I am thinking about getting a new PC

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

I am thinking about getting a new PC

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

What do you think about the specs of this one (for FSX and the accusim aircraft) ?
It seems pretty beefy to me and at a good price.I like to build them myself (part of the fun) but this looks good.
It says that it has the new Core i7- 7770K processor and that looks great at the passmark CPU benchmark site.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerp ... Id=5365805
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

renaissanceman
Technical Sergeant

Re: I am thinking about getting a new PC

Post by renaissanceman »

Hi JJB,

I took a look at the page you linked and the specs look good at a reasonable price. Like you, I prefer to build my own PCs but it can be an advantage to buy from a local store in case of problems.

Jim
i7-6700K @ 4.0 GHz | ASUS Maximus VIII Formula | 32 GB DDR4 | EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI Classified |
Win 10 Pro 64 | FSX SE | Registered FSUIPC | All Accu-Sim Birds | Accu-Feel v2 | TrackIR5 | AS16 | PRO-ATC/X

Molly - A2A
A2A Major

Post by Molly - A2A »

That looks like an excellent PC that would be more than capable of handling anything you throw at it.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I dont even need to click the link to see the 7700 CPU and 1080GPU. Thats a beast of a system that'll fly no worries what so ever and also be great for VR too should you wanna go that route.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Thanks guys.My current systems are nearly 10 years old so I am quite out of date technology wise.
Yes Lewis I might be interested in getting that Oculus Rift VR headset if that works with FSX and accusim.
Anyone here doing that?

Also I probably will want a 4K monitor/HD TV. Any recommendations.

In addition I need a new Printer like a Laser printer.Any recommendations on that.

With my heart condition I will have to limit my sedentary activities though.As long as I can get my exercise in it's somewhat O.K.
Thanks for any help. -Jon

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey hey,

not sure on the printer but I'm a fan of the all in ones as Ive normally needed the unit for some light scanning and photocopying work.

For VR yes i use the vive and flyinside app for FSX integration great but I would recommend holding off atm as it costs a bit and I think a couple generations down the line the resolution will improve to allow a better experience.

thanks,
Lewis

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

So the HTC Vive is the one to go for.I will accept your recommendations and will wait for a while.
Thanks again everyone.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Vive or Rift is a total toss up to be honest but both I think for your average user worth a little wait. If however you have the cash to spare and want to jump on board now for a slice of the future then go for it. I'm loving mine and even my 4 year old loves it for some of the pong/tennis type games, the 3d drawing and google earth etc visiting places like a giant hehe

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Well today I went ahead and purchased that PC.It's the most expensive and beefiest PC that I have ever owned.However I missed out on the sale price but here is the monitor that I purchased with it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-profes ... Id=1097601

Only thing that PC was lacking was an optical drive and it had to be external so I got this one.It had to be able to read/write blu ray too and M-discs (archival long time storage).
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Nice! Look forward to hearing about your initial reports and reactions.

thanks,
Lewis

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

I am not getting that PC until about two weeks from now as it's just ordered.However I am getting the monitor tomorrow and the Blue Ray burner tomorrow too.

****Edit Oh wow I have found out that I am getting that PC in just a couple of days from now.So Cool and unexpected.****

One thing I saw interesting is how the Intel Core i7 2600K of the year 2011 had a passmark score of 8481 and the Intel Core i7 7770k had one of 12278 which is only a figure of around 45 % higher and these are both 4 core CPU's too.So CPU performance hasn't been increasing that much right over the years.In other words an old over 5 year old Core i7 2600K based PC would still be quite good.At this rate unless CPU's use something different and revolutionary over silicon a new high end PC from today could be good say 10 or even 15 years from now if it still was in operational condition that is.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup ... Hz&id=2874

My rule of thumb is to upgrade when the CPU has at least 3 times the performance so I was fortunate to be able to do this at this time.
Now my next step in the next month would be to get all the A2A Simulations accusim aircraft for this new PC as I now have a machine worthy of it.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

I got the PC today Feb 9 2017 at 2:51 PST and updated it.It's drop dead gorgeous.Ergonomically you can't accidentally shut it off as the power button is recessed on the top of the PC.I connected the 4K UHD Monitor with the Display Port cable as that was the fastest connection on my NVidia GTX 1080 card.
All the ugly wiring is hidden so the case is absolutely uncluttered.Like you said Lewis those SSD's are practically immediate with starting up Windows and super fast unlike the mechanical hard drives.The monitor is huge and looks great.One thing is that just by chance the top of the monitor is just around a centimeter from the bottom of the upper portion of my IKEA computer desk.

I haven't gamed on it yet though.I am pretty tired right now

Almost 18 years ago my PC in March 1999 only had 32 MB of RAM and a dinky Fujitsu 2 GB hard drive (small even by 1999's standards).
Now I have 1,000 times the RAM and 1,750 times the hard drive space.(Both SSD and Hard Drive). However I did upgrade that PC in 1999 with a 3Dfx Voodoo 3 2000 PCI graphics card which made it game pretty well :wink:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Awesome news, wish you luck on the dance of installing your sim and getting it all up and running 8) :mrgreen:

cheers,
Lewis

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Hello Lewis and any other experienced FSX user here.
I have a question.
I now want to install FSX Deluxe edition (with acceleration) on this PC.
I have another external optical drive hooked up.
Since this PC has a SSD capacity of 480 GB and a Hard Drive capacity of 3 GB
and multiple accusim add ons and scenery could take a lot of space, would it be OK to install FSX on the D: Letter drive (Hard Drive) rather than the SSD Letter C:
or would this slow down FSX too much?
It seems to me that if I have too many programs on the SSD that I could run out of space there and prefer using the much more spacious Mechanical Hard Drive.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Nice looking machine! I'm guessing that it comes with 64-bit Windows 10, but you might want to confirm that. I feel a big ripple in the Force ahead, and that is we're gonna go to 64-bit flight sims and add-ons. Eventually A2A will bite the 64-bit bullet and come along also. Also, I'd look very closely at the P3D vs. FSX issue. Try to find at least one person on this forum (or SOH, etc.) who wishes that they hadn't gone from FSX to P3D. You are entering the Jet Age! Fire all your guns at once and explode into space! (apologies to Steppenwolf).

OH yeah - I've got P3D v3, beaucoup ORBX scenery, and AS16 and ASCA, plus Office 2013 and a few other essential programs, all on my 1 Tb SSD, and, lessee here, I've still got 742 Gb left out of 931 useable. I'd say you can put everything on your SSD, and maybe keep mundane stuff like work-related documents, TurboTax files, etc., on the HDD.

Happy Landings!

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”