A2A Development Update 4/8/18

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: A2A Development Update 4/8/18

Post by DHenriques_ »

[quote="AKar"]I also understand that variation of air density as a function of temperature is effectively not modeled in FSX/P3D platform. Which I find curious, but haven't done any tests to check it out.

-Esa[/quote

If I remember right from the Beta, we discussed density altitude at the time. I think what the Aces team decided on was a simple linear effect based on elevation and tied to a mixture ratio that required you to lean based on your takeoff altitude to obtain max power. Simple but effective. I never actually got around to asking them exactly what they did as we went on to other issues.
I believe that the power required/power available/mixture combo was the only thing dealt with for FSX. Turn radius I believe was not addressed as I recall.
DH

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Yeah, the aerodynamic effects of decreasing ρ with increasing temperature is the part I'm thinking of. Obviously, there at least is some effect by the altitude on the engine, but not sure if any on the wing so to say.
Caldemeyn wrote:It is modelled i believe, there were problems in the past with some weather engines that injected wrong temps at altitude and guys flying tubes didn't get expected performance out of the engines.
Tubeliner creators who get their stuff right model their engine parameters so that the temperature affects the thrust output among all. Not sure there is much effect on aerodynamic performance of the airframe on most of them, if they rely on FSX/P3D core FDE. Why temperature affects the wing and flight control as well results directly from the fact that air's density is dependent on both temperature and pressure. At low Mach numbers, stuff mostly happens proportionally to the classic equation of dynamic pressure, ½ρv², where the ρ (density) is a variable dependent on temperature.

-Esa

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
LZ-WIL wrote:
Paughco wrote:Here's an interesting FAA video with a V-Tail Bonanza in a starring role: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihee35QrWtk.

Seeya
ATB
"With this baby we can go wherever we like... " :mrgreen: oldie but goldie flick by FAA. Three years ago, we did not even suspect that we could see a V35 from A2A. ;)
Density Altitude a short FAA flick

Cheerz,
Will
It has always amazed me as a flight instructor, the seeming lack of real interest shown by the average pilot concerning density altitude. This is especially prevalent among Private Pilots who fly exclusively on the east coast of the United States.
Out west not so much.
In our airshow community the subject of density altitude is CRITICAL as it affects TAS and TURN RADIUS. In fact, we treat the issue as important enough to warrant direct attention to it before we allow display pilots to perform at show sites where density altitude can be an issue.
Dudley Henriques
I was fortunate to do my training in Prescott, AZ, where they beat into our heads the importance of density altitude. Our field elevation was ~5000', so the summer density altitudes would commonly reach 8-9K'. This was such a great teacher, it forced the student to respect the limitations of the aircraft, along with the associated flight planning, as well as being very mindful of the environment in which they were flying. That environment encouraged students the learn value of setting personal minimums, be it weather conditions, performance, MDAs..etc

I remember trying to calculate the single engine service ceiling on the Seminole during the summer, which was already low...the numbers being usually lower than the surrounding elevations....proving the axiom....that extra engine will get you to the scene of the crash :lol:

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

I was fortunate to do my training in Prescott, AZ, where they beat into our heads the importance of density altitude. Our field elevation was ~5000', so the summer density altitudes would commonly reach 8-9K'. This was such a great teacher, it forced the student to respect the limitations of the aircraft, along with the associated flight planning, as well as being very mindful of the environment in which they were flying. That environment encouraged students the learn value of setting personal minimums, be it weather conditions, performance, MDAs..etc

I remember trying to calculate the single engine service ceiling on the Seminole during the summer, which was already low...the numbers being usually lower than the surrounding elevations....proving the axiom....that extra engine will get you to the scene of the crash :lol:

Cheers
TJ
One simple thing pilots can do is find a copy of a Koch Chart, cut it out and keep it in their flight kit, pocket, or aircraft if they own the airplane.
Comes in handy on occasion !
DH

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

jeepinforfun wrote:I think they should have a pilot wearing a white lab coat and stethoscope wrapped over his neck. :lol:
Yes, with an option for a broken neck and surprised look on the face :)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

SWood7
Airman

Post by SWood7 »

Really looking forward to this! I’m fortunate to have a little bit of time in a V Tail and I loved every minute of it. I told my wife that someday we need to trade in the Cherokee (which I love, too) and buy an A36. She’s not convinced, but I sure am! Maybe this will help her see the light. :D
Sean Wood

b3a
Airman First Class

Post by b3a »

SWood7 wrote:Really looking forward to this! I’m fortunate to have a little bit of time in a V Tail and I loved every minute of it. I told my wife that someday we need to trade in the Cherokee (which I love, too) and buy an A36. She’s not convinced, but I sure am! Maybe this will help her see the light. :D

