How do you fly from a Class C, D Apt loc. in Class B A/S?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: How do you fly from a Class C, D Apt loc. in Class B A/S

Post by n421nj »

Don't forget to monitor guard 121.5 just in case you unknowingly violate someone's airspace. At least you'll hear the f15s coming. Lol
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Oracle427 wrote:Without reviewing any procedures, my hunch is that you would want to get ATIS for DFW and then be talking to their approach for clearance into the Bravo
I am wondering if you couldn't just call up Dallas Exec Clearance Delivery and pick up a VFR clearance into the DFW Class Bravo...
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Oh yeah that would make a lot of sense to try.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

N324JK
Staff Sergeant

Post by N324JK »

So being in the infamous ORD Class B area, where Thou Shalt Not Enter the Bravo Unless Thou Art IFR (and even then, they'll try and route you South, West, or North to stay out of Bravo as long as possible unless you're one of those human flying mailing tubes), this is what we do. Say you're up at Palwaukee (or if you like the more recent name, Chicago Executive - either way, it's still PWK), which is just outside of the portion of the Bravo that goes all the way to the surface. PWK is Class D. All you need to do, if you're departing VFR, is go through a normal Class D departure request (who you are, where you are, what you want to do, and ATIS). No need to get Clearance Delivery or Chicago Approach involved. Assuming your intent is to get out of the Bravo, you depart PWK, and then essentially follow the shelves up to stay under the Bravo, until you're completely out. This will work whether you're in real life or FSX (FSX ATC does, in fact, recognize the floor of Bravo airspace, although it will hint that you need to contact Approach if it looks like you're about to climb up into it from below). The only reason you would ever be required to get Class B clearance is if your route of flight took you directly over ORD (or, in your case, DFW) within the inner ring.

To the Class C airspace point: this is one of the largest discrepancies in FSX stock ATC. As far as clearance to enter Class C airspace in real life is concerned, all you need to enter is to establish two-way communications and your transponder on. "Establishing two-way communications" just means the controller reads back your tail number. The way I simulate this in FSX is by requesting the Class C Approach for flight following (FSX ATC will always read back your tail number or call sign). I don't bother with requesting transition because, in the real world, you don't really request transition of a Charlie airspace, you basically just tell them you're transitioning; if they want you to remain outside of the Charlie, they'll tell you (and FSX ATC will never tell you to stay outside).

There are all sorts of great resources on the interwebs to help understand this stuff - podcasts, YouTube videos, etc. And of course, this awesome community. After all, I can't remember who said it first, but just keep in mind that the license to fly is also a license to learn - and the day you stop learning is probably also the day you ought to stop flying.

Clear skies, tail winds in cruise!
Jon K.
Image Image Image ImageImage

Still Learning
Senior Airman

Post by Still Learning »

A great resource on YouTube on all of that are the PilotEdge Webinars. Be forewarned: they are long, but he explains everything.

Still Learning
As of 8/14/17 | NZXT S340 Elite | AORUS Gaming 7 Z270 | i7 7770K @4.8 GhZ | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11 GB | 16GB DDR 4 RAM @ 2666 MhZ | Samsung EVO 850 SSD 1TB

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”