190 Question

The most advanced WWII propellor-driven fighter
new reply
Panther_99FS
Staff Sergeant

190 Question

Post by Panther_99FS »

I thought both the long-nose and radial engine model had fixed/castor tailwheels - Am i incorrect in this :?:

heloguy
Senior Airman

Post by heloguy »

If you mean that they didn't retract, then no. ;) All models of FW-190 had semi-retractable tail-wheels. 109's however, went through a period from F-0 to G-4 where they were semi-retractable, then fixed from G-6 to G-14 where they were fixed. The 109 K was the only 109 I know of that had a fully retractable tail wheel. If that's not what you meant, then I guess I just wasted a bunch of wind. :D

Panther_99FS
Staff Sergeant

Post by Panther_99FS »

LoL thanks for the answer - I meant that castored as in non-steerable.... :D

heloguy
Senior Airman

Post by heloguy »

Oh, okay. :) Then yeah, they were castor wheels, but they weren't fixed. They were lockable in the straight position for take off, but when unlocked, they spun freely. The force of the prop wash over the rudder turned the aircraft, not the actual input of the rudder pedals to a steerable wheel.

Panther_99FS
Staff Sergeant

Post by Panther_99FS »

heloguy wrote:Oh, okay. :) Then yeah, they were castor wheels, but they weren't fixed. They were lockable in the straight position for take off, but when unlocked, they spun freely. The force of the prop wash over the rudder turned the aircraft, not the actual input of the rudder pedals to a steerable wheel.
Coger ropy that....

al tom
Airman

Post by al tom »

They were lockable in the straight position for take off, but when unlocked, they spun freely. The force of the prop wash over the rudder turned the aircraft, not the actual input of the rudder pedals to a steerable wheel.[/quote]

:!: Additional
At low speed and without the force from the prop, the left and right wheel brakes where used for steering.

al tom

Panther_99FS
Staff Sergeant

Post by Panther_99FS »

al tom wrote: :!: Additional
At low speed and without the force from the prop, the left and right wheel brakes where used for steering.

al tom
Right: The aircraft seems a bit too steerable at low speeds WITHOUT using differential braking....

heloguy
Senior Airman

Post by heloguy »

I'll attest to that too. Never thought of it before. ;)

new reply

Return to “Focke Wulf "Long Nose"”