How about a Howard 500

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: How about a Howard 500

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Its funny to see this come up after talking to Scott about the aircraft and watching her go from cold and dark to start up, taxi and take off as she and the family she was carrying flew home from Oshkosh. Was glorious to see and nice to watch from the comfort of a good camp chair on the flight line next to where she was parked up 8)

But sorry chaps, nothing planned or talked about for the sim wise at the moment.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

BigRedBen
Airman Basic

Post by BigRedBen »

No problem. It's just cool to know that that you devs are aware of the aircraft and know how much people would want one. :wink:

HawkDsl
Airman Basic

Post by HawkDsl »

I just brought this up over at SOH. Mr. Shupe is willing to offer all his data on the plane (from the owners and pilots no less) if anyone wanted to do it. Its a crying shame this plane is stuck in 2004 freeware vintage. I was kinda hoping Manfreds team was willing to do it.

I've seen the real one three times at Osh. Your fist time seeing it up close will blow you away. It is so mush larger then it looks in pics. 300 knots+ ... it's sorta like a KA350 on steroids.

N177L, the 250 Howard... I think it may be the most beautiful plane in the world right now. You can have a look at her at ; https://youtu.be/Rj1HgHQriw8

Jetranger7
Senior Airman

Post by Jetranger7 »

Here ya'll go, many of my Vintage HOWARD 500's I have in my FSX Simulator

SEE the YOU TUBE VIDEO

LINK : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGY7QLrs5zQ

Last edited by Jetranger7 on 25 Mar 2017, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

A classic twin with round engines would be my choice. I have had installed at one time or another most of the A2A birds and they are the best. I still find myself flying a classic a twin more often such as the new Manfred Jahn C-47. Before it was released I flew the MAAM B-25 or the Beech 18. I find myself in the new C-47 most of the time as it sounds and flies great and has many interesting features such as the interactive check lists.. Don't care much about a modern twin with flat engines. I also don't care about using the sim for training as a lot of the younger simulator pilots do. The majority of the real world pilots who are also interested in flight simulation couldn't afford to own and operate a twin anyhow. Not many of us have the resources of the Harrison Fords. Flying a variety of classic airplanes that are out of my reach in the real world is one of the reasons I mess with the hobby. I'll bet I am not the only one who feels this way.

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Hi DVM,

You are definitely NOT the only one who feels this way.
I agree 100%, it is the same way for me.
While I certainly enjoy the GA planes from A2A, my main interest is in classic airplanes, and especially antique airplanes.

I would be absolutely thrilled to see A2A release some golden age GA, utility, or propliner aircraft. Imagine an accusim Ford Trimotor as another example :)

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

Jetranger7
Senior Airman

Post by Jetranger7 »

Aonyn : You should check out the CR-1 Software of the FORD TRI-MOTOR if you really like the Ford Tri-Motor ,,,,,

LINK : http://cr1-software.com/addons/ford-trimotor/

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

aonyn wrote:Hi DVM,

You are definitely NOT the only one who feels this way.
I agree 100%, it is the same way for me.
While I certainly enjoy the GA planes from A2A, my main interest is in classic airplanes, and especially antique airplanes.

I would be absolutely thrilled to see A2A release some golden age GA, utility, or propliner aircraft. Imagine an accusim Ford Trimotor as another example :)

Regards,
Dave
These would be my first choice. Quite a few of them flying so getting actual flying info on them would be possible.

ImageImage

aonyn
Staff Sergeant

Post by aonyn »

Hi dvm,

That last one, is that a Beech 18? I think it is.
That would certainly be a very good candidate for accusim :)
Jetranger7 wrote: Aonyn : You should check out the CR-1 Software of the FORD TRI-MOTOR if you really like the Ford Tri-Motor ,,,,,
@Jetranger7 - I checked that out, and the model does indeed look very nice. Also, the price is certainly no obstacle.
How is she as far as flight model, and systems modeling? Do you have to treat her with respect?
For the price, I think I will try it anyway, it certainly a beautiful model.

