Boeing 314 Clipper Captain of the Ship

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.

Boeing 314 Clipper Captain of the Ship?

Yes
53%
No
28%
Don't really care
19%

Total votes: 53

CaptainBryce
Airman Basic

Boeing 314 Clipper Captain of the Ship

Post by CaptainBryce »

Hey all. What do you think of A2A doing the Being 314 Clipper Captain of the Ship?

I think it would be great... 8)

trindade
Staff Sergeant

Re: Boeing 314 Clipper Captain of the Ship

Post by trindade »

I fully agree with you. Would be an awesome recreation of this beauty.

Aymi
Staff Sergeant

Post by Aymi »

Well I don't mind another COTS they are great but please A2A find a way to harmonize your products and put your COTS products up to date with your technology. You did an amazing simulation of radials with the T-6, yet Connie does not even have oil viscosity simulation :?
Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul

stiz
BDG

Post by stiz »

COTS or not, i'd love more rare (so not a cessna with floats :) ) amphibian 8)

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Ill take whatever they make. Remember COTS is not about being an aircraft owner and maintainer, its about being the captain. You show up to work, drive the airplane as best you can, keep the passengers happy, then go home. Someone else takes care of maintenance and oil and repairs. I guess youre thinking of mechanic of the ship. Lol
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

I think with a smaller plane you could have a combo of COTS and full Accusim. The 314 Clipper would be great, but something smaller like one of the Grumman 'waterfoul' Amphibs (Widgeon, Goose, Mallard, Albatross) might be a better choice for the first 'amphib' for something other than 'Cessna on floats'. Something Goose, Mallard, or Albatross size might be small enough so you could have COTS + the whole Accusim package. You could simulate being a charter operator.

I still think a humorous 'Tales Of the Golden Monkey' type COTS edition would be fabulous, with you and your ragtag 'crew', fly your old rustbucket hauling whatever to wherever. I think the COTS castmembers would have fun recording something that lol.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

CaptainBryce
Airman Basic

Post by CaptainBryce »

pilottj wrote:I think with a smaller plane you could have a combo of COTS and full Accusim. The 314 Clipper would be great, but something smaller like one of the Grumman 'waterfoul' Amphibs (Widgeon, Goose, Mallard, Albatross) might be a better choice for the first 'amphib' for something other than 'Cessna on floats'. Something Goose, Mallard, or Albatross size might be small enough so you could have COTS + the whole Accusim package. You could simulate being a charter operator.

I still think a humorous 'Tales Of the Golden Monkey' type COTS edition would be fabulous, with you and your ragtag 'crew', fly your old rustbucket hauling whatever to wherever. I think the COTS castmembers would have fun recording something that lol.

Cheers
TJ

Ha ha ha that is a great idea. Perhaps a Goose, then the 314, and then, maybe, a Catalina.... Jus throwing that out there...

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

I have it on good authority that A2A will develop a Boeing 314 as soon as they've released this:

guillaume78150
Staff Sergeant

Post by guillaume78150 »

Handley Page 70 Halton.(interesting picture BTW, with the DH98 in the background).
But as there is no more any airworthy example (like the 314), I would not hold my breath waiting for an A2A release... :wink:

CaptainBryce
Airman Basic

Post by CaptainBryce »

guillaume78150 wrote:Handley Page 70 Halton.(interesting picture BTW, with the DH98 in the background).
But as there is no more any airworthy example (like the 314), I would not hold my breath waiting for an A2A release... :wink:

True

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

CaptainBryce wrote:Hey all. What do you think of A2A doing the Being 314 Clipper Captain of the Ship?

Yep! I'm all about this idea!

Stearmandriver
Senior Airman

Post by Stearmandriver »

CaptainBryce wrote:Hey all. What do you think of A2A doing the Being 314 Clipper Captain of the Ship?

Man, I came here with the intent of posting this exact question!

The great flying boats are emblematic of probably one of the most romantic, adventurous, and glamorous eras of aviation. It really only lasted about 16 years but had an enormous influence on EVERYTHING that came after, especially regarding commercial air travel. And the B314 was the pinnacle of this era. I, personally, would absolutely love to see a 314 Clipper COTS.

I understand there are no remaining examples available to even look at, much less fly, for research purposes... but I personally disagree that this would be a reason not to tackle the project (easy for me to say ;-) ). Archival material from both Boeing and the Pan Am Historical folks would likely be enough to yield a very good representation. And look at it this way... no one could make a claim with any kind of authority that you'd gotten the flight dynamics wrong or something!

I think a project like this would go beyond just being a fun toy for flight simmers to play with. This plane is the crowning icon of an entire era that is quickly being forgotten. A virtual, flyable model produced to the A2A level of quality would actually help preserve this aircraft and this era; it would legitimately have historical significance.

I'd personally (and I realize I may be in a minority here lol) pay $100+ for an accusimed B314 COTS package. I'm sure I'd fly it regularly, but even if all I ever did was ONE re-creation of the original China Clipper route, I'd consider it money well spent. And I'd personally start working on (freeware) period scenery for Alameda, Pearl Harbor, Wake, Midway, Guam, and Manilla if this project were ever actually announced ;-).

Bill140A
Airman First Class

Post by Bill140A »

There is a great DVD available on Amazon titled: PAA China Clipper, Pan AM's Conquest of the Pacific. Some great footage and descriptions of the model 312 and 314 plus some others. I would love a A2A Modeled of these.
Bill140A

Levkovvvv
Staff Sergeant

Post by Levkovvvv »

Guys, it is a great plane, and it's historical significance can not be disputed, but I highly doubt A2A would do it, simply because it is slow and limits your landing options significantly, being a flying boat. Look at the 377 and the Connie, what do they have in common. Very technologically advanced, not super reliable, and very fast aircraft. People these days don't have too much time for flight sim, a2a customers like system interaction and failures, and like to cover greater distances, so that is a natural choice. I am not speaking for A2A, just speculating, but I would be highly surprised if the next COTS aircraft isn't somewhere along those lines: Technologically complex, slightly unreliable, and rather fast. Flying boats, and other 30s era aircraft just don't have the level of complexity or speed that would make a COTS package called for.
Image Владимир Левков / Vladimir Levkov
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

Stearmandriver
Senior Airman

Post by Stearmandriver »

Levkovvvv wrote:. People these days don't have too much time for flight sim, a2a customers like system interaction and failures, and like to cover greater distances, so that is a natural choice...
Umm... isn't one of the most successful A2A aircraft of all time a J-3 Cub? :D

Slow is relative. That's why the sim has time acceleration, after all...

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”