Why is A2A still Using fsx

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: Why is A2A still Using fsx

Post by CodyValkyrie »

JJJ wrote: Yes, that is it! That is the reason why to make it!
There’s a reason so few high end developers have gone full tilt in developing for XPlane, and that’s because the cost of development versus return is so poor. Frankly I’m tired of the his debate, especially since the numbers don’t lie. Companies aren’t in this business to make the least amount of money, and some of you seem to think that development it easy. FSX and it’s derivatives are where the money is at, not to mention the other issues already previously stated.

I get you guys like XPlane, but its always been more of a hobbiest simulator, and it’s never attracted the kinds of sales to make it a serious contender, and likely won’t for the foreseeable future. Can we put an end to this now?
ImageImage
ImageImage

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

CodyValkyrie wrote:
JJJ wrote: Yes, that is it! That is the reason why to make it!
There’s a reason so few high end developers have gone full tilt in developing for XPlane, and that’s because the cost of development versus return is so poor. Frankly I’m tired of the his debate, especially since the numbers don’t lie. Companies aren’t in this business to make the least amount of money, and some of you seem to think that development it easy. FSX and it’s derivatives are where the money is at, not to mention the other issues already previously stated.

I get you guys like XPlane, but its always been more of a hobbiest simulator, and it’s never attracted the kinds of sales to make it a serious contender, and likely won’t for the foreseeable future. Can we put an end to this now?
Amen to that !

Winepress
Airman Basic

Post by Winepress »

Speaking of "FSX and its derivatives", will there be someday Accu-Sim planes for FSW? Modestly asking.

Best,
Christian

_ME2_
Airman First Class

Post by _ME2_ »

While i perfectly understand the issues stated by CAPFlyer. From a purely econimical point of view, risk diversion is something that A2A needs to consider.
With FSX fading away as it simply is old and no longer being developed and P3D with the ongoing debate about licences and the non existent permission to have fun with it, A2A is tied to two platforms with an uncertain future.
Diversion with products in other sims like FSW, Aerofly or XP would simply minimize the risk of A2A going down with one of their target platforms.
I know that A2A also must be thinking about this as they are smart business men and I can't wait to see what they will be doing about it :)

Cheers, Mike
Cherockee 180 / Comanche 250 / Constellation L049

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

A2A have plenty of risk diversion going on. As I stated, they are heavily in demand on the professional side of P3D with companies like Redbird Simulations and at least one company featured on Facebook and here that has done a museum display using the A2A Spitfire and a replica cockpit.

Also, they have already licensed AccuFeel for FSW, so while not officially announced, I think we can be fairly certain they are in active development for FSW. The delay there has probably been more with the fact that 1) FSW wasn't released, and 2) there was no publically available SDK until the end of December. As such, there were/are probably NDA's and/or agreements in place between DTG and A2A (as there are certainly for other devs as well) on when they will announce development for that platform.

_ME2_
Airman First Class

Post by _ME2_ »

Correct, as always :)
those professional projects are not something the usual desktop simmer benefits from. but that's not A2A's problem.
All in all i would just like to see an A2A bird in a sim with a modern engine.

cheers, mike

cheers, mike
Cherockee 180 / Comanche 250 / Constellation L049

VH-MAL
Senior Airman

Post by VH-MAL »

As a long time FSX user and a more recent XP user, I see good points for both sims.

One interesting development recently has been the entry of Just Flight with their GA Pipers into X plane 11, and part of their promo for their XP versions has been a list of what is possible to model in XP versus other sims - it seems XP has more to offer (in some areas).

I personally don't understand the hostility between rival 'factions', IMHO there is room for both, and both have many wonderful things to offer.

Let's just enjoy the virtual skies however we choose!

Malcolm
Last edited by VH-MAL on 16 Feb 2018, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

JJJ
Airman

Post by JJJ »

VH-MAL wrote:As a long time FSX user and a more recent XP user, I see good points for both sims.
I personally don't understand the hostility between rival 'factions', IMHO there is room for both, and both have many wonderful things to offer.
Malcolm
+1

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

How about the fact that FSX:SE has 2500 users flying online as I write this, and Xplane 11 has 500?

