How to eliminate trees too close on FSX runways' ends??

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
BiBa
Senior Airman

How to eliminate trees too close on FSX runways' ends??

Post by BiBa »

I wonder if someone knows how to modify the FSX.cfg file in a way to solve all pilot's nightmare of those trees too close on the runway's ends, a problem been stupidly overseen by the FSX programmers! I heard it somewhere, there is an algorithm for the cfg file (or elsewhere) that can eliminate trees that nearly stick to the landing zone of a runway to a specified distance.

Many thanks in advance

Yan
BigBang - WIN 7-64. Memory: 16.00 GB. CPU: 4 x 3.00 Ghz (Overclocked). Main Board: M4A79XTD EVO (ASUSTeK). Bios: 20102. Video: 2 GB RAM card. Refresh rate: 119 Hz. 3D Monitor: ASUS VG278H. TrackIR-5. SAITEK X52/Yoke/Rudder/Trim wheel

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Re: How to eliminate trees too close on FSX runways' ends??

Post by Caldemeyn »

BiBa
Senior Airman

Post by BiBa »

Caldemeyn wrote:I believe, this is what you need. :wink:
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Sea ... &Go=Search
Yapp, I got it! Thanks a lot - I O U 1
BigBang - WIN 7-64. Memory: 16.00 GB. CPU: 4 x 3.00 Ghz (Overclocked). Main Board: M4A79XTD EVO (ASUSTeK). Bios: 20102. Video: 2 GB RAM card. Refresh rate: 119 Hz. 3D Monitor: ASUS VG278H. TrackIR-5. SAITEK X52/Yoke/Rudder/Trim wheel

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

caldemeyn

Thanks for the tree removal info. I was also getting annoyed by the close in tree location at some airports.

I downloaded "Remove Trees 3X & 5X" - agexcl_3x.zip and agexcl_5X.zip from AVSIM Library.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord _ C-130 Flight Engineer :idea:

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

I use SBuilderX and create landclass polygons which are free of trees. I contour the shapes
of the polys to follow the default landclass...along roads, lines of shrubs or trees, etc.

I do this only on the runways that 'need it' so I don't wind up with a large area of
'shaddow trees' on the terrain where those 'automatic' tree removal utilities would
leave them. I just find those cosmetically ugly,
Paul
i7-4790K @4.4Ghz OC - ASUS Z97-A- 16GB Corsair 1600mHz - GTX 760 2GB
240GB + 500GB EVO SSD's - 2x500GB and 1x2TB WD Black 7200 RPM drives

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Avoiding the trees is part of the challenge and fun.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

The FSX trees are FAR too large and FAR too close to the runway, though. It's not a "challenge" to have a 100' high tree right on the threshold for a runway, it's extremely unrealistic. Heck. They even reduce the height of street lights if they are too close to a runway threshold, even when they are well within "normal" safety margins.

If the trees were a more realistic height then in wouldn't be a problem, it's that in FSX, a dwarf poplar is the same size as a giant redwood. ;)

Ian P.

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Thanks for the help :D Its nice to have the trees gone from the end of the runway.

Tug

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Amazes me how people spend good money on payware aircraft and fly into default FSX airports... :shock:

pilotgod
Senior Airman

Post by pilotgod »

The FAA states that for a runway to qualify for public funding and to be designated as a public use airport, obstructions may not exceed a 20:1 slope which starts at 5' altitude above the defined runway threshold. The airport has two options, remove any obstructions that penetrate this area, or move the threshold and therefore the slope (main reason for displaced thresholds). For IFR, this slope is widened out, but maintains the 20:1 slope. So, legally, a 100' tree (assumed it was surveyed to within 3' accuracy) is not allowed any closer than 2000' feet from the threshold within a 20* wide arc (10* each side of centerline). FOr VFR these slopes extend usually 2 miles unless other reasons are needed. An IFR airport has this slope extended out to 5 miles. There are of course waivers and other factors that can come into play. Look at a few airports in Alaska for proof. Anyone interested in a fun departure, I would recommend flying the JMAAL THREE (OBSTACLE) departure out of Valdez, AK (PAVD). This is pretty much the limit of what the FAA will allow on an obstacle departure.

So yes, having a 100' tree right off the end of your public use runway is unrealistic, but not out of place for say a USFS airfield in Idaho. I have used a few tools over time to remove them, but as I am running a lot of ORBX scenery that need is no longer present.

BTW, my source for the above info is my brother who is the one that designed the Valdez procedures. He got quite a few new grey hairs when he was working on that one.
System Specs:
Intel i7-2600 @ 4.3GHz, ASUS P8P67-Deluxe, 8GB DDR3-1600, ATI Radeon HD7770 (2GB), OCZ Vertex 250GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB HDD (Data)
FSX w/Acceleration and tons of add-ons.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”