input devices and aircaft control

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

input devices and aircaft control

Post by dvm »

I have been reading lately quite a few threads on uncontrollable aircraft on take off mostly the Mustang seems to be the problem. I am wondering how much the joystick/yokes and rudder pedals one is using contributes to the overall control ease or lack of. I am sure lack of experience is a contributing factor as to why some folks are having trouble. With my setup I have very little trouble with the Mustang on takeoff. I am no wizard but I do have quite a bit of experience and I can't help thinking my setup contributes to my lack of problems. I just recently setup a system for an elderly friend of mine CH yoke and pedals. I had some issues controlling the aircraft without Track IR and what I consider to be the clunky pitch axis on the yoke. As far as the takeoff goes I have noticed an improvement in control on my system since I got MY Crosswind pedals (1 year in service). Landing in a crosswind is noticeably easier than before with the new pedals, the T-6 is a good example. I am sure that using a secured joystick (bolted down) helps me and the lack of friction makes for more precise control in my opinion. I have owned both the Saitek and CH yokes but feel more in control with the joystick. I just recently bloviated on the subject of control setup and have included the link to the thread. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed an improvement in control based on an improvement their controls setup ?

"To bloviate is a man's God given right!"

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=58932

_ME2_
Airman First Class

Re: input devices and aircaft control

Post by _ME2_ »

Switching from an old Logitech joystick which I had to use with huge deadzones to a Thrustmaster 16000M (which is incredibly precise) changed my ability to fly the A2A birds dramatically. Especially my landings improved a lot since I got used to the new stick. Having fine and precise control during the flare is critical for a smooth touchdown.
Rudder peddals will be my next investment as crosswind landings are tricky when having to twist for the rudder input. (I know the technique but can't apply it properly with my controls).
A decent yoke would also be desirable. But a quality produt like yoko the yoke is way out of my budget right now..
Cherockee 180 / Comanche 250 / Constellation L049

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

_ME2_ wrote:Switching from an old Logitech joystick which I had to use with huge deadzones to a Thrustmaster 16000M (which is incredibly precise) changed my ability to fly the A2A birds dramatically. Especially my landings improved a lot since I got used to the new stick. Having fine and precise control during the flare is critical for a smooth touchdown.
Rudder peddals will be my next investment as crosswind landings are tricky when having to twist for the rudder input. (I know the technique but can't apply it properly with my controls).
A decent yoke would also be desirable. But a quality produt like yoko the yoke is way out of my budget right now..
+1. This is especially true with A2A C172, but also with other A2A planes. Also in DCS world too. The most important thing for stick is to be precise and smooth, and T16000 does this very well and is cheap. I'd also recommend to have some sort of solution to get the joystick somewhat lower than your regular desk, i am using table's keyboard tray.

Rudder pedals are also important, but their accuracy or smoothness is not that important, as long as they work and are ergonomic to use

_ME2_
Airman First Class

Post by _ME2_ »

Alfredson007 wrote: Rudder pedals are also important, but their accuracy or smoothness is not that important, as long as they work and are ergonomic to use
That's actually nice to know, thanks! :wink:
cheers, mike
Cherockee 180 / Comanche 250 / Constellation L049

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

I have saitek yoke and pedals which I use mostly.
I also have an old Microsoft Sidewinder joystick (non-centring).
I agree that if possible have the joystick down below the table. I have a box beside my chair arm rest so my elbow is stabilised on the chair while I use the stick.
Since P3D is so easy to import control configurations, I swap between joystick and yoke depending on the plane. Helicopters, planes and gliders with stick control I switch to the joystick since it doesn't have the centring detent mostly, otherwise I just use it because it matches the aircraft.
Yes it would be nice to have more expensive hardware, but the planes can be flown very well with basic joystick/rudder pedals setup.
Cheers
Trev

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”