The best way to allow her to see the bonanza light is to just go out and trade it in.... or she could just kill you then and I suppose you would just see the light then.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I'd like to find a copy of "Flying the Beech Bonanza" by John Eckalbar. According to the description on Amazon: "John Eckalbar has packed Flying the Beech Bonanza with more than twenty chapters of information you will find from no other source. *How much help are flaps in getting over a 50-foot obstacle? *Does it really pay to cruise climb in a Bonanza? *What airspeed and rpm yield emergency maximum range? *Does it make sense to run lean of peak? *What is the optimum altitude for a trip of 200 or 600 miles? *How should you adjust your turbulent air penetration speed for light weights? *How do the performance, handling, and loading characteristics of the four Bonanzas vary? *How can two tail members do the work of three?"

Seeya
ATB

Loma
Airman Basic

Post by Loma »

I've just played a little bit with the Garmin G500/600 trainer. A2A, please include it as an option if it comes out at the right time :)

b3a
Airman First Class

Post by b3a »

Paughco wrote:I'd like to find a copy of "Flying the Beech Bonanza" by John Eckalbar. According to the description on Amazon: "John Eckalbar has packed Flying the Beech Bonanza with more than twenty chapters of information you will find from no other source. *How much help are flaps in getting over a 50-foot obstacle? *Does it really pay to cruise climb in a Bonanza? *What airspeed and rpm yield emergency maximum range? *Does it make sense to run lean of peak? *What is the optimum altitude for a trip of 200 or 600 miles? *How should you adjust your turbulent air penetration speed for light weights? *How do the performance, handling, and loading characteristics of the four Bonanzas vary? *How can two tail members do the work of three?"

Seeya
ATB
Those kind of books are amazing, found one for the bird that I fly at work and its amazing the kind of info and tricks of the trade you can learn from someone who has thousands of house in a specific airplane make and model.

chadryan
Senior Airman

Post by chadryan »

Anyone else desperate to see how A2A have modelled the instrument panel of the Bonanza?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fragmentum
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fragmentum »

chadryan wrote:Anyone else desperate to see how A2A have modelled the instrument panel of the Bonanza?
Am, well, noth really as it will be mostly if not exactly like the original plane... Just google 'Beechcraft Bonanza V35B' and you'll see all the instrument panels you can handle!
i5-2600K SB, 8GB Mushkin Redline, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, GTX 560 2GB, Saitek X52. Etch-A-Sketch hard wired to Speak-N-Spell backup system. Everything maxed and I see it ALL!

Carlos2297
Airman

Post by Carlos2297 »

Fragmentum wrote:
chadryan wrote:Anyone else desperate to see how A2A have modelled the instrument panel of the Bonanza?
Am, well, noth really as it will be mostly if not exactly like the original plane... Just google 'Beechcraft Bonanza V35B' and you'll see all the instrument panels you can handle!
Is it confirmed that the version we're getting is a V35B?
Accu-Sim aircraft: C172 Trainer, C182 Skylane, Piper Cherokee 180, Piper Comanche 250 , T-6 "Texan", Bonanza.

Ryzen 5800x, 32gb 3200mhz ram, rtx3080, W11

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Carlos2297 wrote: Is it confirmed that the version we're getting is a V35B?
Not to my knowledge. But N40G which is the plane modeled in the video is a V35B. So it’s not unlikely that it’ll be a V35
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

SJDobby
Airman

Post by SJDobby »

Being the proud owner of nine A2A aircraft (and not nearly enough spare time to fly any of them nearly as often as I'd like) I am looking forward to "Yet Another GA plane" from A2A, especially when - by owning/operating one themselves [or at least having regular access to one] - we know that the attention to detail will be spot-on.

My own real-life experience of GA was a couple of trial flights in the late 80's / early 90's, my main interest being gliding at the time (40 hours before spare time at weekends and financial pressure of real life became an issue).

These days, limited by time and money to flying the virtual skies, I look forward to sitting inside a GA plane (or perhaps a Spitfire or B-17 if I'm feeling really greedy) on a small airfield in Southern England, live weather streaming to FSX via Active Sky, doing my pre-flights, firing up the engine and immersing myself into the PC-based small-plane realism that A2A provides.

Whereas (arguably) "every Carenado feels much like every other Carenado", with each A2A aircraft - as in the real-world - the differences (subtle and otherwise) between different planes, different weight & balance loadings, different makes of engine, different levels of wear and tear are something to experience and explore, even if superficially the aircraft are very similar in form.

So one thing I can be sure of is that as and when I sit myself into the cabin of my new Bonanza, I won't be thinking of it as "just another GA plane from A2A".
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”