Those lovely 787's

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Those lovely 787's

Post by seaniam81 »

Japan and FAA ground all 787's
Seems the great 787 is having all sorts of problems.
This is the second problem with the batteries, first time was an actual fire. Then there was the fuel leak twice. Oh and the breaks, and a cracked windscreen.
30 of the 50 787's are now stuck on the ground.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Re: Those lovely 787's

Post by CAPFlyer »

Very innacurate information there man. The fuel issues have multiple causes and only one was mechanical. The battery issue may or may not be 787 only as there has been several incidents in other aircraft with that kind of battery. Additionally I find it odd that most of these issues are happening to JAL and ANA aircraft. United has had only 1 incident and none of the others are having any at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

Sorry Chris, my information is correct. Just condensed because I'm writing on my playbook. I'll give that the break indicator problem is/was/most likely an indicator issue. And the cracked windshield isn't really a 787 problem. However two battery problems so close together and the fuel leaks are very wonky.
Why ANA and JAL? considering ANA was the launch customer and have had their aircraft a year before United could have something to do with it. Also ANA and JAL use their aircraft on short routes with high cycles.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

One fuel issue was a pribkem with the plane being overfueled and the "leak" was the surge tank venting fuel while the plane was taxiing. The other was a fuel manifold problem but that is an issue with the sub that makes those and has been addressed, the plane in question had not yet been modified though. The battery issues are suspicious because Boeing did extensive testing and certification on those batteries and had no problems with them in 4 years of testing. I suspect the issue is more the way that JAL and ANA are using the planes, not the part itself. LiMH batteries will get very hot if being used while charging at the same time. The system can be overriden to allow that to happen and I suspect that is what is happening as both actual issues happened as or shortly after the APU was started.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Oh yeah, anf neither ANA or JAL use their 787s on short haul. The JAL flight was on layover after flying from Tokyo to Boston.

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

Lets not forget that Air India grounded their 787's for various reasons and had to call Boeing in because of Avionics cooling system issues.
And why wouldn't we see problems coming from ANA and JAL they currently own 49% of all the 797.

Edit: LAN just grounded their 6.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

You always call the manufacturer for warranty work man. All planes cme with a warranty on certain things in case of problems. Heck, don't forget that both the A320 and A380 had multiple groundings in their first year of service. And the A380 suffered a much more serious issue when it had an engine suffer an uncontained failure.

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

CAPFlyer wrote: And the A380 suffered a much more serious issue when it had an engine suffer an uncontained failure.
Yep and everybody made a big deal of that too. Dispite it was a problem with the engine its self and not the A380.
I've got nothing against the 787 or Boeing other then this crap has lost me money some money with the stalk drop.

Sundowner
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Sundowner »

CAPFlyer wrote:Additionally I find it odd that most of these issues are happening to JAL and ANA aircraft.
Probably a problem with the media coverage, as Polish LOT is also having some serious issues with landing gear, door seals and all sorts of electrical problems.
Chris Oleksy
"I give that landing a 7 on the Richter scale."

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Landing gear issue was an indication problem (improperly adjusted/installed sensor - same problem that caused a similar emergency on an ANA flight in November 2011). The general electrical problems are nothing new on any new airplane. The A340 had a major problem with system resets during its first few years. The A320 series still goes through spates of issues after major flight software updates. The door seals is one I've not found any information on anywhere. I'm not sure which seals are in question, but I know that when Boeing started using a new type of seal on the 777 they had problems where the door would be hard to latch if not properly adjusted because the seal tolerances were much tighter than on the original design.

stiz
BDG

Post by stiz »

the funny thing is ... if it was airbus haveing all the problems people would be saying "thats what you get for not buying american!" ... which is ironic as boeing is about as "american" as cuban cigars :roll: :wink:

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

Could have sworn I posted something in this topic earlier but...
All 787's are grounded now.
Oh and Chris ANA's 787 have been flying domestic. It was on a domestic flight the windscreen cracked.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

The windshield isn't unique to the 787 and not an issue for concern. There's never been a single aircraft type with heated windscreens that hasn't suffered a cracked windshield. Not dangerous, just annoying as all hell. I seem to remember one of the Boeing prototypes (can't remember if it was the 737 or 777) had it happen on one of the first test flights. Crew basically said in the debrief that they were happy to get that particular problem out of the way early.

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

The 787 will be fine, don't worry. I think, however, they skipped ahead a little too much with technology on a single plane.

seaniam81
Technical Sergeant

Post by seaniam81 »

There is a report that Boeing was told that these batteries posed a flight safety risk back in 2006. A few months later the company who did the testing of the batteries had a battery burn down their main building.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”