What Cessna 172 Model?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
whiic
Staff Sergeant

Re: What Cessna 172 Model?

Post by whiic »

Pistonpilot wrote:Regarding Carenado:

I love their aircraft. I own many.

I then suddenly abruptly un-love them when I go to move the prop lever and the whole plane wobbles like it's been hit by another airplane with even the slightest of RPM changes.

Something about their flight modeling -- especially their twins -- causes this problem, and it's a real immersion breaker. You could go to town on the RPM levers in the real-world airplanes (within reason) and they wouldn't throw you through the windscreen. ;)
That's quite FSX for you. At least when it's improperly configured. A2A's old products aren't immune to that either. For example B-377 (even after CotS) is like that. Consider that you've descended with rather low rpm and throttle. Then you need to apply more engine braking, or you are on final and propare prop rpm for landing, you move the prop pitch to high rpm... and the entire plane hits a brick wall. You find your face in the windscreen. And I think it might even wobble as it does it. I don't really remember any more as I prefer Core equiped Accusim planes and a wide range of mostly freeware planes.

Anyway, wobble is fine. Wobble (for example: overshoot) is part of hydraulic prop pitch with constant speed unit. The problem is that moving the prop rpm selector lever from min to max makes propeller's rpm change about the same speed as the movement of the lever. If you move it fast, you can shoot your rpm from min to max governed rpm in fraction of a second. Hydraulic prop pitch governors aren't that fast. Not even close. Also, the attenuating wobble around target rpm after rapid change of prop lever position happens in a very high frequency... and this also makes the entire plane hit that "brick wall" repetitively.

MFW this happens:

[MOD EDIT] No profanity on the forums, as kids are present.

I was actually hoping when CotS was released that they would have patched that prop governor with a slower one. I don't know if B-17 has the same problem (as co-pilot rpm automation would mask the problem) but they could have fixed that B-377 is some way or another even without converting B-377 into Core (which would have been a much bigger deal). B-377 feels like a kite compared to B-17... or lets say, it flies like a Carenado. Too bad since the system's modeling (and AI for engineer automation) is extremely well done. If only it wasn't so borked when it comes to stuff that's part of FSX itself (like that prop pitch control).

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

Agreed on all counts, whiic!

Conveniently, it doesn't seem that Carenado's spin-off brand Alabeo suffers from this problem as much. Plus, some of their new aircraft are very unconventional as far as FSX aircraft go.

I particularly enjoy their new Waco, though it's taken a back seat to A2A products because its engine won't explode if I happen to forget to check the oil, etc, etc.

-Ian

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

cornell blok
Airman First Class

Post by cornell blok »

Sorry this is a old topic but some of you really try hard to make the C172 a very complicated machine :lol: :lol:

I've been involved in a flying club for 16 years with 2 x C172 and they are really the old faithfuls and I know how they get smashed around and was never ever short on TBO, I've also owned a C172 before I bought my C182, these are wonderful machines for going places but truly boring for FSX.

She will fly on full throttle the whole day how do you think we break in a new engine ? Balls to the wall boetie !!!!!

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JoeS475 »

It's anyone's guess. I'm looking forward to it, since the 172 is the only aircraft I soloed in before running out of money! I'm guessing it will be like the A2A Cub, insofar as you don't have to worry about the throttle too much, but I'm kinda thinking they are gonna add preflight stuff, like sumping the tanks and manually checking the oil, anything they can do to make this a trainer that can be supplemented in real world use.

It's anyone's guess, but being Accusim it's gonna be the best C172 ever modeled short of the real thing, that's a fact.

Joe
Joe

cornell blok
Airman First Class

Post by cornell blok »

JoeS475 wrote:It's anyone's guess. I'm looking forward to it, since the 172 is the only aircraft I soloed in before running out of money! I'm guessing it will be like the A2A Cub, insofar as you don't have to worry about the throttle too much, but I'm kinda thinking they are gonna add preflight stuff, like sumping the tanks and manually checking the oil, anything they can do to make this a trainer that can be supplemented in real world use.

