A2A Cessna C172 any news on this?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Neon
Technical Sergeant

A2A Cessna C172 any news on this?

Post by Neon »

Hey,

I was wondering when the Cessna C172 will be released? I'm really
eager to buy this product and would love to know more about it.

Also, I noticed you mentioned you are working on two general aviation
aircraft, what is the other one and when will it be release? I want it too
regardless of type. :)

Neon

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: A2A Cessna C172 any news on this?

Post by Scott - A2A »

Our C172 is in very good shape and beta testing is calming down. We just have some last bits to add, which are time consuming. As soon as these last bits are in place, we'll do a dev video and show this properly.

A Piper Cherokee and an F-104 are also being built.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

Great to hear that the C172 project is going well. I'm really eager to see the dev video! The Cherokee, too, will definitely be on my list.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Do you guys think that the Cessna 172 is coming along so well because you had more access to the real plane then other models you made such as the B17 or P51?
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

n421nj wrote:Do you guys think that the Cessna 172 is coming along so well because you had more access to the real plane then other models you made such as the B17 or P51?
Access is important for sure. The more the better.
But access is only the tip of the Accusim iceberg. What makes accusim work so well is what is done with that access. Access produces macro and micro information concerning systems, visuals, and sound. You sit in a cockpit and you throw a switch. There's a sound and you can see visually the result of that switch having been thrown.
But what's happening deep inside the aircraft as that switch was thrown is quite another matter. You can then pick up a manual and read what happens. And THIS is where it all can come to a screeching halt without the talent and expertise to transfer everything that happens when that switch was thrown to a finished computer simulation.
It's in this one word..........TRANSFER........ wherein lies the true secret that defines accusim. What sets A2A apart in my estimation anyway is that A2A contains within itself a tremendous amount of knowledge in all the areas necessary to transfer what is actually happening to the finished product. This includes the physics and mechanics involved as well as the programming know how to complete the transfer process.
So assuming you have all the above in tow, next you have to create the visual presentation that supports all this accusim reality. Enter the creative artistry at A2A.
The visual graphics created by the A2A team are second to none. The recreation of the aircraft and cockpit in visual detail by the a2A team is just simply first rate. It's unbelievable creative representation.
Last but not least, you can create all this perfectly and still fail if it doesn't perform properly. This is where the beta team comes in. A2A has considerable talent in real world aviation at its disposal. The pilots involved in the beta process have flown everything from Cubs to high performance jet fighters. Everybody contributes. It's a team effort all the way. We test the flight model time and time again, each pilot contributing knowledge and experience. Invariably if one of us is satisfied, someone else isn't. We spend hours getting it just right.
When it all reaches the point where ALL of us agree it's as it should be.......we release it to the public.
As you have seen, this is the LONG answer :-))))))))

The short answer is that access to a 172 has made the process easier for sure.
:-)))))))))

Dudley Henriques

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Wow. Ty dudley for that great response.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

n421nj wrote:Wow. Ty dudley for that great response.
i DO tend to get a bit pedantic at times with my responses. It's the old CFI coming out in me :-)))
DH

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Don't be silly the more details the better. Like most everyone on this forum we are happy to get teased with even the littlest bit of information on any of the upcoming projects.
Andrew

All Accusim Aircraft

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

n421nj wrote:Don't be silly the more details the better. Like most everyone on this forum we are happy to get teased with even the littlest bit of information on any of the upcoming projects.
Well in that case you have received the straight scoop.
DH

