Steve's DX10 Fixer - Yay or Nay?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
pressler
Senior Airman

Steve's DX10 Fixer - Yay or Nay?

Post by pressler »

I have been using MSFS since it's inception. I am currently using FSX:SE. I have applied most of the FSX.cfg tweaks to optimize things out. I am fairly content with the way things are performing. I have been contemplating a switch over to P3D, but just cannot pull the trigger on the cost. However, if LM ever gets P3D developed for 64bit, I may reconsider, but for now I am curious on whether or not to purchase and apply Steve's DX10 Fixer or wait out the race to the next major sim release to see if DTG or LM crosses the 64bit threshold. From what I have read and seen so far, the DX10 Fixer would be an excellent investment, but I'm in sort of a quandary because I'm satisfied pretty much with the setup I currently have vs trying to stretch a little more eye candy into my sim and maybe a little more optimization. So, I'm looking for some advice here. Thanks in advance for any recommendations, suggestions or advice!

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Re: Steve's DX10 Fixer - Yay or Nay?

Post by bullfox »

The fixer is a big plus in FSX. I have no experience in Steam by which to judge. However, perhaps Murphy's rule of thumb applies: If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

1SgtMajor
Staff Sergeant

Post by 1SgtMajor »

As I recall....it was a very good addition to FSX, however, there was a couple issues on payware aircraft I was flying. If I recall correctly.....it WASN'T Steve's DX10 Fixer that was a problem......it was some issues I had between a few payware aircraft and DX10 in general.....something Steve's fixer could not correct for. With that said....... my payware aircraft meant more to me than running DX10. (Smile)

Going from memory.......(Which is an ever increasing challenge these days....smile)........I want to say running DX10 was a conflict with my RealAir Simulation aircraft. A2A and RealAir Simulation aircraft are a "Must Have" for me.......most of the others I could have lived without.

Cheers!!
Steve R.
SgtMajor, USMC (Retired)

ImageImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Its a must have for all FSX users IMO. Never had any issues with it and it delivered too much to not have including immersive shadows in the VC (You cannot underestimate the immersion of watching a shadow move across your panel as you make a turn etc), better realistic bloom in the sim and better performance on modern hardware as the GPU takes care of a little more of the needed power to run the sim.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

cristi.neagu
Staff Sergeant

Post by cristi.neagu »

I am interested in this as well. Thing is, I don't really have any issues in DX10 mode, apart from the missing tooltips. But A2A cockpits are detailed enough to make tooltips useless. So unless there's a clear benefit, I'm reluctant to move over to it if it has potential downsides.

On a related note, can the fixer be safely uninstalled, or does it break FSX?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Easy to install and uninstall yes
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

pressler
Senior Airman

Post by pressler »

Thanks for all of your replies so far! It seems I can run DX10 Preview with no issues with my aircraft - haha...not sure if that means anything tho. I think I will pull the trigger and see what happens. I can probably get some mileage with it as it may take some time yet to get the 64bit sims tested and into the market. Anyway, thanks again for those that responded!!!

Moggster
Senior Airman

Post by Moggster »

With the dx10 fix, do you not lose the mouse cursor text pop-up box?

pressler
Senior Airman

Post by pressler »

I thought I read somewhere that you lose some tool tips, but I haven't seen that so far.

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

You loose tool tips in full screen but still have them in windowed mode.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

TuFun
Senior Airman

Post by TuFun »

I've thought about this also for FSX-SE, but since I have P3Dv.3 all that is there and even more like proper metal reflections instead of static.

And it's cool to see the clouds shadows flickering on the aircraft and in the cockpit the shadows from the clouds change in intensity from the sun.

For P3Dv.4 64, there was mention a new lighting system similar to PBR. Good stuff for use artist!

thunderstreak
Staff Sergeant

Post by thunderstreak »

I understand there are issues using multiple monitors in full screen mode with Steve's DX10 Fixer, so as of yet I haven't tried it.
I have 3 monitors for cockpit view and a 4th for GPS, ATC and other pop up controls.

Patiently awaiting a proven 64 bit sim! :shock:
FSX B377 L049 Spit P40 P47 P51x2 T-6 Cub WOPII P-40 Corsair Anson HE-219 Accu-Feel AL&S
P3Dv5 L049 T-6 172 182 PA-24 PA-28 Spit P-51x2 P-40 Bonanza B-17 Accu-Feel

[email protected], ASUS Z170-P 32GB DDR4 2133 RTX 2070 8GB Win10Pro P3Dv5.1 HF1

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

Tooltips? Why does one need tooltips? Would anyone jump in a plane, take off and not know what all the switches and levers are? I think not. :D

Not a bad day today, only one 'meh' :D

Oh, get DX10 fixer, use it for a week (if that) then go back to DX9. Make sure you have a stout brown paper bag handy!
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

cheapcharlie
Airman First Class

Post by cheapcharlie »

It's outstanding and a perfect match for fsx - se

I have all shadows and bloom enabled with no frame hit at all

Transforms the sim so it's got a lot of P3D features but without have to start from scratch and then double up on many add ons

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Zoran

pressler
Senior Airman

Post by pressler »

Thanks for the comments everyone! I did pull the trigger on Steves DX10 Fixer and Cloud Shadows. It is awesome in my FSX-SE. I haven't encountered any issues thus far "knock on wood'.

@Ron, I use tool tips because in many of the VCs it is difficult to see - not to determine the controls, but the settings of the controls. For example, hdg bug, in G1000 cockpits, it can be difficult to see unless I set-up a closer view but in many cases I lose sight of keeping straight and level flight if I'm hand flying, so I use the tool tip to confirm I set the heading correctly. Maybe if I weren't so old, I could see better. Sometimes I will pop-up the 2D control, but rarely anymore. :p

Nevertheless, I have more eye candy now with plenty of VAS to spare. The only issue I've had with VAS is in AH2 where you can set it to show your fleet parked at the airport you're currently at...and well....with 15 AI aircraft in my fleet and they are all sitting on the ramp at TNCM (FlyTamps St. Maartin payware scenery) my VAS literally choked down and gagged up last week's chicken! hahahaha...I just turned them off after that and have MyTraffic Pro 6 running that I have aircraft around so I don't sit on an empty ramp like a dork.

Cheers!

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”