"My Gal Sal" Blurry Textures Cured

Big, Powerful, and Heavy
new reply
FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

"My Gal Sal" Blurry Textures Cured

Post by FAC257 »

Okay guys I found the problem and a cure.

I am putting together the findings right now and will post it in a couple of munutes.

I'm excited that now have all working P-47s and couldn't wait so I wanted to post a pre-heads up.

Back in a few. :D

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

As it turns out it is the new model file at the center of the issue. I was pretty sure of that a few days ago but had to test out this latest theory first.

First off to note is that all of the pics for this report were snapped within a few moments of each other from a saved flight with all the texure files ready to go including the test textures. No graphics settings were changed between shots. Both the FS9 graphics and my graphics card are on full tilt.
Everything in the shots is the 1.1 P-47 upgrade. There was no need to use
a 1.0 test set because the issue only shows up with the 1.1 upgrade.

See a pattern in this first set of shots?

And you thought I was nuts when I said "Just don't fly the green ones". :)

That's right all the green ones, or should I say none of the silver ones are broke. If it's not silver it's blurry.

Now there is one exception to this rule that I've found so far. I'm not sure if Brett Thomas nailed it by accident or design but "Smoocher" works.

Now at this time it definitly appeared that the new model had problems with green planes in every case except one. What I started doing with the texture of one of the broken aircraft was to start changing the color balance to reduce the green. No matter how much of the color spectrum I moved away from green it still stayed broke.

Next step was to take all the color out and go black and white.

Still broke and blurry. But with no color and still thinking something to do with green was still an issue the only thing I could think of between this last greyscale texture and the finicky model was the alpha channel.

I got lucky on the very first try. Using DXTbmp I resaved the files but tried using a green alpha channel instead of whatever alpha channel they came with.

Here's the results of using a new green alpha channel on three of the broken aircraft from above.

Problem solved! :D

I still have a few things to look into and verify but I think you get the idea.

There is also the possible issue that this is not isolated to just the P-47D-22. As was noted in the earlier thread this does happen also to the P-47D-25 MXE to an extremely minor degree. As it just so happened I picked the other P-47D-25 MVA for today's flights and put about 9 hours in her. I'm pretty sure she suffers the same fate also to a very minor degree. The 22s though are the only ones that have the problem that shows up so dramatically.

My knowledge of how textures get attached to models is at a dead and at this point. As a totally un-educated guess I'm wondering if a change to the base model color of the new 1.1 model could have inadvertantly caused 1.1 to interact with texture files differently than 1.0 ?????

As I see it at this point there are three avenues to explore:
1. Fix the model file so that it doesn't react this way which may or may not be possible. If it was a side effect of giving us the removable rocket tubes that could be tricky.

2. Painters need to be aware of this issue in future repaints and maybe revamp current textures so that they are 1.1 compatible???

3.The last but not least easiest thing for now.....get a copy of DXTbmp.
It's free, fast and realitivly easy to do the fix yourself.

Sorry to ramble on for two whole threads about this but it seemed like an important finding.

Okay guys can I go home now? :D

Epsillon
Senior Airman

Post by Epsillon »

Thanks for your investigations Fac,i will apply your method and see if it works.
Some repaints on your post are my job but i was suspecting a video driver problem.

I'll give you the result of my tries.

Thanks again.

Stephan

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Good Morning Epsillon

I did my best in trying to find out it was a driver and hardware setting problem. Unfortunantlt all the test results kept pointing back to the new model file as being the cause.

God luck and looking forward to see how you make out.

FAC

Epsillon
Senior Airman

Post by Epsillon »

IT WORKS !

Thanks a lot for this great fix...

I will soon upload a fix for all my repaints and will credit you for this work.

Regards

Stephan

new reply

Return to “Republic P47 "Thunderbolt"”