlaycock »

I agree with the above.
Sliders about 2/3 of the way up, FTX NZ installed, I would get about 15 FPS on the ground at NZAA, once in the air 25 to 30 FPS
FPS would take a bit dive with any heavy weather
Not marvolus, but definalty playable
Hope this helps.

Still Learning
Senior Airman

Post by Still Learning »

How much would you say your custom scenery (i.e. Orbx) affected your frame rates? I ask because I don't have any custom scenery...Just a weather engine (FSXWX) and I can't notice an FPS difference. (from before I started using it...)

Thanks...

Still Learning

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Still Learning wrote:How much would you say your custom scenery (i.e. Orbx) affected your frame rates? I ask because I don't have any custom scenery...
Well, I run the sim on rather old PC, and I'd say the effects are really from negligible to unusable without very low settings. Regions around big cities (even the size of Anchorage) take their toll, same goes with larger airfield products. However, I mostly fly cross-country to/from more rural places, and my frames are very little affected by Orbx while the scenery is improved drastically.

To quantify, at quite high settings, I get 50+ FPS in rural areas, down to maybe 40 with AS16 overcast layers. Move into LAX for instance, and I go down to 20 or somewhat below even, if not touching the settings. This would be with A2A Comanche, for example FSL A320 which is rather heavy keeps me at around 30 fps in smaller places.

-Esa

Mickel
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mickel »

I was running the k at 3.4GHz with an Orbx world underneath. I was more VAS limited than chip speed limited, so you'd be fine. It's not always going to be butter smooth, but generally manageable.
Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, Civvie 'stang, P-40, B-377 COTS, Spitfire, Connie, T-6, C-172, C-182, D-III, Anson, F4U

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”