I've got this nostalgic 1990's obsession

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

I've got this nostalgic 1990's obsession

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

I mean like I am really obsessed over 1990's computers.I think that it may be because I missed a lot of that era in personal computing (though I did get a new PC in 1999).I think that it was over what I couldn't have afforded back in the mid 1990's and so I missed out totally on the Pentium,Windows 95,Internet thing back in 95 to 98.What an amazing evolution though from the plain ole 1.44 mb microdisks through multimedia Sound cards and CD-rom kits then to DVD drives and early CD-RW drives.Then from crude color graphics and 2D cards to like the 3DFX cards and NVidia GeForce 256.3DFX later sadly died in 2000.Also DSL Internet was becoming common.Remember the crude PC Games of the early 90's and then seeing almost photo type real graphics on Falcon 4 or Janes USAF.
All we needed at the worst was Product Key Codes so there was no draconian DRM and Windows, man no activation either.
If your computer died hey your software still could work on another machine.From the slow 486's (and even 386's) to the powerhouse Pentium III and early Athlons it was an enormous era of change.Remember those brickhouse stores where software was obtained.
Where I purchased my PC just two months later Future Shop went belly up in 1999 in the USA and CompUSA disappeared mostly retail in the mid 2000 era. I remember when I first purchase the flight sim add on called Firepower from Shockwave Productions (now A2ASimulations) in a nearby CompUSA in 2004.I just had to see whom was behind this amazing add on and that's how I became a very early forum member here.

Somehow I am obsessed with my 1990's era computer hardware collection so I have quite a few Pentium 1,2 and 3 systems and also AMD era systems.O.K I have a few 486's too.Why just last month I purchased like 7 3DFX cards just for my vintage systems.My software collection is huge too(Lots of flight sims both combat and civilian).

I remember back in 2001 getting Pentium systems for $10 in a thrift store what 6,5 or 4 years earlier would have cost like $2,000.
Ha Ha in a way I didn't really miss out.Even those uber Pentium III PC's that would have cost $2,000 in 1999 several years later I obtained for $50 for each one.Also I have a recent 450 Mhz Pentium II acquisition.Maybe I'll put two 3DFX Voodoo 2 12mb cards in SLI in that one.
To me somehow the 1990's kind of mirrors the 1960's in a way.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”