A2A Twin Engine Trainer

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Matt81
Airman First Class

Re: A2A Twin Engine Trainer

Post by Matt81 »

It's not really a twin trainer but It would be really cool. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Matt81 on 01 Jun 2014, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Agreed the Bug Smasher would be great. It's one of my favourite's, as it's so unusual. Thanks to Claude Dornier for the engine layout, it does resolve the engine out situation well. I'd like to see something with a bit more power than Carenado's effort, though.

However, having spent many hours in Milton Shupe's wonderful Aero Commanders, I have to say that this is the one that floats my boat, but a DC-3 is very close.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Kiwi Spitfire
Senior Airman

Post by Kiwi Spitfire »

pjc747 wrote:I'd like to see a Beechcraft Baron myself, not the ideal for training, but for GA flying it is fast and performs very well all-around.
I will give this a big +1 also, as this is the aircraft I would be looking at getting for real (Wife only wants to fly in something with 2 engines) :wink: . Decent pax capacity twin engine recip GA's are pretty thin on the ground, and Baron is pretty much top of the heap performance (and price!) wise, sorry Piper hehe.

Making do with a certain Duke at the moment that is very nice, and pretty close to a Baron - but she aint no A2A bird! :(
ImageImageImageImageImage

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha | Intel i7-6700K@ 4.5Ghz O/C | G-Skill 16GB 2800MHz DDR4 RAM | Asus Strix 6GB nVidia GTX980ti | 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M2 | Phillips 32" Display | TrackIR |Win10 64bit.

CrownCityMisfit
Senior Airman

Post by CrownCityMisfit »

C310 or Baron would please me.

But ANY new Accusim aircraft would please me! :D
10900k | 3090 | Win10 | C4D | Adobe Suite | Cinema 4D | Unity
MSFS |The Skypark | Orbx | Milviz | PMDG | anxiously waiting for A2A
Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | CH Pro Pedals |Stream Deck XL

Skyfox
Senior Airman

Post by Skyfox »

A2A Team needs to do a the new Beechcraft G58 with the new avionics like full G1000

Same as in the beechcraft's site http://www.beechcraft.com/beechcraft/ba ... onics.aspx

I am sure A2A now has the pull to get in on some discussions with Beechcraft/Textron to make this happen.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

Skyfox wrote:A2A Team needs to do a the new Beechcraft G58 with the new avionics like full G1000

Same as in the beechcraft's site http://www.beechcraft.com/beechcraft/ba ... onics.aspx

I am sure A2A now has the pull to get in on some discussions with Beechcraft/Textron to make this happen.
What about a Baron 55 instead, with the beautiful wooden panel, and the old and nice steamgauges. What's what I'm all about - never really liked glass-cockpits...

http://www.csobeech.com/images/Jack3.jpg
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I'd actually prefer Seneca over the Baron. While Baron is somewhat higher class airplane, Seneca is turbocharged for altitude performance and to have something new in engine management. Also, I've understood that at least the earlier Barons were not really nice airplanes in handling, though that is based on someone's personal opinions. (That wouldn't necessarily make them less interesting in sim though!)

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I'd like to see a tecnam p2006t. Great twin trainer. Retractable gear, high wing, burns same fuel as c182.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Kiwi Spitfire
Senior Airman

Post by Kiwi Spitfire »

AKar wrote:I'd actually prefer Seneca over the Baron. While Baron is somewhat higher class airplane, Seneca is turbocharged for altitude performance and to have something new in engine management. Also, I've understood that at least the earlier Barons were not really nice airplanes in handling, though that is based on someone's personal opinions. (That wouldn't necessarily make them less interesting in sim though!)
You can get turbo Baron G58 also.
ImageImageImageImageImage

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha | Intel i7-6700K@ 4.5Ghz O/C | G-Skill 16GB 2800MHz DDR4 RAM | Asus Strix 6GB nVidia GTX980ti | 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M2 | Phillips 32" Display | TrackIR |Win10 64bit.

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

Well, there's the Baron 58TC, which is turbocharged, the Baron 58P, which is turbocharged, the Baron 56TC, which is turbocharged (and faster than the Duke and early King Airs), as well as several Baron 55 conversion kits that adds a supercharger to the Continental IO-470. The 58P would be interesting, as its pressurization would allow for a high-altitude GA plane not requiring oxygen.
Kiwi Spitfire wrote:You can get turbo Baron G58 also.
The Baron G58 is a normally aspirated model; it has a G1000 flight deck which is interesting, but I heard over at PMDG that modeling the G1000 has a complexity level similar to airliner computers, and would be very time consuming.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Kiwi Spitfire wrote:You can get turbo Baron G58 also.
I don't think so.. Baron is a very unfamiliar airplane for me, but it seems that the production of 58TC and 58P variants ended up back in mid-80'ies, and they seem to be comparatively rare (though still, interestingly, more numerous than Dukes). Except for some TC models, they doesn't seem to fall under the same type certificate with 'basic' Baron either (though in GA world that doesn't necessarily mean that much).

Not that P or TC wouldn't make an interesting airplane for simulation, I just feel that they are perhaps somewhat oddballs to make a study sim of. :) That's just me, anyway!

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

According to my Travel Air/Baron book, there were 735 total turbocharged Beechcraft Barons factory built. These include:

81 Baron 56TC } Lycoming TIO-540 @ 380hp
11 Baron A56TC ''
494 Baron 58P } Continential TIO-520 @ 310-325hp
149 Baron 58TC "

I'm pretty sure there are some Baron 55s converted to the Turbosupercharged format, however I'm unsure as to if any STC's are available.

The Baron 56TC was an interesting airplane; it was the standard Baron 55 airframe fitted with two Lycoming TIO-540-E1A4's which produced 380hp each. It could cruise, at 65% power, 20,000ft, 254mph; at 25,00ft, 79% power (the power setting Cessna and Cirrus advertise their singles at), it could do 290mph. This put it ahead of not only the Baron 55, 58, and the Duke, but against the earliest King Air models. Beechcraft wanted to have more real-world experience with the new Lycoming engines before the Duke was put up to market; built from 1967-1971, only 92 were built. The 55's smaller cabin, which was unable to comfortably fit six grown men (for more than a very short hop), and its lack of pressurization meant that to realize its full capabilities, flying at or above 20,000ft was necessary, and this meant full mask oxygen, and thus, it sold poorly. Nevertheless, it is my favorite piston GA twin.

^ This shows you how massive its engines were, and why it performed so well.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Yeah, 56TC sure seems to be an interesting aircraft, and importantly, it looks nice, and is properly overkill. :) I have no experience whatsoever about Barons, but some of TIO-541-E1A4/E1C4 (don't recall which or both - they are similar except for the turbocharger details). Generally speaking, it is rather powerful, smooth and high-flying engine, but quite troublesome and unreliable with practical achievable TBO probably less than half of its specified 1600 hours. Of course, in a sim where maintenance hangar visits cost no money, that would just add to it. Accusim Duke would be nice, though they are probably quite hard to find and expensive to flight test.

n6843j
Airman Basic

Post by n6843j »

What about Cessna 310 ?

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

A2A Twin Engine Trainer

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Anything but a plane with a BiG GLASS panel - I think an A2A Beech is long overdue ! For a true "Trainer" - the Duchess has been used by many flights schools over the years and a hoot to fly....
:)

My vote:

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”