New to flight simulation - FSX Steam

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
prflyer
Airman

New to flight simulation - FSX Steam

Post by prflyer »

I am new to flight simulation and intend to purchase FSX Steam so that I can buy and use the A2A Comanche 250. I have never used a flight sim before. When I go to the steam store, there are a number of "bundles" of packages that are sometimes sold together with FSX. Should I just get the regular FSX Steam without any add ons - or is there a "must have" bundle I should get.

Thanks,

Fernando

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: New to flight simulation - FSX Steam

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Fernando and welcome to the forums,

before advising, can you let us know what you plan to do with the sim. Eg is it a new hobby you are looking into, is it some flight training purposes, or are you a pilot wanting the ability to just have some practice at home etc?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

prflyer
Airman

Post by prflyer »

Thanks Lewis.

I am an instrument rated private pilot, and I'm looking to do some practice flying at home. I have also have recently met Scott and Jake -- and saw first hand their beautiful Comanche -- and would like to see how that airplane flies in the sim. Scott tells me its very close to the real thing!

There are so many add ons to FSX that for a newbie like me it is quite intimidating. I have no idea if I need or want any of those.

Thanks again.

Fernando

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

prflyer wrote:Thanks Lewis.

I am an instrument rated private pilot, and I'm looking to do some practice flying at home. I have also have recently met Scott and Jake -- and saw first hand their beautiful Comanche -- and would like to see how that airplane flies in the sim. Scott tells me its very close to the real thing!

There are so many add ons to FSX that for a newbie like me it is quite intimidating. I have no idea if I need or want any of those.

Thanks again.

Fernando
Just buy the FSX and the Comanche. I have over 2000 hours in FSX and only payware i have are the airplanes. If you feel you need something, then check them out, there are better sceneries, even for free, better textures for free, payware airports, weather engines... you name it...

_ME2_
Airman First Class

Post by _ME2_ »

you might also consider Prepar3d as your simulator. It's essentially the same platform as FSX but is continuously modernized an improved by Lockheed Martin. I have used both for years and prefere Prepar3d because it is more stable and makes much better use of modern computer hardware.
A2A release their new aircraft for both platforms.

edit: http://www.prepar3d.com

cheers, mike
Cherockee 180 / Comanche 250 / Constellation L049

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I would agree with Alfredson007 that as a new comer to flight simming you should not go overboard until you've had a chance to research what is available and whether you can or cannot live/sim without specific add-ons. I would also add that your cash would be more wisely spent on a good controller and TrackIR. A good quality controller will add immensely to the experience. I use a Saitek X52 Pro and like it for the P-51, P-40 and Texan but would like to upgrade to a yoke and throttle quadrant for some of the A2A aircraft like the B377, Connie and B-17. I hope to purchase pedals at some point as well.

If you really want to "get your head in the game", TrackIR is a must.

There are other add-ons that some deem unnecessary but I find invaluable. I purchased FSUIPC for better control over my axis assignments and I use the free-ware/donate program LINDA (requires FSUIPC to work) for button assignments. I would not want to sim without either one of those.

Welcome to the Flight Sim community Fernando. You will find that simmers are a good group of people. Here on the A2A Forums you will find there are some with a wealth of knowledge and very willing to help.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

Much (perhaps most) of the DLC offered for FSX through the Steam Store is of dubious value IMO. There are some solid 'must haves' that you can buy through other vendors. I recommend you get FSX up and running first, learn the ropes and familiarize yourself with the stock aircraft and the A2A aircraft you choose to add. After that, approach all your upgrades individually and solicit advice about each so you make informed purchases. Addons can take a cumulative toll on performance; some aren't compatible with others; and many are overpriced junk.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

prflyer
Airman

Post by prflyer »

Thanks everyone. Looks like I will just go ahead with FSX steam by itself now while I learn the ropes.

Fernando

KennethLHanz
Airman Basic

Post by KennethLHanz »

Godspeed in your journey my friend.

FSX Steam is a great one to start with.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

1. Fsx steam edition
2. Active sky next or 2016
3. Rex 4 texture direct
4. Accusim plane

Those are 4 must haves for flight sim. Flying and weather are so intertwined, realistic weather is a must have. Rex 4 makes everything look more realistic. Accusim planes are as real as it gets. Everything else is extra.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”