Unfortunately A2A have spoiled me though, if she is only a pretty face without substance, she will become a hangar queen.
If she has reasonable depth, such as the aerosoft pby catalina, I may indeed enjoy her though.

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Regards,
Dave
Ron Attwood wrote:David, you'd be useless on Twitter. Too reasonable by half. :D

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

aonyn wrote:Hi dvm,

That last one, is that a Beech 18? I think it is.
That would certainly be a very good candidate for accusim :)
Jetranger7 wrote: Aonyn : You should check out the CR-1 Software of the FORD TRI-MOTOR if you really like the Ford Tri-Motor ,,,,,
@Jetranger7 - I checked that out, and the model does indeed look very nice. Also, the price is certainly no obstacle.
How is she as far as flight model, and systems modeling? Do you have to treat her with respect?
For the price, I think I will try it anyway, it certainly a beautiful model.

Unfortunately A2A have spoiled me though, if she is only a pretty face without substance, she will become a hangar queen.
If she has reasonable depth, such as the aerosoft pby catalina, I may indeed enjoy her though.

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Regards,
Dave
I have this airplane (CR1 Tri-Motor) and it is a pretty face. Not too exciting to fly but looks good. If you get it cheap might be worth while to play with. Just my opinion of course.

Jetranger7
Senior Airman

Post by Jetranger7 »

ANOYN : You'll just have to try it out and see how it suits you, everybody is different and the sim can only do so much anyway,,,,

I have that TRI-MOTOR I like it for what I do with it,,,, it suits my tastes, but different strokes fer different folks, some may not like it others might,,,

kinda like that blonde I had over at my house the other nite :)

Jetranger7
Senior Airman

Post by Jetranger7 »

TO DVM : Have you tried Ol' Roy Chaffin's B-25 Mitchell ????

do you know about it ????

Ol' Roy had to quit makin simulator aircraft as he suffers from I think Parkinsons,,,, so he can't do it anymore,,,

But his B-25 Freeware is highly detailed , might try it see if you like it

tho its a few years old its FREEWARE,,,,,

LINK : http://www.roychaffin.com/rcs-panels.html

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Yes I have this airplane and it looks better than the MAAM B25 but I like the way the MAAM flies better. I have always wished the MAAM could be updated in the graphics dept as otherwise the flight dynamics are very good and it sounds great too. I actually have changed the Chaffin to fly more like the MAAM with mixed results.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Thanks Jetranger7 for reminding me of the Chaffin's B25. I started messing with it again and did a little more tweaking and have it flying to my liking. If you have this airplane and the MAAM B-25 you might like trying aliasing the MAAM sound.

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Well if this video doesn't get you liquored up for a Howard 500, I don't know what will. :mrgreen:
Tony Phillipp's N500LN doing a tribute flight for the late Dr. Bird.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCoJQcFXXzY[/youtube]

another favorite is Peter Hambling's On Mark A-26 'Sexy Sue'
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wpHSa4O0ck[/youtube]

Yes, I think an accusimmed Howard or On Mark would simply be pure flight sim bliss. Those planes sums up it up what makes a great airplane...attitude. Fast, Powerful, Purposeful, Unique. I believe the H500 is technically the first purpose built executive aircraft ever made. Both Dee Howard and the On Mark engineers did brilliant things with these airplanes.

But alas, I understand, and agree with A2A's position on such a plane. A very high performance radial twin is a ways off yet. Let accusim grow it's twin legs the right way through small steps. Start with the twin trainer...get basic twin flight dynamics down pat. Then build on those lessons for the Aerostar or whatever, then go for the small twin radial, while eventually progressing to a beast like the H500 or A-26. It is very important to A2A to get the core twin flight dynamics just right, and the best way to do that is to start with something simple. After they get the basics down just right, then any project that follows will be that much better.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”