Captain Jake is now an IFR pilot!

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Scott - A2A
A2A General

Captain Jake is now an IFR pilot!

Post by Scott - A2A »

Congratulations to Jake today he passed his IFR test. The FAA examiner's comment at the end was "There's nothing I can critique about your flying." 8)

Jake started studying at SNHU (Southern New Hampshire University). It's a strong flight program but it was moving way too slowly. We took him out and moved him to private instruction and will be getting full college credit when he returns after he completes his CFI.

Last week he flew 5.4 hours in 300 ft ceiling IFR all over New England, in high winds. During this time SNHU was not flying because they don't train when minimums are that close. Jake was trained by the same instructor that trained me, Bob Yarmey, a 20,000 hour pilot who flew mail runs for many years. Jake's response was "I don't want to find myself flying in conditions alone for the first time, and would rather learn proper IFR technique with an experienced instructor." I'm not advocating anyone fly in overly challenging conditions, but Jake has his IFR faster than he would have if we went the traditional route, and I'm proud of his drive and passion to be the best and most importantly, safest pilot he can be.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Re: Captain Jake is now an IFR pilot!

Post by Medtner »

Congrats, Captain Jake!

IFR is very useful. In fact, it lets one fly more VFR, non-obvious as it sounds.

Great that he has some personal minimums! Get in the early habit of employing those minimums, as they aren't there for fun - they are there to be used.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

Congrats Jake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

guenseli
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by guenseli »

Congrats Jake and Scott!

Jake, take care of your old dad: there are not many around like this one! :wink:

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

I can't tell you how proud I am of Jake. Everything he has done with aviation since he started on this path has been a first rate job. It's hard to believe he has come so far. And Scott gets a lot of credit as well. Jake has had the benefit of having Scott as a dad who really knows his stuff. I'm proud to call both these gentlemen my friends; in fact much closer than friends; family !
Dudley Henriques

mattgn
A2A Mechanic

Post by mattgn »

My hat's off to you Jake. Well done mate.
Truly.
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese"
- G.K. Chesterton.

i7 2600K, 8GB Vengeance RAM, Asus P67, GTX 580.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:I'm proud to call both these gentlemen my friends; in fact much closer than friends; family !
Dudley Henriques
Right back at you Dudley. The world is a much better place with you in it. Not many people know that Dudley has been right with A2A (and my family) all they way. I go to him for help with everything from piloting help to tough business decisions to parenting advice. Dudley is a master of many trades, being a professional pilot is one of them. And he's an awesome musician to boot :)

A2A is stronger and better because of Dudley.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bill140A
Airman First Class

Post by Bill140A »

Congratulations! Great news.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Congratulations Jake!

Thought you might appreciate this link about some pretty serious IFR flying: https://disciplesofflight.com/zero-zero/.

Seeya
ATB

GlennC
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by GlennC »

Congratulations, Jake. As you know, the best is yet to come.

Glenn

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Way to go bud!
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

Woot! \o/

rhenson529
Senior Airman

Post by rhenson529 »

Congratulations, that’s quite an accomplishment. It’s been fun watching Jake grow over the years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A2A Planes: Cub, 172, 182, Cherokee, Comanche, Bonanza,T6, 377, Spitfire, and P51
Hardware: i7 (5.0 ghz) 32 GB 3000Ghz; RTX 2080ti; 1TB PCIe M.2; 1TB PCIe M.2

Fragmentum
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fragmentum »

I don't get by here on the forum like I used too, but so nice to see the announcement on Facebook.

Congratulations sir! You make a lot of folks proud seeing your progression in the aeronautics world. Consider some A&P formal education along the way? Might help your all around aircraft systems knowledge in a formal way as well.

Keep going and flying towards your goals and dreams!

Don
i5-2600K SB, 8GB Mushkin Redline, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, GTX 560 2GB, Saitek X52. Etch-A-Sketch hard wired to Speak-N-Spell backup system. Everything maxed and I see it ALL!

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

Congratulations! Well done
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”