Next A2A Accusim project?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Daube
Staff Sergeant

Re: Next A2A Accusim project?

Post by Daube »

At the beginning, A2A mentioned they wanted to build a F-104 first, then the F-4 Phantom.
Then, when people started getting impatient, they introduced the T-33 as preliminary step to the F-104.
Since then, no words was heard about any jet development, and they keep finding new piston engine aircrafts to model to push the jets further in future.

From my side, my opinion is that the Phantom is just cancelled. It makes no sense for A2A to model such an aircraft, it would need too much work to model all of the instrumentation. And A2A never models any military system, so this Phantom wouldn't make much sense...
The F-104, although being much simpler than the Phantom, is probably just in the same case.

The T-33 might still have a chance to be modelled in future. Perhaps in 10 years or so, when A2A can't find any other idea for piston aicraft (although they'll carefully keep avoiding the DC-3 and the Beaver, of course), and provided they don't divert on turbo-props engines in the meanwhile, wjich might just push the Accusim jet engines 10 additional years back.

Granted, that's a good, long-term business plan :)

KotatehFox
Senior Airman

Post by KotatehFox »

t-33 wouldent be bad i suppose, would be the only jet i ever fly im sure lol! i still want a good ju-52..ive been waiting ages for one..freeware just doesent cut it for me
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

lol thats why you start with 'simple' so you can get the 'core' as perfect as possible. Start with the simplest twin possible, so they can focus on getting core twin dynamics just right....then move on to more complex stuff. It is highly important that the 'core' be done as right as possible. Start with the simplest jet....which is mechanically and coding-wise much 'simpler' than the turboprop. (nothing in flight sim is really 'simple', but it's relative). A turboprop is basically a turbojet with prop and related accessories added to it's core. Things added to the core means more stuff to 'get right' = lot more time spent coding, testing, and patching in the long run.

The most simple bush plane (and GA plane) in the Cub has already been done which will hopefully pave the way to whatever bush plane they may get to. The basic water and tundra tire handling physics have been done. It is a good thing they didn't try a Beaver or C-185 first, as the Cub let them focus on those core bushplane things. IMO the GA Line and T-6/Warbird fleet would not be as good, had A2A not gotten the most basic flying 'feel' experience from J-3 project. You can't really focus on pure flying with anything other than the Cub. When the core is done right, everything that follows is so much better. So yeah the T-33 is the perfect 'guinea pig' for the turbine which can then lead to a realistic turboprop engine. A2A has already gotten a little 'turbine' experience accusimming turbocharger/supercharger dynamics...ie some experience with coding air compression and air thermodynamics.

That's what makes accusim so amazing to fly, the core elements of flying are extremely refined, all the dynamic little intricacies of an airplane in flight, such that you can fly by listening to the sound of the wires in the airstream with the Cub for instance. No other developer looks at the art of 'flying' with the same kind of microscope nor looks at the 'deeper' intangible stuff of what flying should be as A2A(perhaps PMDG too) does IMHO. It's what makes their planes feel 'alive'. :wink:

Ultimately I don't think it really matters what kind of airplane A2A makes next, as long as it is done with the same level of passion and 'OCD' level of R&D that A2A has done with all their projects to date. JU-52, Beech 18, Ultralight, Beaver, A-26, T-33, whatever, no matter what A2A chooses, you know it will be awesome and will be something you've never quite experienced before.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

CXA316
Airman Basic

Post by CXA316 »

I am wondering will there be a float option for the C182, eventually .. in the near future :)

ryanbatc
Staff Sergeant

Post by ryanbatc »

I'm ready for a more modern GA... Aerostar, Baron, Bonanza A36 (with 6 pack and GTN), I guess any twin or sexy fast plane would be great!

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

I have no doubt the Aerostar will eventually be done. I just think it will be a much better product if they do a Seminole first, let accusim cut it's twin teeth in something 'simple' so they can really nail the twin engine flying experience. Then when it's time for the Aerostar, you can scare yourself all day with realistic Vmc rolls :D

