My new FSX Joystick

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
AustinRDavert
Airman Basic

My new FSX Joystick

Post by AustinRDavert »

Hey everyone!

I thought that I would share pictures of my new joystick. I recently bought the MadCatz Fly 5. I previously was using the Saitek AV8R joystick. I've tried different sticks before, and I really needed one that would be light to control. So far, I have no complaints. It seems to be running great with my A2A library ;) I wondered what control setup you guys have?

Austin Davert

Image[/URL]

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Re: My new FSX Joystick

Post by Ian Warren »

:D Austin , I had to move away from joysticks, I'm all left handed and thumbs, they simply did not make a stick to suit me so I went YOKE ! , mind you in saying that when ever feel the need for a bitta shoot em up stuff , that there Yoke becomes a little bit of a Joke unless of course your flying and fighting in a P-38.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Very cool man, gotta say...

Until recently I was using an old Microsoft Sidewinder joy stick. Now I have the Thrustmaster T.16000FCS stick and HOTAS throttle. No rudder pedals yet.

Keep on flying!

Seeya
ATB

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I've been using my trusty MS Sidewinder 3D Precision Pro since sometime in the late 90's/early 2000's. I can't remember when I acquired it. The thing just won't give up and I've only had to disassemble it once for a good cleaning.

Saitek Rudder Pedals, Saitek Throttle Quadrant and that's it.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Well I admit I dont fly with a stick and tend to use my Freestyle Pro sensor pad most of the time :oops: :oops: I learn to sim fly with it and though I can use a yoke just fine I have never really used a joystick :shock:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

CrownCityMisfit
Senior Airman

Post by CrownCityMisfit »

Awesome upgrade!

The Saitek AV8R was my first joystick too. I still keep it in the closet because "one day" I plan on hacking it apart just so I can use the toggle switches.

Currently I use CH Products Combatstick, Pro Pedals and Pro Throttle when I fly the warbirds or Cub.

I recently purchased the CH Products Eclipse yoke for the majority of my general aviation flying. I absolutely love it in combination with the Pro Pedals.

10900k | 3090 | Win10 | C4D | Adobe Suite | Cinema 4D | Unity
MSFS |The Skypark | Orbx | Milviz | PMDG | anxiously waiting for A2A
Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | CH Pro Pedals |Stream Deck XL

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

I have been through most of the joysticks, yokes, throttles and rudder pedals but these days only use an Xbox 360 controller. Simple to use, takes up less space and the setup is easy. I use the right stick for aileron/elevator and the two front flipper axis for rudder.
Paul Grubich 2018
Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

Austin, from one of the photos you posted in an earlier thread it looks like you just completed a new system build? What are your specs (CPU, MB, GC, etc)?

Hobart Escin

Post by Hobart Escin »

Warbirds wrote:I have been through most of the joysticks, yokes, throttles and rudder pedals but these days only use an Xbox 360 controller. Simple to use, takes up less space and the setup is easy. I use the right stick for aileron/elevator and the two front flipper axis for rudder.
Typical Airbus pilot (kidding). :lol:

AustinRDavert
Airman Basic

Post by AustinRDavert »

Hobart Escin wrote:Austin, from one of the photos you posted in an earlier thread it looks like you just completed a new system build? What are your specs (CPU, MB, GC, etc)?
Yes, I did build a gaming PC! It was awesome! It was a while ago, but it still runs great on FSX.

Specs-
CPU- Intel Core i7 4770K
MOBO- Gigabyte Z87-D3HP
GPU- EVGA GTX 780 SC (Now a EVGA GTX 1070 SC)
RAM- 16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport
SSD- Samsung 840 EVO 250gb
HDD- Western Digital Black 2TB
PSU- EVGA SuperNova 750W G2

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

A lot of people might hate me.....but I guess you could say after 10 years I'm a collector :lol: :lol:

My Flight Gear:
Ch Yoke
Ch Rudder Petals
Ch Throttle Quadrant {747 Style, I use it for Turbo Prop Charter Flights in a Piper Saratoga}
Ch Fighter Stick {Hotas Style Stick}
Ch Pro Throttle {Hotas Style Throttle}
Saitek TPM {Cessna Style} Throttle system
Saitek Switch Pannel
Saitek Cessna Style Trim Wheel
I might have forgotten something.

Oh yes and then Track IR5, a G27 Driving Wheel (Because I stink at racing Yay for ETS2, ATS, and other driving sims lol)....and then these two computers and five keyboards....oh and then... :P :P :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes I am very very fortunate to have what I have. I also have this "gaming" hobby to blame for being extremely passionate about my major: Information Systems and Information Technology.

I might sometime post a setup post and my opinions / reviews of what I have. Especially considering some of my gear is 10 years old, interesting to see how it compares to new products.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

First let me say we all have different ideas and expectations as far as the immersion factor goes. Once you have the most realistic setup you can afford etc. I think you would never go back. My own system with properly placed controls and a tactile device is as good as it gets with the exception of a simpit such as Raceguy's in my opinion. I like to fly a variety of airplanes so I am not sure how much a model dedicated simpit would add to my immersion. For the fellows that use game controllers such as the Xbox it seems you are missing out on the immersion factor which is an important part of the overall deal for me. So plopping a joystick on the desktop or using a game controller seems more like a game than simulated flying. Some of my stuff is homemade and I realize everyone does not have the skill or is interested in building. If you have a joystick/yoke pedals and a throttle I highly recommend you attempt to place them in a realistic position and bolt them down. A comfortable seat is also an asset. One of the benefits of this configuration is more precise control. Just my opinion of course. Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say so maybe give it a try.
To bloviate is a man's God given right.

Can you see the difference ? :D

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”