Favorite A2A survey

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Moggster
Senior Airman

Re: Favorite A2A survey

Post by Moggster »

crazac wrote:I love this thread :D :twisted:
Me too and do you know what I love about this thread?

There's no definitive answer, great stuff!

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Moggster wrote:

Yea totally. It's personal, and the great thing is, you don't have to pick just one 8)

Really awesome to see the feedback.

zazaboeing
Senior Airman

Post by zazaboeing »

crazac wrote:
zazaboeing wrote:Comanche!

PS: Why not create a poll from this?
Great idea!!
I don't know how... Anyone?
Hi Crazac, I don't know if editing the original post can create this poll, which is done on the first post. Anyone, I will create it myself with a new post if you allow me to.

Moggster
Senior Airman

Post by Moggster »

crazac wrote:
Moggster wrote:

Yea totally. It's personal, and the great thing is, you don't have to pick just one 8)

Really awesome to see the feedback.
Also, it speaks volumes about the quality of the a2a range of aircraft.

crazac
Technical Sergeant

Post by crazac »

Exactly! Can't go wrong :wink:

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

They are all perfect for some job. At least the 4 I have so far. No point in going 10 miles in the Mustang.. and flying 200 in the Cherokee is just painful. It would be an interesting project to write a formula where you enter distance, terrain, airport and nav data plus weather and the result picks an A2a plane for you. It might actually be a good sales tool too lol. Fill out a form and it tells you what plane to buy..... Today.. Tomorrow you will be filling out the form differently...

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

I think the best way to enjoy A2A aircraft, at least in deciding what to fly, is don't look at it as distance travelled for your a measuring stick, but look at time factor instead. That way an hour is an hour, regardless if it is the Cub or Mustang. Just plan on flying a distance relative to that time for a particular plane.

Another thing too, A-B flying is only one small aspect of GA flying, albiet a fun one. There are lots of different things to do with these planes :) Each airplane is like a different tool for a different kind of job. IE the Cub is like a small trowel, and the Mustang a big shovel, you choose the right tool for the specific digging job...whether it is planting small flowers or digging a trench. However this being a simulator, and you won't go to FS jail, or die, or anything bad happen to you...Put the Mustang in Cub territory for fun. Likewise, you could spend a week or two in the Cub flying long distance by following roads and rivers. It's all good!

Back to the topic. After all these releases, my favorites are still the P-40 for Warbird, and Cherokee for GA (Both these planes have certain charm and other intangibles that are very welcoming)....with the Civil Mustang favorite all around plane.

That Cherokee tho, who knew such a mundane little plane could be so fun. The other day I flew IMC approach in the Cherokee, by hand, it was awesome....full minimums ILS approach...200' ceiling and 1/2 vis... man it was fun! No AP, No GPS...just pure VOR navigation to the approach, then then shoot the IAP, then ALL the way down the pipe...then you just start to make out the approach lighting...that's what FS is all about....FUN!..with some challenge thrown in for good measure.

I know the once 'considered' expansion project Cherokee 235 is long dead, much like the 'planned' Spit V, and we instead have the wonderful 182 and Comanche, which are both superior to the 235 in most respects, stillllllll, part of me still hopes Scott brings back the 235 into the fold. Nothing will outhaul a Cherokee 235 for it's class. A Dakota would be awesome too...IMHO the Dakota was Piper's finest of the 4 seat single Cherokee offshoots. I think if 'New Piper' brought back the Dakota, they would have a legitimate rival to Cessna's popular 182T.

Anyway, Long Live the Cherokee! :D

Cheers
TJ
Last edited by pilottj on 15 Mar 2017, 00:24, edited 3 times in total.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

"Put the Mustang in Cub territory for fun."

You are preaching to the choir here! I was trying to be sensible for once. I'm editing a video now of my trip tonight, taking the T6 into grass strips in crosswinds. As you say, the other way round it is mucho funno being diverted around 10 jets in the Cherokee in zero visibility waiting for that glidescope to kick in just imagining what the big iron virtual pilots are saying about you during your 10 minute final approach :D

Landing lights appearing thru fog after an hour of GREY nothing is a joy in any plane.

Vive la difference!

lcoleman
Airman

Post by lcoleman »

Without a doubt my all time favorite is the B-17. It was my first A2A aircraft and is still the one I enjoy the most!

Larry

CrownCityMisfit
Senior Airman

Post by CrownCityMisfit »

I own everything in the A2A library except the Strato, Connie and Texan. I will soon acquire the Texan. I just don't have the time or mental bandwidth to dig in to COTS. It looks absolutely amazing, just not for me I suppose.

That said, this question is easy for me...

Cherokee, for sure

I've tried to love the Comanche, but I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet. Hopefully I will get better at approach and landing now that I am using a yoke instead of a joystick.
10900k | 3090 | Win10 | C4D | Adobe Suite | Cinema 4D | Unity
MSFS |The Skypark | Orbx | Milviz | PMDG | anxiously waiting for A2A
Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | CH Pro Pedals |Stream Deck XL

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

Oh boy most difficult question today!

From my 3: Cherokee; P-51 Civilian; Cub. My favorite?

I think it would be close between the P-51 and the Cherokee, but I lean more toward the Cherokee.

P-51
The P-51 has amazing night lighting and I LOVE the canopy, Seeing the stars and Pink/purple sunset is absolutely stunning to look up at. Also the "if you don't your engine is going to explode" Engine management makes it very fun to fly and be nitty gritty about every detail. Also the spin of death on slow approaches and turning stalls also gives me a challenge to accept as well as a good heart workout.

Lastly the infuriating single comms that drives me up the wall keeps me ahead of the game in IFR....until I see I'm diving in altitude...."wait what did center say? Oh just put the autopilot on and switch comms...almost got the frequency dialed in...why am I in a 90 Degree turn autopilot? 'N5412V Did you copy?'...Just gotta' dial in that VOR.....Where was that traffic at??......gotta' open the oil flaps I don't like the temps that high....WHY AM I IN A 90DEG TURN AGAIN AUTOPILOT?!?!... '12V Did you copy??' AHAHGRR GET ME DOWN :lol: :lol: " It evokes the "best" emotions from me Is what I am trying to show.

Cherokee
I love it because it takes me back to when I used to fly a 1964' Cessna Skylane. That manual primer, old school engine management gauge brick over on the right, that old school style radio stack, ahh I can smell it. Plus its absolutely amazing and stunning in every way. The pre-flight bit is what puts me over the edge for the Cherokee as my favorite....it is MY plane I've even got a notepad full of every replaced item and compression check :) If the P-51 Had a detailed changeable parts hangar and pre-flight it would be my favorite.

Cub
:cry: I think the last time I flew it was in December 2016? :cry: I never get to fly this bird anymore....the "older" type of development age doesn't help either. If there is one feature I miss on that bird it is the hand prop turn with the mouse. That is absolutely amazing. I can feel it right there...Yank that prop down and maybe she'll turn over this time. Amazing. Just wish I had more time to fly it as it is very..........very slow.
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

It's very hard to pick just one A2A aircraft; however I can break it down into the following categories:

General Aviation - Comanche 250
Pilot Trainer - T-6 Texan
WWII Fighter - P-47 Thunderbolt
WWII Bomber - B-17G Flying Fortress
Prop Airliner - L049 Constellation

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Cub, P-40, P-51D, Spitfire, B377, C172R, and the C182T; but I do find myself flying the 5 I listed above more than the others.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :D

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”