It's anyone's guess, but being Accusim it's gonna be the best C172 ever modeled short of the real thing, that's a fact.

Joe

Don't get me wrong Joe I also think that a A2A C172 will be something amazing we where actually talking about A2A and their aircraft the other day and we all agreed that A2A is the leading pioneers in FSX aircraft design but a nice radial like the DC 3 would be truly welcomed.

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

You know its funny, I've got about 200hrs in 172s, and only about 6hrs in a Warrior. I am actually a little more excited about the Cherokee, probably because I didn't have as much flight time in it to really understand it like I did the Skyhawk. I know the 172 will be fantastic as well.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

BPL
Staff Sergeant

Post by BPL »

As for me, I'm excited about the 172 because, if I were able to afford to take flying lessons, that's probably what I'd be flying. I use FSX mainly to compensate for the fact that I can't currently afford to fly in the real world, so I like to fly planes in FSX that I would be able to fly IRL. IRL, I probably wouldn't be flying a DC-3. :wink: Therefore, I'm extremely excited about this release. Besides, the 172 is simply an iconic GA aircraft, and FSX is sadly lacking a good model of it. I think a high-quality 172 for FSX is long overdue.
Last edited by BPL on 16 Mar 2013, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

Joey
Airman First Class

Post by Joey »

I think they should have one of the older tail-dragger Cessnas. I don't know if the 172 was that way at all in it's history, though.
-Иосиф

Спасибо!

Joey
Airman First Class

Post by Joey »

Come to think of it, I don't know any other company that's made a re-make for the ol' 172. Carenado might've but I think A2A is the first.
-Иосиф

Спасибо!

megs8888
Airman

What Cessna 172 Model?

Post by megs8888 »

Real Air is making one.

ft
Staff Sergeant

Post by ft »

Joey wrote:Come to think of it, I don't know any other company that's made a re-make for the ol' 172.
I'd say Flight1's offering is the one A2A's Cessna will be measured against. It is pretty much spot on, as far as normal driving goes. People keep ragging on Flight1's external models but I wouldn't know. I have yet to find an aircraft which is flown from the outside, so I really don't spend time looking at FS aircraft from the outside either. :)

Looking forward to A2A's take on the venerable old bird, for sure.

(I did try to find whether there's a rule against discussing other manufacturer's products here but didn't find one. In fact, didn't find any forum rules at all? If they exist, and if this is a breach of etiquette, my apologies. I don't think A2A has anything to fear from the being compared to the competition... unless they go for a 737. :) )
Be warned: Aero engineer, real life pilot, sim programmer. Nothing good can come out of that.

Rocket_Bird
Senior Airman

Post by Rocket_Bird »

Carenado's Cessna 172N is actually a pretty solid model, especially with Accufeel. Yeah some of their other models are a little off, but I find that their N model performs and flies pretty close to the real thing. The glide performance feels just like the real airplane when I try to put it into a maneuver like a power-off 180. My only issue with it is that it doesn't spin properly.
ImageImage
ImageImage

CharlieP51
Staff Sergeant

Post by CharlieP51 »

I purchased the Carenado Cessna Centurion II Turbo for FSX the day it was available as I have some stick time in that bird as an avionics technician..well, Carenado's C210 is still broken as most know and despite repeated calls for 'bug fixes' basically Carenado just doesn't respond period. I do not want to speculate why it is this way because it just gets me upset.

SO..instead it is time to warm-up the oil in my Accu-Sim Civilian P51-D.

It's JUST a SIMULATION ;)
Happy SKIES to ALL :) :) :)
Intel Core i7 at 4.2 Ghz w/H2O-16G HyperX RAM-Crucial M4 128G SSD (x2) FSX-SSD & Win7-SSD -GTX 690 5G DDR5-LG 32" HDMI 1920x1080

ImageImage
Image Image

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”