Flight Sim World

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Daube
Staff Sergeant

Re: Flight Sim World

Post by Daube »

Medtner wrote:[
And also, what have people seen in FSW that makes them want to jump ship?
I don't know... perhaps a 25 dollars simulator that already includes FTX textures, a bit more modern graphical effects ('dem raindrops ! :P ), and 64 bits to complete a flight without OOMs ?
Have they actually seen what P3D can do, and does with incredible stability and beauty (granted, one has to have a powerful machine)?
I'm a P3Dv3 happy user... well, happy as long as I stay away from any big airport and I don't try to fly for more than 2 hours. Else I get an OOM.
Ah yes, I can reduce my graphical settings and also kill all of my AI traffic, yes. However, another part of me thinks it's 2017.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Daube wrote:
Medtner wrote:[
And also, what have people seen in FSW that makes them want to jump ship?
I don't know... perhaps a 25 dollars simulator that already includes FTX textures, a bit more modern graphical effects ('dem raindrops ! :P ), and 64 bits to complete a flight without OOMs ?
Have they actually seen what P3D can do, and does with incredible stability and beauty (granted, one has to have a powerful machine)?
I'm a P3Dv3 happy user... well, happy as long as I stay away from any big airport and I don't try to fly for more than 2 hours. Else I get an OOM.
Ah yes, I can reduce my graphical settings and also kill all of my AI traffic, yes. However, another part of me thinks it's 2017.

Yeah, I was thinking the same until a few days ago, when I found two items that got rid of my OOMs without having less than full graphics. I've been plagued with 20-30 minute trips leading to OOMs, so I know how frustrating it is.

What worked for me was turning of Shader Cache in my nVidia control panel, as well as turning off hyper-threading on my CPU. Simple changes, with enormous effect. Haven't had an OOM since.

I planned a long trip with the Connie, fully loaded (real weather, all addons, traffic, and so on), from ENCN Kjevik to LOWI Innsbruck (orbx). No OOM. I was almost in tears of joy.

So P3D can do it, but the problem (and it is a huge problem) is that one seems to have to help it along with small tweaks to make it suit your machine.

I welcome the 64-bits, but will not move until Accusim is there. :-)
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

You are right, these two tricks are extremely efficient indeed.
And I have already disabled the shader cache as recommended, a few months ago. However, I'm not disabling the HT on my i7 CPU because it's quite an old model which is not so powerful, and the HT is quite helpfull against the blurries. ;)
With such a configuration though, I can fly normal aircrafts (means anything excepted complex liners) for quite a long time (several hours) as long as I stay away from major platforms. And that's good enough, for now :)

lowflyr
Airman

Post by lowflyr »

Setting an affinity mask per the calculator at http://www.gatwick-fsg.org.uk/affinitym ... m=hardware cured my crashes. I'm running an i7 3970x oc'd to 4.5 and was having ctd's like crazy. A2A aircraft worked fine for the most part but my PMDG 737 would crash the sim every time. Even rolling back my clock didn't seem to help.

Count me among those (im)patiently waiting for a viable 64-bit sim.

DrumsArt
Staff Sergeant

Post by DrumsArt »

DrumsArt wrote:
CAPFlyer wrote:
DrumsArt wrote:64bits ? Sure (FsLab A320, PMDG) but especially with P3D V4 in which I have more confidence...until proven otherwise...Clearly !
This right here is what has me confused. There is even more vaporware rumor in this statement than in FSW but yet so many people are convinced that P3D V4 is coming, that it'll be 64-bit, all new graphics engine, all new this, all new that, and yet there hasn't been a SINGLE announcement from Lockheed that v4 actually exists beyond a plan right now. In fact, I've seen at least 2 articles where Lockheed specifically says they've not confirmed ANYTHING for the next version of P3D yet, so why is it that everyone is so confident that a program with 1/10 the sales of XPlane and FSX is a "for sure" thing?

Guys, slow your roll, wait for more information, then make an informed decision. DTG is hosting a stream today at 1800BST/1300EDT showing off more of FSW and answering questions. I suspect a lot of the open questions about the game will be answered then and we can have more substantial discussions instead of making "factual" statements about rumors.

https://www.twitch.tv/dovetailgames
Ok, well received, you'r right :) ... I'll just make a correction to what I wrote...

64bits ? Sure (FsLab A320, PMDG) but especially if P3D in which I have more confidence, makes a 64bits V4 version...until proven otherwise...Clearly !
For the rest, I do not change a comma :P .
Regards,
So, finally I correct again my previous post :
64bits ? Sure (FsLab A320, PMDG) but especially with P3D in which I have more confidence...Clearly ! 8)

That said for all the other planes with which I have no OOM problem, I remain for the moment with Fsx Acc with all my addons. I will not buy everything again at once.

As for "Raindrop Simulator", thanks but no thanks....for now...until proven otherwise...just imo of course.

