Dual Ultrawide or Triple 27"

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
sesc360
Airman Basic

Dual Ultrawide or Triple 27"

Post by sesc360 »

Hi all,
I would need your help with a P3D Setup. I saw a lot about 27" Triple Monitor setups and they look fantastic. But I read more and more about the Ultrawide 34" single / Maybe Dual Screen Setup. I am just not sure if it makes sense for flight sim. To me it seems you cannot reach the same level of immersion as with 3x 27" or am I wrong? For the price of 1 curved UWM, I can almost buy a triple 27" setup. What is your thought on this. Does it make sense?

Sebastian

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Dual Ultrawide or Triple 27"

Post by dvm »

This just my opinion of course but for me a large monitor with head tracking is just as immersive as multiple monitors with out the expense and complexity of multiple monitors. Even with multiple monitors you will still need head tracking or scrolling to see all of the virtual cockpit.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I think dvm hits the nail on the head to be honest it can be so much a personal thing, some like the nice clean large single screen others prefer the multi smaller screen setup, but either way unless your going more than 3 monitors you'll also face the same issues anyway.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

rictus
Senior Airman

Post by rictus »

Triple or single. I had dual for a bit but you can't avoid the middle bezel always being the centre of your eyepoint, which means the runway is always split either side on landing...

Tomesk
Senior Airman

Post by Tomesk »

I have three 27" Monitors running at 5760 x 1200. Until I upgraded my video card I was running into frame rate issues on occasion. To increase the frame rates I would run in windowed mode and shrink the width from the sides. I found that down to about a resolution of approx. 3840 x 1200 it really didn't matter that I lost some peripheral view. I am back running at 5760 x 1200 with a new video card, but I basically just fill the sides with the map and info windows.

I would say that if you can find a reasonably priced ultra-wide monitor with a good resolution, it alone will probably be enough.

I would also agree with rictus that two monitors will be annoying with the bezel right in the middle of your view.
ImageImage

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

In the Moody Blue Spitfire Sim, I went away from 3 x 18" screens to a single 42" widescreen. MUCH better even given that you lose some of the peripheral vision ...which frankly, isn't well simulated in FSX anyway...
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

spork
Staff Sergeant

Post by spork »

Instead of spending all that money on monitors, have you considered VR?
ImageImage
ImageImage

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

I wouldn't use vr as a main solution. I love mine and use it often for buzzing around in numerous sims but it can't replace my 4k large screen for mixed aircraft simming.
Seriously consider a big 4k TV.

Chris
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Tutmeister wrote:I wouldn't use vr as a main solution. I love mine and use it often for buzzing around in numerous sims but it can't replace my 4k large screen for mixed aircraft simming.
Seriously consider a big 4k TV.

Chris
Agreed, VR isnt ready just yet for the main daily driver but is something I believe everyone needs to try, using Occulus or Vive in sim and other games/entertainment. (Phone VR doesnt count is and it still annoys me its called VR instead of VR Lite or something) :twisted:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Samster
Airman First Class

Post by Samster »

Oh, I would go with the triple 27". Could also be cheaper in the long run. Here's my setup.... Image
Good luck,

Samster
The bad news is time flies. Good news is you're the pilot.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”