Why is A2A still Using fsx

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Why is A2A still Using fsx

Post by Rarebear »

Hello people.

I had a rather unpleasant communication exchange with a person today who claimed to have worked with Xplane 5 years ago before he retired and obviously an fsx hater and even went as far to say that A2A was garbage within garbage. Ok so I chuckled at the last part but it did get me thinking.

According to this guy Redbird uses Fsx scenery but has designed its own engine or something of that sort to produce their simulator and he says there is a way to use Xplane with FSX scenery anyhoot I was wondering how come A2A has not gone over to Xplane and why does A2A continue to use fsx?.

Anyways wherever A2A goes Ill go.

Jdw

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Why is A2A still Using fsx

Post by DHenriques_ »

Rarebear wrote:Hello people.

I had a rather unpleasant communication exchange with a person today who claimed to have worked with Xplane 5 years ago before he retired and obviously an fsx hater and even went as far to say that A2A was garbage within garbage. Ok so I chuckled at the last part but it did get me thinking.

According to this guy Redbird uses Fsx scenery but has designed its own engine or something of that sort to produce their simulator and he says there is a way to use Xplane with FSX scenery anyhoot I was wondering how come A2A has not gone over to Xplane and why does A2A continue to use fsx?.

Anyways wherever A2A goes Ill go.

Jdw
Scott absolutely hates saying anything disparaging about other developers but I'll go so far as to say that the reason A2A uses FSX is because the program fits nicely into what we are doing and is projected to be stable for us for a long time to come.
As for X-Plane, they do their thing and we do ours.
I wouldn't give whoever it was who said A2A was garbage the satisfaction of an answer really other to say he is sadly misinformed. :-))
Dudley Henriques

Ian Warren
Senior Master Sergeant
Location: EX- Christchurch now called "Wobblyville" New Zealand

Post by Ian Warren »

I'll Cheer Dudley's answer, FSX Still has a lot of good years in even now, One thing I said to myself and on other forum specific NZFF many years back, people make such gorgeous aircraft, here in New Zealand with that in mind, my task was to make scenery to compliment those aircraft, one big area and field I fell into is photo real scenery, I have not modeled for FSX yet ... my time is tied up with Autogen , with X-plane it appears this sort of thing dose not fit in very well or can be used from what I have seen so far .. FSX has still got a huge build and following, if any thing the move would more likely be P3D.

KotatehFox
Senior Airman

Post by KotatehFox »

you should ask the guy if he has ever flown an a2a aircraft, if not get him in the most complex one you can think of haha!
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

A2A is using FSX because I'm using FSX.

Or is it the other way around...? :wink:
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Destroy
Airman First Class

Post by Destroy »

Simple answer I think is that FSX by far has the largest user installed base.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

X plane has the smallest user base of any flight sim and after trying it many times over the years, I know why. Every time I have tried using it or used it on a friends PC, I have been very disappointed with the entire experience, except for the night lighting which is good. Just good night lighting is not anything that would make me give up P3D or even FSX which I used in the past. Too many shortcomings in X plane.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Post by Rarebear »

Thank you guys for your Replies.

I know I am using Fsx because A2A uses it ha! And I understand Didley Henriques about not trashing other developers, this guy was pretty aggressive but still I would like to know some of the shortcomings you guys have experienced with xplane vs fsx or p3d.
I know for me xplane is not user friendly and of course this guy kept saying it has the best predictive behavior for any aircraft saying they could add maths in order to add the turbulence to the fuselage during a spin blah blah blah but it too a bunch of processors and a bunch of memory and Im thinking ok maybe the potential for engineering huge but my desktop doesnt have 328gb and 5 prpcessors for the moddeing of one spin. He was rather upset because I had said that in my experience I didnt feel like xplane aircraft act accordingly like in real life.

So my negative experiences in xplane are graphics. Not user friendly. Airplanes have a funky behavior.

JdW

Rarebear
Staff Sergeant

Post by Rarebear »

I wouldn't give whoever it was who said A2A was garbage the satisfaction of an answer really other to say he is sadly misinformed. :-))
Dudley Henriques
I absolutely agree with you Dudley.

ilya1502
Staff Sergeant

Post by ilya1502 »

Exactly! The aircraft behavior, in spite of all the stuff that xplane fans usually say, is absolutely unrealistic and inadequate to the real flying experience. I cannot understand how a person flying for real could think otherwise.

bobsk8
Technical Sergeant

Post by bobsk8 »

ilya1502 wrote:Exactly! The aircraft behavior, in spite of all the stuff that xplane fans usually say, is absolutely unrealistic and inadequate to the real flying experience. I cannot understand how a person flying for real could think otherwise.
That was my pression when flying X plane too, totally unrealistic aircraft behavior.
MSFS 2020
ATC by PF3

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

With good scenery and good aircraft fsx can give you moments of breathtaking beauty. Might be true of other sims but I know its true with fsx.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I've never been one to be overly PC, and my response would simply be that he doesn't know what the *+% he's talking about. He's a fanboy defending his product, just the same as many do here, and in other places, especially if he has any personal investment in it.

As for why A2A continues to develop for the FSX platform, and it's derivatives, there's a very simple answer; they know it. Why changes horses? I can't imagine the market for X-Plane is any bigger, yet the cost to jump over might outweigh the benefit. So why change?

Lastly, the nonsense about what simulators that professional companies use comes down to many factors. That being said, if FSX wasn't a viable platform, ESP and Lockheed's investment (among others) simply wouldn't exist. X-Plane users love to advocate that their software is used in professional simulation environments... Cool, because they aren't, and never have been, the only consumer simulator used in commercial applications.

I'd take what he says with a grain of salt.

(Once again I'd like to reiterate I do not speak on behalf of A2A, or their opinion.)
ImageImage
ImageImage

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Garbage in garbage is too funny. I truly appreciate what A2A provides the simulation community and the fact that they support both FSX and the P3D environment is a bonus in my opinion.

There are die hard fans of all platforms though, and yes some get very tribal and protective. Every platform is different and have learning curves. FSX and P3D are fairly user friendly and XPlane can be once you get through the "curve". After trying to do some development for XPlane, there are many challenges not present in FSX/P3D. Differences between the data driven FDE and geometry driven FDE in XPlane result in very different experiences. Factor in a dedicated following from X-Plane whatever to present, and sometimes the support communities get rather forgetful of the difficulties of the Xplane system.

Each platform is great in what it caters to. That said, my investments are in FSX/P3D and A2A has captured quite a sum of that.

Soapbox switch now off 8)

Dominique
Technical Sergeant

Post by Dominique »

The reality is that X-Plane has never convinced the mainstream simmer community, for 15 years now, that it was better than the FS family of sims. When we were a little tired of MSFS, some of us tried it and went instead to Flight Unlimited or Fly! rather than XP. Trying XP is always disappointing.

Is it directed to a more professional audience that a gamey FS ? One answer : a leading aeronautic contractor, Lockheed Martin, chose ESP/FSX and supposedly do most of its sales with pro users...

This failure to convince has generated in the X-Plane user community a sectarian approach, like a church (FS is garbage if not evil...), that I personally find sometimes disturbing.

FSX is a worn out engine and needs a complete rehab, nobody says the contrary. External engines like Accusim is one path, what LM does is another complementary one.
Dominique
i7-4770 /Nvidia 1080 and MSFS
Proud ownerin FS9 of the P-47 and P-51, in FSX/P3D of the Piper Cub, Cherokee, Comanche, P-40, P-51 civ., Texan, Boeing Stratocruiser, Cessna Skylane and in MSFS of the Comanche

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”