Anyone using the red bird throttles?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Anyone using the red bird throttles?

Post by n421nj »

Curious if anyone is using the red bird th1 or th2 or tpm as their throttle set up. I’m sick of the ch and saitek always flopping around after a bit
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Re: Anyone using the red bird throttles?

Post by Les Parson »

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

n421nj wrote:Curious if anyone is using the red bird th1 or th2 or tpm as their throttle set up. I’m sick of the ch and saitek always flopping around after a bit
If throttles are your thing and the absolute best on the planet is your goal, the Virtual Fly TQ6 as far as I'm concerned is the ONLY choice. The equipment available from Virtual Fly is incomparable for the serious sim enthusiast.
I admit I've not tested the Redbird throttles but I've tested almost every other high end throttle on the market and the TQ6 is in a class by itself.
Dudley Henriques

Les Parson
Staff Sergeant

Post by Les Parson »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
n421nj wrote:Curious if anyone is using the red bird th1 or th2 or tpm as their throttle set up. I’m sick of the ch and saitek always flopping around after a bit
If throttles are your thing and the absolute best on the planet is your goal, the Virtual Fly TQ6 as far as I'm concerned is the ONLY choice. The equipment available from Virtual Fly is incomparable for the serious sim enthusiast.
I admit I've not tested the Redbird throttles but I've tested almost every other high end throttle on the market and the TQ6 is in a class by itself.
Dudley Henriques
I use Elite for twins - MEL for twin piston and King Air quadrant for turboprops. They are expensive but sturdy and reliable. The Virtual TQ6 looks very nice.

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I was looking at the tq6 but I heard it was suspectable to spiking and uneven values when levers in the same position. I figured since red bird throttles are certified for flight training they would be better. But I don’t know which is why I was asking as of right now the tq6 is top of the list.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

n421nj wrote:I was looking at the tq6 but I heard it was suspect to spiking and uneven values when levers in the same position. I figured since red bird throttles are certified for flight training they would be better. But I don’t know which is why I was asking as of right now the tq6 is top of the list.
I'm using the TQ6 in FSX using FSX settings only for both single and multi engine applications and have not had any spiking issues.
DH

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

There is one that I am waiting for from Honeycomb Aeronautical that they are releasing along side their new yoke, both of which look great for the price and while I am excited for both, I am only in the market for a TPM at the moment, as my CH Throttle Quadrant finally flew west. It gave me no issues for the 10 years I owned it, and for $125 I got more than my money's worth out of it. I am now using the throttle from my X-52 Pro in conjunction with my CH Yoke until the Honeycomb one comes out or I break down and buy another CH Throttle Quadrant, as for flopping around...I really don't know what you mean by that, I had mine for a decade, and used it hard, very hard, even loaning it to a guy that owned a flight school to use on his FSX sim that they used so he could try it out, and that thing was as tight as the day I bought it when I finally threw it into the trash can. As for the TQ6, I am not made of money, so I have no choice but to go budget.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The Honeycomb job is also one I'm watching I really like the idea of the Trim wheel included 8) 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

That Honeycomb set looks pretty fancy! So far my CH set is working nice though.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

I agree with Lewis the honeycomb looks interesting and I am pretty sure it is of better quality than the Saitek as I have used one and it's performance deteriorated within a short time. I am sure the redbird is of good quality but at $500 + is way over priced. My homemade throttle is smooth without any spiking and has been in service for just under two years. It is all metal (except the knobs), has 4 levers and 9 buttons and cost less than $50 to build. It uses slide pots and just to be safe I have a back up set in my parts box.The pots are quite inexpensive but I guarantee they are of better quality than anything you will find in the Saitek.

plicpriest1
Airman

Post by plicpriest1 »

dvm- do you have any schematics? Id like to give it a try. Also, the software that will help it run?
Brian

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Brian,

I have some photos etc. Will get back to you when I get a chance to put it all together (maybe manana) .

Vince

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

Brian,

The electronics is strait forward and the easiest part of the project. It is the mechanics that requires the most time and engineering. My throttle was a ad on to my existing switch panel and console and used the same joystick module which has 8 axis and 32 buttons and the software is available as a free download. All you have to do is connect the module to the pots and switches (lots of wires).
Building the actual throttle is the challenging part. Unless you enjoy building and brain storming you might be happier with a store bought throttle. If you want to attempt the project I will be glad to assist you with any info you might need. Here is the link to the guy who supplied my module. http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php ... 01b9caed26
There are outfits that sell similar modules but I am not that familiar with them. The photos will give you some idea of what the project entails.

bobbykins
Airman

Post by bobbykins »

Hi all -- this looks really interesting and I would like to have a go at this but my problem is not the making of the mechanical bits, but my total lack of the know how and confidence on the electronics side. But at that sort of price (I have looked at the site) I am prepare to have a go and make a mess of it. Would it be possible to expand on this with say some more pics. showing the wiring and connections? And is it as simple as downloading the firmware from their site? I remember seeing a video some time ago where the pots on the yoke had been replaced with this board to solve the detente problem . Anyone else had a go at this and was it successful?
As for the Honeycombe gear , it looks good and even with the current GBP exchange rate , looks very attractive as a replacement for the Saitek yoke. Anyone out there who has bought and used any of this gear yet and is prepared to review it?

bobbykins
P3Dv4 with Spit and Comanche with a load of FSX stuff lying unused for the last year!

ImpendingJoker
Staff Sergeant

Post by ImpendingJoker »

bobbykins
Sorry but the Honeycomb kit is not out yet. It was supposed to be out at the end of Q1 this year but, now Q2 has slipped, and we are now officially into Q3. Their Facebook posting has said they are making a few changes to the design to reduce cost and weight, as well as changing the the two trim switches on the right yoke grip 90* so they move left and right(as on real planes with yoke trim for the rudder/alierons) and looking at making the trim wheel motorized so it moves with the sim/autopilot. That being said I don't really need the motorized trim wheel as cool as it would be, and the yoke will have to wait either way. I am very much excited for the throttle quadrant as it come with levers for single dual piston engines and multi-jet engine WITH working thrust reverse levers. This last bit is what has me the most excited. I like to fly heavies every once in a while and my old CH Throttle Quad could be set up to have the detente "stops" be idle and moving through the detente would put the engines into reverse thrust. The CH Quad is good for the money, I had mine for 10 years with hardly a problem with it.
Paul

Part 65 certified Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic
Part 107 certified Remote Pilot in Command
Part 147 Instructor

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”