IMPORTANT: Check your controller sensitivities

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Scott - A2A
A2A General

IMPORTANT: Check your controller sensitivities

Post by Scott - A2A »

There is a pretty big thread going on at AVSIM (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/470166-a2a ... anche-250/), about our recent Accu-Sim Comanche 250 release, that has turned into a discussion on controller sensitivities. The good news is, people have almost universally discovered their flying is better with their controller sensitivities all hard RIGHT.

We discovered and posted in this thread, that these sliders aren't really "sensitivity" but a delay. The more left the sensitivity, the larger the delay, and the harder an airplane is to control, as you are forever behind the aircraft. Usually, this results in a lot of UP and DOWN behavior on flare, as you are constantly chasing the plane (like a dog chasing it's tail).

Here is a short video we made, demonstrating what this slider does. Make sure, in SETTINGS, all of your controller sensitivities are FULL RIGHT, and VERY SMALL null zones, if any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL5gsRg2Xo4

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: IMPORTANT: FSX Users - Check your controller sensitiviti

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

What's your view on the null zones, Scott? Default good?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

All my null zones are on FULL LEFT, min. If you then find you need a null zone for a controller, slowly dial it in until it's just right for you.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

ouha.. Thanks Scott for that posting! And I was wondering all the time why my aierons and elevator were so delayed, no matter what plane or developer :D

Greets,
Marc

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

I have all controls set to maximum sensitivity. With my newer flight stick, I can keep the nulls set at minimum.

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

I've known this for quite a while. Unfortunately, my controller's a cheap joystick so I have to maintain a rather huge null zone on certain axes.

As for sensitivity, I keep all my sensitivities one tick short of maximum...This gives almost instantaneous response but is just enough to filter out the jittering noise in my crappy joystick.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

EnDSchultz wrote:As for sensitivity, I keep all my sensitivities one tick short of maximum...This gives almost instantaneous response but is just enough to filter out the jittering noise in my crappy joystick.
Good point, one notch from the right could act as a noise controller. BTW, get a good controller for heaven's sake. They should last a very very long time.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

G-BJPS
Master Sergeant

Post by G-BJPS »

Thanks Scott :) just made a beautiful landing in '29P' an absolute Greaser if I may say so myself 8) about -1 FPM with a tiny flicker of Stall light.

John.

Edit: I use the Saitek pro flight yoke and throttle quadrant.
Cub. Cherokee. C182. Comanche 250. Spitfire. T-6. B-17. B377. Connie

EnDSchultz
Technical Sergeant

Post by EnDSchultz »

Scott - A2A wrote:
EnDSchultz wrote:As for sensitivity, I keep all my sensitivities one tick short of maximum...This gives almost instantaneous response but is just enough to filter out the jittering noise in my crappy joystick.
BTW, get a good controller for heaven's sake. They should last a very very long time.

Scott.
I keep telling myself that, but I'm a college student majoring in professional piloting (which is not cheap in the slightest) and I feel terrible whenever I spend money on anything else...buying the Comanche stretched my conscience as far as it will go. :lol:

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Sorry to say, but reading this thread I feel somewhat embarrassed and shocked that after more than 10 years of unchanged controller behaviour (FS9 and FSX are the same, I don't remember previous versions) people are still not aware of the importance of this controller setting. Funny enough people make spectacular screenshots of their planes from ever possible and impossible angle but obvioulsy never take the time to properly LOOK at their plane ! Anyway it confirms an old wisdom that in most of all complaints the REAL problem is sitting some 30 inches in front of the screen.... :D :D
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

ebo
Master Sergeant

Post by ebo »

@Oscar, I am one of those culprits ;)

I must admit these settings where always a mystery to me and this is the first time I see a thread on this, explaining how they properly should be set. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

@Scot, a BIG THANK YOU for enlightening me and others.
Regards
Eberhard Haberkorn

stevekirks
Senior Airman

Post by stevekirks »

I had no idea that the sensitivity slider actually behaved this way. I've had it full sensitive since the Cherokee, but I never took the time to understand what it really did. Thanks A2A Team!
Steve Kirks
KSGF
ImageImage

Kermit70
Airman

Post by Kermit70 »

I know this can be annoying, but I would like to know what is your opinion / advice on using FSUIPC4 to calibrate controllers.
I am usually quite happy with it when using other aircrafts, but with A2A I am just afraid to make more damage than good...
I am currently using C172 and Cherokee, but I have my eyes on the new Comanchee...

Please your thoughts, Scott?

Thanks!

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

I think this is why the old sensitivity_stick_mode fix worked, as it seemed to disconnect the slider from my experience. Since understanding that I can just slide it all the way to the right and drop my null zone I haven't been using that old tweak.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Kermit,

I only install software on my computer or flight simulator I absolutely need. So far, I've had no reason or need to use FSUIPC, so I can't really offer much advice on using it. All I can say is, you shouldn't need it for A2A aircraft.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”