Question about several things

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
sirbruchie
Airman

Question about several things

Post by sirbruchie »

Hardware - I just rebuilt by PC and have decent specs so its not about core hardware...

1. I have an older version of Track IR and I use the ball cap clip. Is the new one better/worth the upgrade? - Really have my eye on VR but don't think the resolution is quite there yet for sim games...maybe I am wrong. So plan on keeping track IR for now.

2. Do 4K TVs make decent monitors? I have seen some decently priced ones and I am confident my video card can handle the resolution. Thought it might be a decent substitute with track IR vs going full VR.

Software - I currently run FSX and it look and runs well. I have a number of add-ons including my favorite A2A birds.

1. For those who run P3DV4 - What license do most of you use? Not trying to do anything illegal, but for "learning" there seems to be the two versions ($99 and $199). Seems the $199 is the best fit for "learning" if I am not in school.

2. Is it worth make the switch to P3DV4? I mostly fly A2A GA stuff or the A2A Connie (I know I would have to repurchase these). Are the visual enhancements and stability worth the switch?

3. Does anybody use any camera apps for customizing the view points in the cockpit (not interested in making movies)? If so, which ones?

I know the questions seem a bit scattered but thought this crowd was the best suited to answer them....please share your thoughts on any or all of them.

AmazonChitlin
Airman

Re: Question about several things

Post by AmazonChitlin »

1.) I have no idea...I'm waiting for VR myself!

2.) I just built a computer, and was looking into getting a 4k TV for use as a monitor. From what I've read, there is some delay in the display. I've also read that the resolution on TV's is better for distance viewing, and not up close like a monitor. For flightsim, it may not be too noticeable, but with other programs/games, it may be.

1a) I use P3D Academic. I can't justify the price of the professional for what it add's. I think for most users (even those learning), academic is sufficient.

2a) I think it's worth the switch, if only because it's 64bit. I was getting OOM's all the time with FSX, and even P3D before it went 64bit. Since they've went to it, I haven't had a single OOM, and I couldn't be happier!

3a) I can't provide any info on this...I don't use camera apps.

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

Hardware:

1) I have the v5 of Track-IR Pro; the hat clip was real annoying I think and the pro clip thing works real good for me. Not real interested in VR till teh resolution gets better and we dont have to wear a huge face-hugger.

2) IDK about 4K; I have a 2560x1440 Dell S2716DGR that works real nice so I'm happy already.

Software:

1) Im a student so the Academic is good for me. If I wasn't, I still think the pro one is worth it.

2) Yes! P3Dv4.2 is *so* nice! Plus all your Orbx sceneries will work without rebuying them, and lots of others too. Buying P3D versions of A2A planes is worth it I think; I had to do that with my Skylane. Also you'll need the P3Dv4 version of Active Sky if you use that.

3) I like ChasePlane a lot, its easy to set up and use and works real nice. What I did on mine was unmap the P3D look actions from the number pad and now use that for ChasePlane views. And it works real nice with Track-IR. Super happy with it. :)

crippy
Staff Sergeant

Post by crippy »

1. I also have trackir 5 with the pro clip. Clip is nice but make sure your headset will support / allow it. You really need a good section of thin area, for me it's where the headphones expand. I never had the hat clip, so I don't know about the difference. But the pro clip is 'active' meaning it has a wire to it, to power the IR transmitters. In theory this should be better than a passive sensor such as the reflector strips on the hat clip. Keep in mind this will add another wire to your head.

2. Not typically, the refresh rate (not talking about the 60Hz stuff here) is much lower (or used to be) than monitors. Monitors, you are looking at a 5ms response time for most standard 'decent' monitors.
I did a quick search, and it looks like the fastest response time I saw from 4K TV's from 2017+ was 12.5ms as you can see that is a huge jump and generally why TV's aren't recommended as monitors. That is the *fastest* some TV's range up to 24ms response time.
Back when I played First Person Shooters, 1ms response displays were / are the best.
Also what video card do you have? Unless it is a GTX1070+ (or AMD Equivalent) with the accompanying higher end processors to keep from bottle necking, you would likely see a performance hit moving up to 4K. Also at 4K things are TINY unless you scale stuff up,
There is a reason 4k monitors can/are more expensive than 4k tv's it is simply the technology in them. If you are looking for an upgrade from 1080p I would recommend looking into 1440p monitors. It's a good split between 1080 resolution and 4K, and is also becoming then 'norm' for most PC enthusiasts.

