Next GA Plane

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Re: Next GA Plane

Post by mallcott »

Although I appreciate the historic and vintage aircraft, I'd be really keen to see what A2A could do with a modern twin - something like a P2006T, DA42, DA62 or even a Partenavia - plenty of choice there for Rotax, Austro and iron-engine variants. DA did a cracking job on a single Rotax a few years ago (to A2A levels) but no-one has come close since. And there's never been an accurate simulation of FADEC-equipped modern aviation diesels.

The best solution would be for A2A and a.n.other developer to get together with the finest visuals matched to the finest off-sim dynamic simulation. There's no doubt Carenado, Alabeo and Aeroplane Heaven (to name a few) make great looking models in sim-dom, but let's be honest, they can't flight model or system-simulate to save their lives. :roll: :wink:

Joint ventures or adding modules to other peoples aircraft would be a useful shop window for the complete home-grown packages, and as an optional second purchase would even enhance commercial lifespan (and more importantly, reduce the complaints) with basic or inferior systems modelling brought right up to spec for those who do want a complete simulation, not just a pretty looking one. In those situations it wouldn't even matter if the development period extended for several months after original model release, it would simply offer a second bite at the first impression cherry when the A2A addon landed.

I could see a whole host of good-looking but shabby-flying models being enhanced this way and widening the A2A customer base at the same time. :D

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Roadburner426 wrote:That whole negative torque thing is a huge deal on the C-130's. A few props separated from the shafts and/or disintegrated so now they have pretty defined limits on what they can do. Scary to think stuff like that can happen on aircraft. Although a year or so back we did have an incident in the Navy H-60 community where a tail rotor separated from the tail gear box of an aircraft in flight. That was down to maintenance error though and not over torqueing on the pilots part. Still scary stuff like that can happen when there are all kinds of procedures and safety devices in place to stop it.
Negative torque issues mainly do with turboprops with direct drive, or single spool in other words. The issue comes that if, on a high-speed descend for instance, we pulled back the power lever all the way to the flight idle, the propeller governing function essentially attempts to keep the prop and the engine speed at somewhere around 100...96 % or so, where it is usually set at. The issue here is that it would need to drive the compressor as well. While much of the energy going into gas compressed is extracted in the turbine even if we had a flame-out, this is not even nearly 100 % efficient. And the power required to turn a compressor is...well, astonishingly high: as a rough rule-of-thumb, it makes up some two-thirds roughly of the power extracted by the turbines (in case of 500 net shaft hp engine, some 1000 hp is roughly required to run the compressor).

The first issue would be maintaining control of the airplane, not so the engine. In TPE331 series this is temporarily dealt with NTS system (reducing the need to instantly feather if an engine went out for instance - it is not there to protect the engine!), that automatically moves the prop a bit towards feather by dumping the oil from the prop control system when triggered by the negative torque sensing feeling above the threshold. This "NTS'ing" can be felt as slight lateral jerks while the power is reduced. Any engine should be able to deal with a flameout condition without sustaining damage making the situation unrecoverable. In case of TPE331, the NTS system is in place to keep the blade angles from racing towards flat due to regular governing function in case the engine fails, or if the pilot reduces the power below what is needed to turn the prop.

Prop braking doesn't always equal to negative torque - this positive torque is actually the hazardous condition in case of PT6. The problem rises precisely from the fact the engine is producing significant amounts of "positive" torque whereas the prop is at negative angles. Any attempt to regularly govern the engine in that situation causes an immediate, and sustained, loop to overspeed the engine, as the blades naturally tend towards feather, and there exists an area of significantly lower engine load (the aerodynamically flat pitch range) in between, and there is no further governing system to back up the entering on this range from happening.

-Esa

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

AKar wrote:In regards of PT6 simulation, the eternal project by Marcel Felde (Aerosoft PC-6) looks promising.
Yeah, I've been following this one loosely and it's the "eternal" part that's been a bit discouraging. I know Marcel is a one-man operation with a day job as well, so perhaps this isn't surprising. Anyway, certainly one to check out if and when it does get released. :)
mallcott wrote:The best solution would be for A2A and a.n.other developer to get together with the finest visuals matched to the finest off-sim dynamic simulation.
I disagree. :wink: For me anyway, A2A's release interval is currently about perfect and I suspect that the team get some satisfaction in taking their own projects from conception all the way through to release. If it were a case of "Accu-Simming" someone else's model, I wonder if it would be hard for them to work up the same level of passion for (and commitment to) each project? Not to mention, they'd have to contend with another company's agenda, politics and business model.

I also suspect that it's not so simple to separate the aircraft modelling and visuals from the Accu-Sim coding which lies beneath, particularly given the 'core' nature of the Accu-Sim model. In other words, in terms of development and testing, A2A already have one of the most complex systems in the marketplace: content is being continually added to existing products and this must make for quite a headache when it comes to checking that everything still works as it should.