Tutmeister
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tutmeister »

seaniam81 wrote:How about the fact that FSX:SE has 2500 users flying online as I write this, and Xplane 11 has 500?
I understand the development costs and technical reasons why a2a are not moving to xplane so I'm not trying to push an xplane move here. However, the numbers you have here are completely meaningless.
I'm assuming you got them from steam?
You might as well say don't bother making for p3d as zero people are flying online in that.

The majority of xplane users do not buy through steam, they buy the stand alone client directly from laminar as Your here are many advantages and benefits to doing this. need to think of xplane like you do p3d, it cannot be measured through steam spy. There are many many more xplane users than those figures suggest.
I'd love a2a in xplane but equally I'm hoping for further p3d support of the WarBirds and accufeel plus full fsw support.

Chris
Owner of Fulcrum Simulator Controls
Spitfire Obsessive, GA Enthusiast.
https://www.fulcrumsim.com
https://www.facebook.com/fulcrumsimulatorcontrols

VH-MAL
Senior Airman

Post by VH-MAL »

Well said Chris.

I have always regarded the A2A forums as having the most courteous, friendly, helpful and informative members, and it is usually a pleasure to participate within them.

I reiterate what I said earlier - Let's just enjoy the virtual skies however we choose!

Malcolm

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

I want to see that Simcoders Realism module thing that they built for the Carenado planes brought to FSX and P3D. It seems to me on X-Plane that is the closest to A2A you are going to get. I would love to get their module ported over to P3D as it looks to be pretty equivalent to Accu-sim, but I doubt that will ever happen as they are firmly planted in X-Plane.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

VH-MAL
Senior Airman

Post by VH-MAL »

Roadburner426 wrote:I want to see that Simcoders Realism module thing that they built for the Carenado planes brought to FSX and P3D. It seems to me on X-Plane that is the closest to A2A you are going to get. I would love to get their module ported over to P3D as it looks to be pretty equivalent to Accu-sim, but I doubt that will ever happen as they are firmly planted in X-Plane.
I have the Simcoders realism module - REP - for the default C172 in XP11 and it is, as you say, the closest thing to the A2A platform. IMHO it is probably not as 'polished', but it does model most things quite accurately, and is a good equivalent.
They have also put out, in collaboration with another company, REP for a Super Cub, which is also quite realistic.

Like you, I would love to see them in FSX.

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Just reading up on this thread I'd missed it. (I love A2A products, and enjoy XP, in fact use XP more than any other sim at the moment I think; anyway...).
Tigh wrote:....
I help run a fairly large big tin VA: last month we logged more than half our flights in P3D (and the vast majority of those in v4) and, while we've supported X-Plane for a couple of years now, only 5.7% in XP. I get the impression the XP community are a passionate, vocal minority but just that, a minority and a small one at that. ....
I've tried to plan commercial flights with a VA using xplane. At the time I tried it, there just weren't enough interesting-level aircraft available for it and those that were available (e.g. IXEG's 737-300 and PMDG's DC6) aren't used in flights nowadays so most VAs don't fly them unless they let you fly anything. So, you end up flying default or freeware aircraft and that's not always as interesting. I think that may affect the numbers as well as the number of users of the platform as a whole.

Regarding SimCoders, I really like their products. They do give a bit more aliveness to GA aircraft in a similar manner to A2A. But I don't see why they'd come to P3D or FSX. They'd be competing with Accu-sim and much as I like their products, they wouldn't win that battle imho.

eek: Can't believe I wrote that last sentence. Let me rephrase it as, "A2A for FSX and Prepar3d, Simcoders for xplane."
Last edited by tbaac on 27 Apr 2018, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

youngjohn
Airman

Post by youngjohn »

CAPFlyer wrote: Also, they have already licensed AccuFeel for FSW, so while not officially announced, I think we can be fairly certain they are in active development for FSW.
That was probably true when you wrote that CAPFlyer, but that's all changed now, eh?

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”