Thank you and Regards,
Richard Portier
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel i7-4770K [email protected] x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB|Windows10 Pro 64|Fsx Accel|P3Dv4.5HF2|Rex|Saitek Pro Flight Yoke/Rudder/Quadrant/Switch Panel|ThrustMaster Hotas Warthog|ActiveSky P3Dv4+Asca|Mce|All A2A

bastins
Senior Airman

Post by bastins »

Medtner wrote:And also, what have people seen in FSW that makes them want to jump ship?
No one's jumping ship. FSW is in Early Access; still very much under development, and not intended to pry anyone away from their current $1,000+ sims.

So, why are people bothering with FSW at all, then? Because it's an opportunity to get involved with the development of a flight sim from the very beginning. If Dovetail sticks to their word that they're going to listen to the community, this is a great opportunity for us to create the sim we want, and not simply accept what a developer thought we wanted.

I chuckle when I see someone storm out of the room and vow to never touch FSW again because it can't do X, or doesn't do Y. If you want something done differently, get on the forums and tell them. That's what Early Access is for.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I think I'm like many here, just biding time to see what happens. I have many $$$ invested in FSX, but it's still a very buggy program. My installation is huge in terms of disk space and takes forever to start. So I'd love a shiny new 64 bit sim, but not if I can't use my A2A planes, Orbx scenery and TIR5. After reading this thread through (I've been in NZ for the last month, so offline) I'm still not sure as to whether FSW will be the same open ended architecture as FSX either. I'm also hanging out for comment from A2A about their intentions with FSW, but it's a sign that there are still to many unknowns for them to clarify their position re FSW.

And what of freeware?? I don't use that as much as I used to, but over the last 6 weeks, Milton Shupe has released some old favourites in dedicated FSX format (Aero Commanders and Spartan), so I'll still want to fly them in the new sim. But the point is, does freeware have a 64bit future??

It's great that DTG is listening to the community and I may get involved just to be a part of the development and add my 2 bobs worth to that, since it's not expensive. I may also look at P3D V4, but I'll hang off on that as I'm not at all familiar with it.

Given the above proviso's, I wish DTG well with their efforts.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

Some of of you guys are so amusing. You will buy a 135 virtual airplane for P3d but will not cough up 25 bucks for 7 nice looking and flying virtual aircraft that come with a free simulator.
Paul Grubich 2018
Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

As I have said in other forums, the lack of FSUIPC and the Lua capability makes
FSW a no-go for me.

When it comes time for me to leave FSX it will be to P3D V4 or whatever, as Pete Dowson
will bw creating a new FSUIPC5 for P3D x64.

DTG have stated that they do not want FSUIPC-like addons in the FSW environment and
all interfacing will be done via simconnect.
Paul
i7-4790K @4.4Ghz OC - ASUS Z97-A- 16GB Corsair 1600mHz - GTX 760 2GB
240GB + 500GB EVO SSD's - 2x500GB and 1x2TB WD Black 7200 RPM drives

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I'm not tied down to fsupic. Sure it is a great piece of software but if I can do the same thing using another program then I'm good To go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Warbirds wrote:Some of of you guys are so amusing. You will buy a 135 virtual airplane for P3d but will not cough up 25 bucks for 7 nice looking and flying virtual aircraft that come with a free simulator.
The issue being they dont' look any nicer than P3d, apart from the faux raindrops, and they cannot fly any better because its still the same flight model for both sim and aircraft, so remind us again what's free about being sold the same thing, again? As I said elsewhere I tested the DA42 in FSW and it seems to have exactly the same faults as in FSX, plus some new ones.

That isn't worth a cent.

jabloomf1230
Airman First Class

Flight Sim World

Post by jabloomf1230 »

Warbirds wrote:Some of of you guys are so amusing. You will buy a 135 virtual airplane for P3d but will not cough up 25 bucks for 7 nice looking and flying virtual aircraft that come with a free simulator.
Don't you actually mean $25 and the another $135 for that same virtual airplane? I can barely afford two flight sims (P3d and XP) let alone tons of addons for each flight sim. And then there's the constant drudgery of keeping each flight sim and its addons up to date.

Taka taka
Senior Airman

Post by Taka taka »

How much better can it get?

Fly an A2A aircraft with EZCA, some ORBX like scenery a weather engine and a good GPS and if you are not actually flying a plane and not, playing a game I'd say you're doing it wrong.

I don't have errors, OOMs, et cetera.
I am stupid and happy.
"Spring Chicken to Shite Hawk in one easy lesson...taka taka taka taka..."

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I agree with the above statement -- I have very little problems with FSX Steam Edition loaded with scenery and weather enhancements.

That said, I think Flight Sim World has promise as a low-cost, entry level simulation for anyone who is only interested in GA flying and ORBX terrain.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

Well, FSW might have had some chance, but after P3D 4... Nope. I will keep on using FSX. It works just fine, I don't get crashes, it looks decent enough. Sure, upgrading to P3D will increase performance and quality, but considering what I already invested in FSX... That's not feasible. In any case, I predict we have around 1 year of strong FSX presence, before developers start to slowly drop mod development for it. Might be a bit longer, depending how FSW does. After that, it will go the same way as FS9.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”