Still - it'll be interesting to see what direction future developments take, especially with the host sims diversifying all the more.

Just so long as we get that twin! :mrgreen:

Nick

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

It will be interesting. Plodding along the Kentucky/Indiana border at the moment in the Mustang Civ flying back home to Norfolk and surfing the forums. Have to wonder if v4 isn't going to throw the rhythm off. A usual technology jump is anywhere from 9 months to a year (which in the case of twins or jet we are talking a tech jump). With devoting resources to making the v3 birds v4 capable, and reworking the oldies one by one should be interesting to see how it impacts things. At this point I am pretty excited to switch sims, and I still have tons of adventures left to take the Comanche on so won't be disappointed either way. Although in the throttle quadrant thread Dudley has thrown the word "soon" around. He loves teasing us, but he usually is right. If nothing else Flight Sim Con should be interesting I have a feeling. Now back to watching my oil pressure gauge and flying. At over 350 hours now my oil pump has been yellow for some time, but the pressure itself is in the middle of the green which is what I would consider normal. No more shooting up over 100psi on start up. Have to wonder when the thing is going to finally buy the farm. Probably when I am IFR, less than 1,000ft off the ground, and still a ways out from the airport when I least expect it. :lol:
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

millsaviation
Airman Basic

Post by millsaviation »

We need a beech G35 vtail bonanza vintage plane. But i asked scott at EAA Airventure oshkosh what the next airplane will be and he said they are hoping to get the aerostar made soon.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

millsaviation wrote:We need a beech G35 vtail bonanza vintage plane. But i asked scott at EAA Airventure oshkosh what the next airplane will be and he said they are hoping to get the aerostar made soon.
That is great news/rumours!

I do, however, hope they will make a trainer twin first - like the Piper Seminole.
It would be just perfect in the A2A line up:
the two single trainers (172 and Cherokee), the two complex singles (182 and Comanche), and hopefully a trainer twin (Seminole?), and a complex twin (Aerostar).

Of course, the addition of the Comanche 400 would be hilariously fun too, with its enormous 720 8 cylinder engine.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Alfredson007
Technical Sergeant

Post by Alfredson007 »

A twin, seminole for example would be in order but i still wish that A2A's GA lineup is not all about "going more faster and more complex". I hope we will see something fixed pitch low powered accessible stuff too. I'd really love to see the C152 aerobatic someday for example.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Alfredson007 wrote:A twin, seminole for example would be in order but i still wish that A2A's GA lineup is not all about "going more faster and more complex". I hope we will see something fixed pitch low powered accessible stuff too. I'd really love to see the C152 aerobatic someday for example.
Yeah, a C-150 would be fantastic. Love those small planes!
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

Medtner wrote:
Alfredson007 wrote:A twin, seminole for example would be in order but i still wish that A2A's GA lineup is not all about "going more faster and more complex". I hope we will see something fixed pitch low powered accessible stuff too. I'd really love to see the C152 aerobatic someday for example.
Yeah, a C-150 would be fantastic. Love those small planes!
For all those learning in one (or having learned in one), that would be a thrill! And probably a valuable training opportunity as well.
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

I also support the 150 (if we have to have another single before we get a twin!) because the Cub is a great low-slow-explorer but is getting a little long in the tooth compared to the more recent GA A2A aircraft. Since the Supercub seems to be a no-go due to other developers targeting it so often, the 150 would present a good opportunity to return to a bare-essence aircraft. I'd enjoy a 140 (tailwheel, woo!) a lot, too, as I trained in one a bit.

-Ian C

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

At this stage, I'm quite happy with the "going faster and more complex" idea. Lets see where A2A take us, as their GA line up at the moment is quite small.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Fizzelle
Airman

Post by Fizzelle »

Mickel wrote:...well, almost always...
Aha! A (mis)quote from the G & S opera "HMS Pinafore", if I'm not mistaken.

As I have said elsewhere, it's gotta bee a Westland Lysander!

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I don't care what it is just sell it to us already
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

JayF11
Airman Basic

Post by JayF11 »

Cessna 340A. Carenado's is visually stunning but the flight model needs work.

joespeed52
Senior Airman

Post by joespeed52 »

joespeed52 wrote:I really hope to see a twin sometime in the future. Something small, that can get in and out of short fields, with some high performance mods, such as STOL kits and VGs among others. Perhaps even engines themselves being upgraded with turbochargers and or high performance pistons or something along those lines.
I feel the Aerostar with these upgrades would be a large step forward, and very well received for the increase in speed, comfort, and reliability.
Comanche, 172, 182, PA-28, Civ/Mil Mustang, T-6, COTS L049, P-40, Spitfire, V35, and Mighty B-17.
2000+ Hours FSX:SE

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”