P3D 64-bit

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
CrownCityMisfit
Senior Airman

P3D 64-bit

Post by CrownCityMisfit »

Well, this is now a raging topic at Avsim and Orbx, and it's starting to show up in conversations concerning aircraft developers.

What is A2A planning on doing when P3D v4 releases? Minimal upgrade fee to install aircraft? New license required? Free?

Any insight would be great. I also understand if this topic can't be discussed it right now.

Thanks!

Aaron
10900k | 3090 | Win10 | C4D | Adobe Suite | Cinema 4D | Unity
MSFS |The Skypark | Orbx | Milviz | PMDG | anxiously waiting for A2A
Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | CH Pro Pedals |Stream Deck XL

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Re: P3D 64-bit

Post by Caldemeyn »

Well, its high time something along those lines happened :) . Hope its not all just hype.

Its a good time to be a simmer :)

CrownCityMisfit
Senior Airman

Caldemeyn wrote:Well, its high time something along those lines happened :) . Hope its not all just hype.

Its a good time to be a simmer :)
Yeah the hype train is at full throttle. Some even extrapolated (from an offhand comment) that it releases this Friday. Most know this isn't true. As far as I can tell, there is enough legit info to determine we will see it in 2017. Orbx has officially announced a free upgrade to v4. Still no confirmation from LM that v4 is indeed 64-bit, but JV at Orbx has been telegraphing this bombshell for quite a while. Some trust him. Some don't.

I will sleep easier once I know A2A is in the loop. That's all I'd like to know, really. Details not important at this point.

Katana1000
Senior Airman

Post by Katana1000 »

Interesting, been holding off installing P3D on my new build because I guessed a newer version may be out soon ... will go check out what's happening on the other forums tomorrow.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

I don't ever have OOMs in P3D, so 64 bit for me, has no value at all. My version 3.4 runs smooth as silk.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

We have no plans at this time as we have no idea what will be required, if new software will have to be built what changes might be needed etc. Aircraft are an utterly different area to for example scenery design. Changes in the host platform can mean massive changes or totally new products for one but not the other and vice versa.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Katana1000
Senior Airman

Post by Katana1000 »

bobsk8 wrote:I don't ever have OOMs in P3D, so 64 bit for me, has no value at all. My version 3.4 runs smooth as silk.
Its more the move to faster flight load times that 64 bit could and should bring that I'm looking forward to, know how to keep OOM's in check too, but many still are plagued by them it seems.

CrownCityMisfit
Senior Airman

Lewis - A2A wrote:We have no plans at this time as we have no idea what will be required, if new software will have to be built what changes might be needed etc. Aircraft are an utterly different area to for example scenery design. Changes in the host platform can mean massive changes or totally new products for one but not the other and vice versa.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
Thanks Lewis!

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

Don't forget the new lighting system.

Chris
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

CrownCityMisfit
Senior Airman

Tutmeister wrote:Don't forget the new lighting system.
Yes that may be the biggest draw for those seeking a visual improvement. Very much looking forward to the first batch of screenshots.

pilotman767
Airman First Class

Post by pilotman767 »

I too have been putting off my new build pending the inevitable P3D-64 bit. Still running FSXSE and tolerating the crap performance (on my mediocre current system) until the P3D release. I can't wait to see what changes and improvements are made!

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

Katana1000 wrote:
bobsk8 wrote:I don't ever have OOMs in P3D, so 64 bit for me, has no value at all. My version 3.4 runs smooth as silk.
Its more the move to faster flight load times that 64 bit could and should bring that I'm looking forward to, know how to keep OOM's in check too, but many still are plagued by them it seems.
N ever heard your claim about faster loading times with 64 bit. Best cure for loading times is an SSD drive.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Katana1000
Senior Airman

Post by Katana1000 »

bobsk8 wrote:
Katana1000 wrote:
N ever heard your claim about faster loading times with 64 bit. Best cure for loading times is an SSD drive.
I do use fast SSD's, was an early adopter of them in fact, but disk speed is not the bottleneck for FSX or P3D flight load times that share the same old grass roots engine that is in fairness over a decade old now, 64 bit can help load times, look at Aerofly FS2 for example, from desktop click to choosing what you want to do to flying you can be airborne in less than a minute, totally different and newer software engine tough.

I wrote "could and should" have improved loading times for flight, but again an old software engine even if re-compiled for 64 bit well can only do so much, we'll just have to wait and see and keep our fingers crossed I guess, the new lighting system at a guess will be the biggest advantage from what I can read between the lines.

As regards what is undoubtedly a new V4 version of P3D and likely require a full charge again knowing LM :) as regards that ... its probably just around the corner now but may not be 64 bit yet, rumours can spread like wildfire in our community, sure its been talked about for some time now by LM and us (the community), but LM do seem to like spinning things out and I'll not mention their real life F-35 here, LOL ... don't want to get political :)

For sure, many simmers including myself ... especially if we have just built new flight sim PC's or are about to, have been holding off installing P3D (of any version) or even buying new add-ons in case they may not work in a 64 bit P3D? so the sooner we know for sure ... one way or another, the better.

For sure, its fine guys like yourself are very happy with the current V3.4, totally fair play ... but I like to embrace something new if it offers better performance or better features. I still have FSX acceleration and FSX Steam on two separate flight sim PC's, and those I always used more than current P3D, so not as anxious as some to see what V4 offers, but it would be folly for me or those in my position to go re-install P3D V3.4 at this point of time with a major new revision almost certainly days or weeks away.

We'll see, nobody's losing out if a new V4 is about to be released and for those choosing to wait and make the jump, we "might" have everything to gain ... nobody but LM, some developers and beta testers know for sure at this point and they rightfully NDA wise are not saying.

slidercdn
Airman

Post by slidercdn »

That's a very subjective matter. If you run all of ORBX and GA aircraft on max settings, you'll never have an OOM. Add in something little bigger, specially PMDG, and you have to back out on several fronts to keep it usable. Also, better hardware utilization.

Katana1000
Senior Airman

Post by Katana1000 »

And it looks like the rumour mill went crazy on this one :)

Checking Avsim and other sources, the imminent new release is probably not P3Dv4 (64 bit or not), a poster elsewhere made some dramatic assumptions about a major new release (probably ORBX Innsbruck) announcement about an announcement soon, put 2 and 2 together and got 5 and assumed it was P3Dv4 and went on to assume it was 64 bit and it all spread like wildfire in the flight sim community :)

No assumption here, just a guess, but I think the important news is ORBX's new Innsbruck scenery that does look very special and seems imminent, we'll see.

I'm sure P3DV4 is being worked on, hope its a 64 bit version this time and when a P3DV4 does get released is anyone's guess ... I guess :)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”