Software

1. I bought the academic $69 version long ago due to the fact I am in college. However I graduate in May and I have no intentions of burning over $1,000 just to upgrade my sim and all the addons to be in compliance with the EULA. This isn't illegal since the EULA has no specific outline (last I checked) of what to do if you "grow out" of the academic version. The $199 version is what everyone who is not currently in an educational system is supposed to purchase. You will also have to pay a premium for each addon for the "professional version" In most cases $30+ for each addon, from the Academic version to the "professional" version.
In my **Opinion** it is rather outlandish to charge $130 to literally remove a watermark from the screen. Also, I have yet to see the Prepard3D police show up and throw you in jail for buying one vs the other. However if you are making P3D videos / streaming and making profit from this, while using a improper version, you would be breaking the EULA and thus could face some legal consequences.

2. Depends, do you like proper cockpit shadows? Do you fly into heavy scenery areas? Do you have a gazillion addons to load in memory?
P3Dv4 can crash just as much as FSX if you load a bunch on non-compatible addons in there. P3D just utilizes more system resources, such as more GPU power and the ability to use more than 2GB of ram. Generally I recommend P3Dv4 as FSX is only getting older, and some developers have ceased development for FSX.

3. I purchased Chase plane, but found it conflicted greatly with the default camera system. Also, it messes up every single view for every plane. Every new aircraft you have to go in and set up where the pilot sits, what views are here / there. I didn't like it since I could not utilize the default position the developer intended me to sit in. I was guessing as to where I was supposed to sit. In my **opinion** it was not worth $40. You can actually customize the cameras already in P3Dv4, I have utilized this for adding different views to the stock camera system, especially for the C172 / C182 to be able to look out the side windows at the wing. It's fairly easy, I had a post on it somewhere some day I may make a tutorial.
Also Chase Plane messes up the files in TrackIR. If you un-install Chase Plane, TrackIR will no longer work with P3D until it gets a re-install. I didn't like that either how it messed with another applications flies. Basically it would delete TrackIR from starting with P3D, and only start with Chase Plane. Didn't like that, programs really should not be messing with other independent programs / files on a users system, unless they have a sound clean un-install system.

Hope it helps! And yes, I am grumpy-hungry and stuck where I can't get food at the moment! lol
Image Image Image
3D Lights Redux | Accu-Feel v2 | J-3 Cub | P-51C | T-6 Texan | B17 | L049 | Cherokee 180 | Comanche 250 | 172R Skyhawk | 182T Skylane

sirbruchie
Airman

Post by sirbruchie »

Thank you all, very helpful.

Regarding the 4K TV...noted I will stay way form that. I think I will keep my 24" 1080P for now.

Regarding Track IR 5...I will do some reading/research. Main problem I have is it gets thrown "out of wack" or gets jumpy often if the camera gets cofused.

Regarding P3DV4...I like what I am hearing, but I am puzzled about the comment of add on price differences for Pro Academic. Did I understand correctly that some add ons have a different price for PRO vs Academic? The addons I use are: ORBIX scenery (which I understand will work fine), Active Sky w/cloud art (cloud art should work without an upgrade), A2A birds...that is about it. Normally don't see OOMs in FSX. My kids are in school so I suppose I could justify it that way. I have no intention of video or live streaming.

Buffy Foster

Post by Buffy Foster »

Track-IR getting jumpy or confused is prolly some light source or something really reflective (even small) behind you. I put a blanket over the window behind me and made sure even the edges by the wall were covered cuz even brigth spots there would make it go wonky. Now it's just fine and no spazzing. \o/

The A2A planes are the only add-on things I saw that have Academic vs Pro versions. IDK what the difference is or what.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”