One reason why I think many feel the Cherokee, and subsequent releases ended up being much smoother, more refined, less buggy products on release day than the 172. A2A learned alot from the 172 release and put that know how into the Cherokee and everything else. Trust me I want an Aerostar too, tho I wouldn't like to see it be A2A's 'Guinea pig' twin, rather it come when twin engine accusim is highly refined. :)
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I too would love to see an Accusim Aerostar, but I totally agree with Pilottj. You have to walk before you can run. I hope the next release is something like a Seminole (steam gauges, please) followed by something like a Baron 56, then an Aerostar. I'm guessing an Aerostar is about 3 years away??? I see the Baron as something of a progression between a basic twin with opposite rotation of the props to a smaller twin with props rotating the sane way, then something with the performance and weight of the Aerostar. Similarly, a T-33 or F-80 would be a great first start to a jet. I'd also love to see a Gloster Meteor done too, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Of course, we should not forget that we also haven't seen a turbo boosted engine in the GA line up, so perhaps a pressurised single is in the pipeline. Logically, a boosted single would come before a boosted twin as the engine handling techniques are different to a naturally aspirated engine, and having 2 such engines to handle could be too steep a learning curve.

Regarding any next COTS plane, I'm hoping it will be a Convair 240 or 340/440. Once A2A have done a turboprop, then perhaps that opens the way to doing a COTS Convair 580.

Alas there is one thing I can say that doesn't come under the heading of conjecture. It will be years or even decades before we all get the plane we each desire so much. It's like choosing your dream car or bike. There's such a big field to choose from.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

CrownCityMisfit
Senior Airman

Post by CrownCityMisfit »

Dogsbody55 wrote:I hope the next release is something like a Seminole (steam gauges, please) followed by something like a Baron 56, then an Aerostar.
This, exactly.
10900k | 3090 | Win10 | C4D | Adobe Suite | Cinema 4D | Unity
MSFS |The Skypark | Orbx | Milviz | PMDG | anxiously waiting for A2A
Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | CH Pro Pedals |Stream Deck XL

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

You know it's funny, I've noticed over at avsim, people tend to want their cake and eat it too. They seem to want a realistic high performance airplane that is also 'easy to fly'. Comanche aside, in the aviation world, the ideas of 'High Performance' airplane and 'Easy to fly' are usually contradictory.

All the more reason why the Comanche was the perfect high performance single for A2A. As everyone knows, the Piper designed the Comanche with low time pilots in mind....as opposed to Beechcraft, who designed the Bonanza with ex WWII pilots returning from the war in mind. Can you imagine the response if A2A did a V35 instead of the Comanche? :lol:

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

I still want just these two planes.
Accusimmed B25 Mitchell
Accusimmed Seversky AT-12 Guardsman

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

trucker17 wrote:I still want just these two planes.
Accusimmed B25 Mitchell

I'd sure like a repaint of Russell Johnson's B-25's
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Accusimmed B25 Mitchell
Hey Craig,
What ever became of that Grumman Goose you were helping to restore a while back? I hope you were able to see it fly. I was also hoping it could be a template for a possible A2A project. 8)

Cheers
TJ

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

pilottj wrote:
Accusimmed B25 Mitchell
Hey Craig,
What ever became of that Grumman Goose you were helping to restore a while back? I hope you were able to see it fly. I was also hoping it could be a template for a possible A2A project. 8)

Cheers
TJ
The old Goose, is on going. We reinstalled the rudder and elevators and stabs. and ran new cables to them.
The work has slowed down some on it, due to what happened, and the fact my spend most of my time flying supplies around Canada and Alaska.
I plan on putting the goose into service once the plane is restored.
I have chosen a color and scheme for it.
Its getting a Cutters Goose paint scheme, and the name on it, "Cutters Goose II".

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Im gonna say based off of past practices the seminole would come first and then the aerostar however i know they are looking at the t33 so a jet is also definitely in the works. The connie came way out of left field so another skunk works project is probably also in the works. The connie and t6 i believe were the first time they did 2 projects at the same time and it seemed to work so why not continue.
My money is on a twin next.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

trucker17 wrote:
pilottj wrote:
Accusimmed B25 Mitchell
Hey Craig,

Cheers
TJ
The old Goose, is on going. We reinstalled the rudder and elevators and stabs. and ran new cables to them.
The work has slowed down some on it, due to what happened, and the fact my spend most of my time flying supplies around Canada and Alaska.
I plan on putting the goose into service once the plane is restored.
I have chosen a color and scheme for it.
Its getting a Cutters Goose paint scheme, and the name on it, "Cutters Goose II".
Cutter's Goose II is a great name. I am very glad to hear that old bird is still getting restored. I wish you all the best restoring it and hope it can also provide you with some healing help as well. I find projects like that are good for healing the mind after a tragedy. I look forward to hearing about it's progress, and maybe we can convince Scott to take a ride in it when it's done. 8) I think an Accusimmed Goose would be out of this world.

Cheers,
TJ

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”