Why I've come to like props more than Jets...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Why I've come to like props more than Jets...

Post by Scott - A2A »

Dooga wrote:Tbh I've never understood why a lot of people are so fixated on jetliners, in real live or in sims
I think it's because to many people who dream of flying, the tubeliner is their only experience. So when they think of flight, it comes in the shape of a jet. And that means being a pilot on a complex jet, managing systems and an entire flight. So flying the tubeliner in the sim is a simulation of their dream. That's all we're really doing with simulations - building a dream.

Others think of flying small planes, others Warbirds, jets, even gliders, etc.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Scott - A2A wrote:
Dooga wrote:Tbh I've never understood why a lot of people are so fixated on jetliners, in real live or in sims
I think it's because to many people who dream of flying, the tubeliner is their only experience. So when they think of flight, it comes in the shape of a jet. And that means being a pilot on a complex jet, managing systems and an entire flight. So flying the tubeliner in the sim is a simulation of their dream. That's all we're really doing with simulations - building a dream.

Others think of flying small planes, others Warbirds, jets, even gliders, etc.

Scott.

one thing is flying and one thing is knowing and managing a complex system.

And reduced to Flightsim there were just no piston engines before A2A that needed your attention. I think it was FS2000 where MS had inclueded some videos with Rod Machado (!!) talking about how he loves to fly on Flight Simulator with the C182. He said he uses the autopilot as often as possible and that would be so much fun... Sry but yeah.. what do you expect? Of course I don't know the number of your customers, Scott, but I am very sure there are still a LOT of people who have started with FS95, 98, 2000, know the crappy default Cessnas and have quickly moved to Level D, PMDG, Wilco Publishing and so on... I am sure, many of them have never tried Accusim and even have no idea that it exists. So, compared to the default airplanes that came with early FS versions and still come even with P3D, any tubeliner is an amazing experience in realism. (Just try to land the Majestics Q400 without any RW experience in bad weather conditions..) I love flying the PMDG jets too.. I've trained myself on the 737 for years and a few months ago a friend of mine who flys 737 for KLM made it possible to use the 737 Simulator for 4 hours.. It was simply amazing, combined with my real world flying experience (mostly ASK13, C172 and DA20) I was able to manage and fly that 60 tons 737 on the sim.

But most people who use FSX never have flown real airplanes. They have no idea about the physics and the behaviour of a real aircraft that gets lighter and lighter with speed, that needs an elevator trim because your arms fall off and not because it won't hold its pitch.. Or what it means to prevent a high wing C172 from floating on the ground effect. FSX is horrible concerning those real aviation effects. Even Accusim gives people not more than an idea of what flying actually is. And then of course it's a lot about the scenery. Default FSX scenery is boring. There's not much to see and no beauty at all. So why not just cruising around at FL380? Of course I can only speak for myself but If you (well, I) want to really enjoy a prop like the A2A SEPs, I have to spend a lot of money for addon scenery too... I love both, flying high and low... but I'm also quite sure 5000€ is not enough that have flown into my FSX and P3D (the PC excluded) since I can't fly in RW anymore.. With my priorities for eye candy being as important as system accuracy (and be it your Cub) flying only the PMDG tubes would be much much cheaper :? :lol:

Greets and happy landings
Marc

btw: the other day I was out there for a dinner with Heidi and Cub.. she was quite hungry and I tried to get a 75kg me, a 55kg Heidi and a J-3 with floats off the lake.. It was the first time I actually thought about one of those three things a pilot doesn't need to care about: the altitude below orbit ;)

Cheers :D

bucky60
Airman

Post by bucky60 »

Scott - A2A wrote:Well, I think many have it backwards in that, the smaller the wing and faster the plane, in many ways the easier it is to land.
Scott.
It's why I liked the Short Wing Pipers, like the Tripacer. Easy to land. Better in wind. And better in weather. I never went out in bad weather, but when I was taking lessons, the instructor took me out in poor weather when the school grounded all the Cessna's. Now I have nothing against Cessna's and not trying to put them down. Just saying what I liked about the Tripacer.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”