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

n421nj wrote:Do you guys think that the Cessna 172 is coming along so well because you had more access to the real plane then other models you made such as the B17 or P51?
Yes and no, we have had access to the real aircraft for all of our accu-sim birds thanks to a great warbird community (You can see some footage from research trips on various videos from us on our you tube channel; http://www.youtube.com/user/ShockwaveProd/videos ) . However with the 172 it is naturally easier access and also more direct pilot time.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Since you guys have much more direct pilot access have you found yourselves taking more test flights then other aircraft in order to get the flight dynamics just perfect?
Lets face it, the c172 is probably one of the most common training aircraft on the market. It will be assessed with the highest scrutiny becuase most pilots have at least a couple hours logged in a cessna 172 and are familiar with the way the fly. That being said, Im sure the flight dynamics of the B17 or p51 are extremely accurate but having never flown one and probably never will, they could be the flight dynamics of a flying boot for all I know. However, having logged over 100 flight hours in a cessna 172 I will know right away if it "feels right."
Has the extremely large number of customers that will have real world flight time in this aircraft influenced the way you guys went about programming it?
Andrew

All Accusim Aircraft

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Andrew,

There are all kinds of ways to get to the truth about how an airplane flies and functions. On one hand, the warbirds have a plethora of professional flight performance tests whereas the C172 we had to do most all of the performance tests ourselves.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

"However, having logged over 100 flight hours in a cessna 172 I will know right away if it "feels right." "

Andrew,

One of the interesting things about the C172 is the "break" between the "old" models and the late 1990's vintage. I think there will be more than a few "old" timers who question some of the FM if they have never flown an R. The 1990's babies are heavier and fly a bit differently than your average 1960/70 bird. The differences are subtle, for the most part, but are there nonetheless. The big advantage that A2A has is that along with having access to the aircraft, the beta team also have, between them, many hundreds if not thousands of hours on the later models. Some also (not me, I promise :) :) ;) ) seem to take a perverse pleasure in disecting the model to the 'nth degree and wanting miniscule details reproduced faithfully :) . More importantly, a number have many hours flying the aircraft in training/testing situations where there is more "on the edge" handling than your average $100 hamburger GA pilot.

All in all this makes for a better base for the guys on the development team who do the REAL magic..

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

n421nj wrote:....However, having logged over 100 flight hours in a cessna 172 I will know right away if it "feels right."
Has the extremely large number of customers that will have real world flight time in this aircraft influenced the way you guys went about programming it?
One thing to bear in mind when thinking like this is how every simulator you fly is different beyond the flight modeling. What I mean is that, whilst being on the development side of the hobby and in particular dealing with support issues for many years now its easy to under estimate the non programmed part of flight simulation.

A realistic Flight model is only as good as the hardware it runs on and even then its about feel to an individual. With so many different feeling joysticks, yokes and other controllers its easy to understand why when people ask in the sim community what is a realistic flight model aircraft/helo the answers given can often vary wildly.

Nevertheless as has been mentioned there have been some rather hardcore testing of this because as you note, most pilots flying have time in a 172. So side by side comparisons to the models we have been flying have been a key part of development and continue thanks to our expert aviator based beta team.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

I've only flown one C172 (a "Millennium" SP), but can also testify that no other aircraft that I have ever flown has 'felt' like any other.

The school I learned to fly at had two Warriors, four C152 IIs and a Reims FA-152 Aerobat. Not one of them handled exactly the same as any other. I then "upgraded" to a bunch more C152s and a pair of Piper Archers at the next club. Some were downright evil (I'm talking about you Alpha Delta!), meandering all over the sky on a whim, while others were stable as a rock (Kilo Sierra, Juliet Bravo). The reasons are different ages, engines, props, fit-outs, different amounts of abuse over the years in different ways, even just differently adjusted trim tabs.

I can't remember the registration of the Aceair C152 fitted with a "climb" prop, but it could fly the fastest and tightest circuit of the pack by a long way. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to fly it anywhere cross country. Lima Romeo had long range fuel tanks. It handled like an absolute whale, because the fuel occupied more of the wing (greater roll inertia due to increased moments... and you could actually feel the fuel sloshing if you did anything silly like a steep turn), but you could cruise it forever, solo. It was over weight for takeoff with full tanks and 2POB. ;)

What I'm basically trying to say is that when people start trying to compare sim aircraft to real aircraft they've flown, what are they actually comparing and is it really comparable? That's above and beyond Lewis's very valid comments about settings and controls when sitting at a desk in front of a monitor.

Ian P.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”