Wig-Wag Taxi/Landing Lights ?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Anyone who has stood on a GA ramp for any length of time knows the aircraft that really catch your attention when landing have wig-wag lights... They seem to be getting more common and hey add considerable visual interest... Just curious - are wig-wag taxi/landing lights possible in flight sim ? Figured if anyone knows - you guys would... I've never seen them done before... Would love to see something like that included in some future A2A GA release - if possible...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speedy70
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Wig-Wag Taxi/Landing Lights ?

Post by speedy70 »

I think you may be talking about strobe lights not flashing landing lights.

You would not want your landing lights to flash as you are using them to illuminate the runway you are landing on.

Strobe lights are indeed already available in flightsim.

Wig Wags are flashing runway signs showing holding points prior to runway access.Radio clearance must be obtained at these holding points.

Cheers Chris

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

There are certainly these 'pulsing' flashing landing lights around, I've read they're for VFR airfield see-me or something... Generally I like the idea, but I'd think it should have a separate "VFR switch". If I designed them without one, I'd wire them to the landing light DIM setting so that they would pulse from wing to wing when you don't actually need the forward light and shine full when you actually need that.

-Esa

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for responding - yeah - they're not strobes - most often they're the aircraft that have landing/taxi lights in the ends of both wings... They actually alternate and give the appearance of movement - on and off like a railroad crossing gate lights - which brings more notice to them - in daylight and night ops... I don't think the flashing bothers anyone unless you're an epileptic - which may disqualify your medical... One other relatively new product that allows this is LED lighting... Prior to LED's you were concerned about current draw on your electric system and heat - but the LED's draw is minuscule compared to incandescent - so you can have them all on and leave them on... I would think if they have two taxi lights - they would wig-wag them and leave the landing light on steady...

Regards,
Scott

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Thanks Esa... Yep - I've seen quite a few setup in this configuration - especially in the light twin models... Sometimes they use HID's for landing lights and LED's for taxi - looks like a freak'n 737 when landing at night... Pretty cool stuff...

Regards,
Scott

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Not sure about options for flight sim, but they sure are great. They make aircraft much easier to spot in the pattern.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

Pulse lights (their "official" term) are a common item in both GA and commercial aviation. Southwest Airlines is well known for having Pulse lights on all of their aircraft. In all of the installations I've seen, there is a separate "Pulse Light" switch added to the panel. Additionally, some installations have an override that causes the lights to return to a steady state and operate as normal landing and/or taxi lights on short final. On the 737 for example, I believe they deactivate when Flaps 30 is selected. Civil Air Patrol has installed Pulse Lights on most of its fleet, although I don't believe there's an override and it's a landing checklist item to be turned off at night or in low visibility. During the day, it's permissible to leave them operating.

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

I remember flying a 172 that had pulse light option. The light would alternate between the Taxi and Landing lights housed in the Port wing. It isn't used at night on short final, or when you need an airport surface illuminated. However all other times the Landing/Taxi lights are used, they are being used for anti collision purposes. The pulse light makes your aircraft much easier to spot for controllers and other pilots.

Think of it like turning on your car's Hazard lights when driving visibility is really poor, you want to make your car as visible as possible. Same with using a pulse landing light such as when transitioning through congested airspace...you want everyone to see you. You might not think it makes much difference during the daytime, but every little bit helps. If I am transitioning Class B or C Airspace, my taxi and/or landing light is ON...regardless if pulse equipped, even if it only makes a little bit of difference. That little bit of seeing my landing light might be that split second of time another pilot needs to change course.

I remember being over Tucson's Class C airspace many years go, it was mid morning, hazy and even tho I was on flight following with TUS approach, there were also F-16s in the vicinity, so I was quite cautious. I recall a few months prior there had been a midair between some GA and an F-16....so yeah, you definitely want maximum visibility with the lights when conditions warrant it.

The only FS plane that I am aware of equipped with a 'Wag' feature is the Baytower RV-7. It would certainly be a nifty feature for Accusim airplanes, but I am sure there is a coding/FPS 'price' for it, which may be too high if other things must be sacrificed, kind of like 'Rain on the Windshield' animations.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

So the question is will we see them in fsx?
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

chadryan
Senior Airman

Post by chadryan »

The only time I've seen them in a sim is the Quest Kodiak for X-Plane. You can choose either steady landing lights or pulse

Tim-HH
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim-HH »

The Carenado TBM 850 and Seneca V have pulse lights.

Greetings
Tim
Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Heidi thinks I need me some of them pulse lights on my J-3.

Seeya
ATB

scottb613
Technical Sergeant

Post by scottb613 »

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the responses - ahh - so it has been done before - just not on any of the aircraft I've purchased...

Pulse Lights - got it...

Yep - Heidi likes to look cool...
:wink:

Regards,
Scott

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Sounds like a great update to the a2a 3d lights
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

dscott3984
Airman First Class

Post by dscott3984 »

Would be a nice option for the Cherokee. We have them on our Cherokee 180D. With the MetCoAir wing tips with landing lights built in with a MaxPulse switchable unit so you can choose anywhere from 1 of them on to fast alternating flashes and any combo in between. Makes the little Cherokee look like an airliner on approach.

EDIT: Here is the link for the controller. It appears MetCo does not make the LL wingtips anymore so I'm not sure who offers them now for the Cherokees.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... 37_stc.php

Maybe a good feature request for the A2A Cherokees Mx Shop to add these in.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”