One Crazy Dude!

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

One Crazy Dude!

Post by cflord »

Check out this skydive from 25,000 feet and landing without a parachute. No room for error on the accuracy of the landing. I have 932 skydives and even I would of never attempted such a feat!
Allow time for the video to fully load before viewing.

http://surprise.ly/v/?PK0Hl0kWELE:0:0:0:100

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :o :shock:

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Re: One Crazy Dude!

Post by aonyn »

YIKES!!!!

I was tense just watching that, even though I was sure enough you would not have posted if it had gone wrong.

My Grandfather was with the 82nd, myself, I don't think I'd jump from a perfectly good airplane, even with a parachute.

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

aonyn, jumping is a blast. How old is your grandfather? I'm a grandfather and I once was stationed at Pope AFB in 1975-1983. I was a USAF C-130E Flight Engineer with the 41st Tactical Airlift Squadron. We use to drop the 82nd Airborne from Fort Bragg all the time. I would not know your grandfather by name; but if he was at Fort Bragg when I was at Pope AFB, I may have dropped him a time or two!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :D

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

You must have missed him by 35 to 40 years. :)
He was in WWII. Unfortunately, he passed away about 2 years ago.

He started in the Merchant Marines because he was 16 when the war started, then enlisted and became a paratrooper as soon as he was old enough.

My other grandfather was a C-47 pilot.
Hence why you may see me from time to time put a bug in A2A's ears about an accusim C-47, it is a special plane to me. (The Manfred/Visser C-47v3 is quite nice in the meantime of course)
My one grandfather jumped out of them, and the other flew them. :)

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

I wonder what it would take to maintain a net as seen in the video in jump zones as a last resort for the case where a parachute does not open. Even if the jumper doesn't land absolutely correctly in the net the chances of survival are certainly better than not having the net.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

OK Dave, I'm old but not that old! Hahaha. I bet your grandpa was a good man!

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

aonyn wrote:YIKES!!!!

I was tense just watching that, even though I was sure enough you would not have posted if it had gone wrong.

My Grandfather was with the 82nd, myself, I don't think I'd jump from a perfectly good airplane, even with a parachute.

Regards,
Dave

ditto here ! The last beep in your helmet could be God calling you home. :D No matter how good you are skydiving is a dangerous sport in my opinion. If you do it long enough you will very likely get hurt eventually. But I am for having the freedom to do anything you feel like as long as you don't hurt any innocents. I would rather buy it doing something I enjoy than vapor lock in my rocking chair watching the tube. I have been riding motorcycles for over fifty years with only minor spills. Some would say I am crazy and lucky but different strokes for different folks is my motto.

Too bloviate is mans God given right. :lol:

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

cflord wrote:OK Dave, I'm old but not that old! Hahaha. I bet your grandpa was a good man!

Hi Cliff,

Yeah, He was the best man I knew, and I doubt I will ever meet another like him.
I could go on, but I will spare you. I know that I am biased, but on that note, I never found anyone who did not have exactly the same sentiment about him, including outside of family.

All that said, he was from a generation, as I am certain many (most / even all) here would agree, which was exceptional.

Regards,
Dave

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I think this is a stunt that goes way beyond just crazy. It has the biggest pucker factor of any stint I've ever seen.!!!! :shock:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”