London Airport 1966

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

London Airport 1966

Post by bladerunner900 »

Found these pictures the other day. I took them in 1966 during a school trip to London Airport, with my mums Box Brownie.

A long time ago.

:wink:

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: London Airport 1966

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
I was 16 in 1966 and i recognise all the aircraft in the pics even worked on two of the types in the pics later in my life bristol britannia in the RAF between 1970/1975 and the BAC 111 in 1990 for BA at heathrow.
regards alan. 8)

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi,

Nice pictures! Good job bladerunner900! Back in those days not everyone could take pictures at any given time with HD quality. :mrgreen:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Hi Alan.

I was 11 at the time and about to move up a school. Five years after that I tried to enlist in the RAF but failed. Could have gone in a year later as an adult but I had a job by then.

Hi Will.

Hardly HD mate :D :lol:. The built in lens was very small and not very good and I failed to take any action shots of take-off or landing. I couldn't get the hang of framing anything moving in the viewing windows. Years later I got my first 35mm Zenith camera. It got easier after that.

Cheers
Steve.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

HD or no, thank you for sharing; I liked seeing them. I wish I could have seen it for myself, the days when propellers weren't just for regional airliners and rear-engine jets were ubiquitous.

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hi Steve,

I know, HD wasn't event a concept back then. ;) I was not born for the next 10 years. I also remember those cameras where you had to look trough a visor at the top right corner. Zenith is a completely different thing! :mrgreen:

Cheerz,
Will
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

rod55
Staff Sergeant

Post by rod55 »

Many thanks Steve for these atmospheric shots,

For your first excellent photo, with planes at gates and family on balcony, my parents looked just like this; clothing-wise. Dad would probably be wearing a tweedy jacket and smoking pipe. With my lovely mum by his side in her "modern" best.

In Summer '66, I was a 10 year old hanging around the gates of Welwyn Garden City hotels getting autographs of football stars of England, Germany etc for THAT World Cup.

Dad's career, after Navy Fleet Air Arm, was at Hatfield (north of London) with Comet and Trident and then from late '66 onwards we moved; so he worked at Filton (north of Bristol) as senior testing electrical engineer on Concorde. (I went to school nearby in Chipping Sodbury, which Dudley H. referred to in one of his recent messages) .... small world!

It doesn't seem that long ago to me (!?!?); events, people, things, music etc are still vivid to me.

Cheers,

Rod EGBB (STILL NO BLOOMIN' RAIN)

bal
Airman

Post by bal »

cool pictures I was 2 yers old in 66

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Beautiful pics of some awesome aircraft I wish we could Accu-sim right now :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”