Imagine a DC3 COTS

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
caribpilot
Staff Sergeant

Re: Imagine a DC3 COTS

Post by caribpilot »

Almost forgot, a DC3/C-47 with passenger and cargo configurations and an option for a more modern custom cockpit with some of the more modern avionics that you typically see in a DC-3 today.

As a completely different product or expansion, there is also the Turbine DC-3T. I think the staff at A2A can retire on these products! :lol:

Here is a nice video showing why this aircraft is so amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wexLhuDLZGw
M.Carter
Private Pilot

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

I think the DC-3 COTS idea would be awesome too. Perhaps an expansion on the COTS concept would be to have a choice in careers between Pax/Executive service and Cargo/Utility service.

There is something romantic and charming about that old dirty old cargo plane flying/smuggling hauls for hire to the jungle or desert or wherever, the pilot being some kind of a Han Solo or Jimmy Buffett type.

The Connie might be too classy of a girl for that kind of flying, but the DC-3 fits that job perfectly. Another great choice might be the Beech 18 as it is such a great 'Jack-of-all-Trades' plane. The Beech 18 would appeal to this type of bush/cargo flying, Pax/exec-COTS career flying, military transport & training, GA flying.

I'll be super excited for any Accusim project, including the DC-3 or DHC-2, but I think an Accusimed Beech 18 would turn my crank the most. I can't think of a more versatile plane that would cover so many bases. Hell if I had the money, I would find a nice restored Beech 18, fly it to Scott, then pay for all the research flight time lol.

The Grumman Goose would also be awesome in a similar vein, both with the Goose or the Beech 18 you could have really have some fun 'Tales of the Golden Monkey' type COTS careers.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Personally, I'm gonna quietly push for a CV-240/340/440 family again. There are a few still flying cargo around the US and if they really want to go big, there's always the mighty Convair 580, the King of Turboprop Airliners (the Britannia is the Queen) that's just a nacelle away. :) Plus, they already have 90% of the systems worked out between the B-377 and Connie because the Convairliners use a similar Air Cycle Machine to the B-377 and the R2800 is operated very similarly to the R3350 on the L-049 with similar electric prop control and a 2-speed supercharger.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

CAPFlyer wrote:Personally, I'm gonna quietly push for a CV-240/340/440 family again. There are a few still flying cargo around the US and if they really want to go big, there's always the mighty Convair 580, the King of Turboprop Airliners (the Britannia is the Queen) that's just a nacelle away. :) Plus, they already have 90% of the systems worked out between the B-377 and Connie because the Convairliners use a similar Air Cycle Machine to the B-377 and the R2800 is operated very similarly to the R3350 on the L-049 with similar electric prop control and a 2-speed supercharger.

Totally agree. Scott has ruled out a DC-3, and anyway, there's the wonderful M. Jahn C-47 in version 3 form that will only get better. But a Convair 240 or the bigger 340/440 family would be great and would suit those who prefer a shorter haul airline.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

ebo
Master Sergeant

Post by ebo »

Or how about the Junkers Ju52? 3 engines and made from corrugated iron.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk
Regards
Eberhard Haberkorn

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

ebo wrote:Or how about the Junkers Ju52? 3 engines and made from corrugated iron.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk
Now, there is a thought!
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mantock »

*Ahem 8)

Allow me to voice my dreams and wishes to the A2A team (once again) 8)

CHECK DAT ASSS

But yes A2A. A DC3 would be savage!!!
ImageImage

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Mantock wrote:*Ahem 8)

Allow me to voice my dreams and wishes to the A2A team (once again) 8)

CHECK DAT ASSS
I like both the DC3 and the JU52, but the Lancaster wins
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Daube
Staff Sergeant

Post by Daube »

n421nj wrote:Could you imagine how amazing a dc3 with accusim and captain of the ship would be????
Just my opinion, but if A2A ever makes a DC3, I really hope it won't be a COTS.
COTS means there won't be a maintenance hangar, which would be quite disappointing.
I would prefer a DC3 with Accusim and a real maintenance hangar, unlike the 377 and the Connie.
They can add COTS later if they want.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I have a question for someone out there. I have been flying the Manfred Jahn C-47 v3 and using the check list feature. I would like to assign a switch on my panel for the fuel pumps. I have tried assigning it in FSUIPC but no luck. I have assigned it in the Button & Switches tab "fuel pump" from the "select FS control list". Anyone have an idea. Using the mouse is a immersion breaker for me.

danb12
Staff Sergeant

Post by danb12 »

Hi DVM,

I had the same thing with the b-17 and found it under toggle fuel pump engine 1 etc... might be worth a look?

Dan

KotatehFox
Senior Airman

Post by KotatehFox »

ju-52....i am all for that, there isnt much out there for flight sims on those, an old freeware and thats about all there is..a2a needs a german aircraft then maybe a japanese aircraft, if they did japanese i honestly would love to see the a6m zero or something a bit larger..those two countries really need some love i think (japan and germany) there are some incredible aircraft made by both that never really get any attention, the ju-52 being one of them..
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

bmbrzmn101
Staff Sergeant

Post by bmbrzmn101 »

Maybe even a DH-7 Caribou, cargo/passenger format for remote strips or big airports. STOL capable radial engine aircraft. Just another pot stirrer here.

Chris
The voices in your head will quieten down when you begin listening to them!

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

danb12 wrote:Hi DVM,

I had the same thing with the b-17 and found it under toggle fuel pump engine 1 etc... might be worth a look?

Dan
Thanks Dan,

But no luck.

Vince

caribpilot
Staff Sergeant

Post by caribpilot »

CAPFlyer wrote:Personally, I'm gonna quietly push for a CV-240/340/440 family again. There are a few still flying cargo around the US and if they really want to go big, there's always the mighty Convair 580, the King of Turboprop Airliners (the Britannia is the Queen) that's just a nacelle away. :) Plus, they already have 90% of the systems worked out between the B-377 and Connie because the Convairliners use a similar Air Cycle Machine to the B-377 and the R2800 is operated very similarly to the R3350 on the L-049 with similar electric prop control and a 2-speed supercharger.
I think you may be right. The Convair family would be an excellent choice for A2A. DC-6 is already covered and the same developer may also consider a DC-3 for obvious reasons. The Convair was very popular and well respected for their safety.
M.Carter
Private Pilot

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”