Suggestion for sound immersion...

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
stephan.cote.1
Staff Sergeant

Suggestion for sound immersion...

Post by stephan.cote.1 »

Hey guys! I was flying with a friend in his c185 last week and it hit me... when we turn on avionics and wear our headset.. there was a persistent light electronic whine that we could hear when no one was on talking on the intercom or the radios... think this could be implemented when we put our headset in the A2A birds? Maybe as a shift3 option???

What do you think?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Re: Suggestion for sound immersion...

Post by Adam_NZ »

stephan.cote.1 wrote:Hey guys! I was flying with a friend in his c185 last week and it hit me... when we turn on avionics and wear our headset.. there was a persistent light electronic whine that we could hear when no one was on talking on the intercom or the radios... think this could be implemented when we put our headset in the A2A birds? Maybe as a shift3 option???
You mean a "Tinnitus Toggle"? :lol: :mrgreen: 8) :shock:

I've always thought that *all* comms in FSX/P3D (ATC, the lot) should have a small bit of background interference in it. It's too sterile by half.

Adam.
--
Image--Image

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Possibly with the ability to turn it down or off completely. I find the whine annoying and would not really want to hear it at home as well.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

That whine is a characteristic of that airplane. It's not something you see in all airplanes. Sometimes it's a pulse whenever the strobes go off, sometimes it's a "wave" as the beacon flashes, sometimes it's a popping as the magnetos fire. In all cases, it's due to poor shielding of the intercom system. Trying to recreate that is nearly impossible, especially as it differs from airplane to airplane as they age. Even two Cessna 172s that rolled off the line one after the other will have different background noises on their intercom as they get older and the shielding begins to degrade. But brand new, at most you'll hear a slight "hiss" in the background. Most bigger airplanes I've flown on and been able to have a headset on, you couldn't hear anything, and if they had a Noise Cancelling headset, it was even more "dead".

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Electronic whines in airplanes are almost as unique from airplane to airplane. Some planes are dead quiet, some have some minor noise, and others have loud annoying sounds. All of the airplanes we've tested for Accu-Sim have been very quiet, so we had no need to simulate this. But we've thought about it, but if we did, we would certainly not want to force anyone to listen to this stuff because it is truly very annoying when it gets bad. But then again, that is part of the entire experience.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

CAPFlyer wrote:That whine is a characteristic of that airplane. It's not something you see in all airplanes. Sometimes it's a pulse whenever the strobes go off, sometimes it's a "wave" as the beacon flashes, sometimes it's a popping as the magnetos fire. In all cases, it's due to poor shielding of the intercom system. Trying to recreate that is nearly impossible, especially as it differs from airplane to airplane as they age. Even two Cessna 172s that rolled off the line one after the other will have different background noises on their intercom as they get older and the shielding begins to degrade. But brand new, at most you'll hear a slight "hiss" in the background. Most bigger airplanes I've flown on and been able to have a headset on, you couldn't hear anything, and if they had a Noise Cancelling headset, it was even more "dead".
Yes, as you say it is highly plane specific. I've flown planes where the radios were as clear as crystal (Collins mostly) and planes that had "noise" so bad I wanted to turn the radios off (but couldn't of course :-)
For the sim, a lot of simmers will raise the engine volume to get the immersion factor up a bit. Then they need to slide the Pilot/ ATC volume up a bit to counter the increase in engine noise. That can start a viscous circle of sound "adjustment that can become "uncomfortable". I'm not even sure where or how an option for an avionics "hiss" or "static" would fit into this complex equation.
Personally I can just see our design team's faces when we ask them to deal with avionics shielding and grounding on a plane to plane basis.
:-))))))))))))
DH
DH

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: Personally I can just see our design team's faces when we ask them to deal with avionics shielding and grounding on a plane to plane basis.
Agreed. However - I see an opportunity for an *external* application that runs (globally) in the background - injecting sound only into the radio channels. The user could set the volume (or even type of hiss) on a per-aircraft basis.

Adam.
--
Image--Image

scaber
Airman First Class

Post by scaber »

Adam_NZ wrote:
stephan.cote.1 wrote:Hey guys! I was flying with a friend in his c185 last week and it hit me... when we turn on avionics and wear our headset.. there was a persistent light electronic whine that we could hear when no one was on talking on the intercom or the radios... think this could be implemented when we put our headset in the A2A birds? Maybe as a shift3 option???
You mean a "Tinnitus Toggle"? :lol: :mrgreen: 8) :shock:

I've always thought that *all* comms in FSX/P3D (ATC, the lot) should have a small bit of background interference in it. It's too sterile by half.

Adam.

Sounds good but those of us with some hearing deficiencies won't be too pleased by anything that makes it more difficult to understand!!

Mithras
Airman First Class

Post by Mithras »

The Flight 1 Britten Norman Islander has a wonderful/horrible avionics whine which is just like the persistant whine I hear in You Tube videoes.

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Mithras wrote:The Flight 1 Britten Norman Islander has a wonderful/horrible avionics whine which is just like the persistant whine I hear in You Tube videoes.
I've heard that in RL, Islander pilots go prematurely deaf - though I suspect from engine noise, not instrument whine!

Adam.
--
Image--Image

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Adding it as part of accusim to tell you it's time to fix the coms would be cool.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Personally I find it very annoying in RL and would not like to hear it in the sim at all. If it is ever implemented a disabling method for it would be number one on my list.

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

I've always considered this whine a fault. It should not be there in annoying amounts, albeit it may be difficult and impractical to get rid of it as well.

If I had to choose, I'd prefer adding the fan sounds many avionic setups have, where applicable. :)

-Esa

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

AKar wrote:I've always considered this whine a fault. It should not be there in annoying amounts, albeit it may be difficult and impractical to get rid of it as well.

If I had to choose, I'd prefer adding the fan sounds many avionic setups have, where applicable. :)

-Esa
I remember when I was advising RealAir. The only fault I could find with their programming was with their sound file for the fuel pumps. It is loud beyond anything even close to reality. In fact in their Duke B60 it is so loud and annoying I actually bypass the pumps once I have the engines running.
DH

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
AKar wrote:I've always considered this whine a fault. It should not be there in annoying amounts, albeit it may be difficult and impractical to get rid of it as well.

-Esa
I remember when I was advising RealAir. The only fault I could find with their programming was with their sound file for the fuel pumps. It is loud beyond anything even close to reality. In fact in their Duke B60 it is so loud and annoying I actually bypass the pumps once I have the engines running.
DH
Yea, these sounds of the pumps and fans and all are somewhat especially difficult to get right in the sim...In many Cessnas for instance, where the booster is under the RH pilot's feet, the sound is quite definite when the pump is running with engine off but directly not really audible with the engine running (albeit you often do note the switching). These would need to be basically HDR-programmed to sound right, to make them audible when appropriate and not when otherwise. A problem akin to the "fan buzz" with big planes, which only FSL has gotten right to my knowledge so far.

Even in planes like 737, with distinctly audible fuel pumps, they generally render inaudible for the most of the flight.

Edit: And saying the whine was a fault, this would be my RL standpoint on the issue, not in the FSX/P3D where I have...no experience of it. :)

-Esa

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”