advice on a ccheap and quick upgrade on current pc

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
KotatehFox
Senior Airman

advice on a ccheap and quick upgrade on current pc

Post by KotatehFox »

im looking for a cheap upgrade, maybe a better processor, i know i might wanna get more ram..but im running on a dual core clocked at 2.80 and im looking for a quad core with a higher clock speed compatable with my motherboard, im honestly not sure where i should start, im currently in the middle of a build so all im looking to do is improve what i got while i got it cause the build is on hold for now, i also found a joystick at a garage sale for cheap! and its sadly an st290 as well, but it works..what luck! anyway heres my current specs.. http://valid.x86.fr/kpbq3w

to be honest im not the most tech savy person, ive had help with my new pc build lol..i am however trying to learn the best i can and all that
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Re: advice on a ccheap and quick upgrade on current pc

Post by bullfox »

Per your specs your motherboard has an AM3 socket. Any new processor has got to fit that socket. Since it's a old motherboard your choice for an upgrade is limited, but a used processor in good condition would be cheap. For FSX you really don't need four cores.

My motherboard has the same socket. I had a 4 core 3.2 GHz Athelon II. I found a used 4 core 3.6 GHz processor on eBay for less than $100.00. it dropped right in with no problem. I gave my son the 3.2 GHz processor and he swapped out the 2.8 GHz 4 core in his machine with no problem.

However, I should add that my son and I built his machine and my machine and several others. If you have not built a computer before I would recommend some reading up, doing research, and getting some help from someone who has experience with computers.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

KotatehFox
Senior Airman

Re: advice on a ccheap and quick upgrade on current pc

Post by KotatehFox »

well fsx isnt the only game i play..i do play others that would benifit from a little extra power, i have an idea on how to put them together, i just dont really know what to get...
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”