Anybody noticed this with "My Gal Sal".

Big, Powerful, and Heavy
FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Spilot69
Hey wingy you may have hit on something with the swap file item.

dbr_p
You just described exactly what I do with my swap file and why I do it. I don't let Windows handle the swap file. I run a permenant 3GB swap file on the second hard drive. When my HDs were on the same IDE channel this never seemed to make any sense to use two drives but when I switched to SATA drives it didn't seem to make sense not to. The one thing I also do in addition to what you described is to turn off the swap file once in a while before I defrag as part of my regular house keeping routine not just a one time thing.

What you two may have reminded me of is that I might not have turned my swap file back on after a recent defrag. That would be too cool if that was the reason for blurries.

I'm locking up things at work right now and heading home to check that out. Now if I could only find my car keys. :)

Thanks for the input guys!

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Drive safely and remember to obey all traffic laws!! :lol:
Snuffy

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Well after a few adjustments I think I've got MGS working now.

:D

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

I hope she can make it outta that forrest of blue tails!

Congrats.
Snuffy

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

I was only kidding with everything in the pic blurry but the MGS . Okay I'm bad and will go hide now. :D

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

It still makes my eyes hurt to look at that last pic. Ouch! :)

Now back to reality.

I was really hoping to come home to find my swap file was turned off but it wasn't. The talk about the swap file made me try a few different things with it's setup. No setting change I made to the swap file size, drive location or managment did anything.

The next thing I tried a little more intensly than I had done up to this time is to jack the video card AA & AF settings to different settings including Application Controlled. Still no luck.

I've now also tried both copies of my P-47 main file and two different DLs of the 1.1 upgrade in different combos. No go there either.

What I have been zeroing in on is the file at the center of the goofiness.
Everything I've tried with negative results all has one common element that I can put my finger on. That doesn't mean to say it's not a problem caused by this file interacting with something system specifc on my end but it's proven out 100% of the time now to be involved.

The file is the model file "p47d22.mdl 11/13/2005 4:00PM".

I did a dual P47 install. One using the stock P-47 with no 1.1 upgrade. The second was the stock P-47 with the 1.1 upgrade. Then I set them both up as AI aircraft and started playing with settings and such.

This is what they look like side by side under the exact same settings no matter what I do. Both of these are on AI. The one in the front is 1.1 the one in the back is 1.0

Now very easily I can fix the one in the front by taking the older model file and sticking in the 1.1 install. It fixes the problem 100% of the time.

By the same token I can break the 1.0 aircraft in the back by taking the 1.1 model file and putting it in that install. It causes the problem 100% of the time.

:?:

K.M.
A2A Major

Post by K.M. »

FAC257,

Razorback models have no changes with textures during update 1.1 but model was change to make possible rocket tubes visibility turn off. Updete files not have textures at all and using texture from version 1.0.

My solution is turns off mipmaping in your graphic card settings ( I don't know it is possible with ATI because I use Nvidia card) and set in FS mipmap parametr for maximum. If it not help try a little drop down FS environment parametrs.

I have similar problem with complex textures with my old Nvidia but now it not happens. I remember that only way to remove this blurry texture was make zoom in and zoom out.

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Hello K.M

I've already put the mipmap idea through the grinder.

The tests I used:
Video card with full mipmapping + FS9 with full mipmapping
Video card with mipmapping shut down + FS9 with mipmapping shutdown
Video card with full mipmapping + FS9 with mipmapping shut down
Video card with mipmapping shut down + FS9 with full mipmapping

None of this settings make the slightest bit of difference in the test results.

One of the earliest things I tried to isolate were the textures themselves. It appeared at first glance that the 1.0 and 1.1 textures were identical. Still I don't like to rule out a variable like that until I have more proof they aren't part of the situation. So far the textures seem to be in the clear. One piece of evidence that supports that is that I can use both the 1.0 and 1.1 textures with the 1.0 model file and they both work perfectly.
When I use either set of textures with the 1.1 model file they both don't work. This happens 100% of the time in the tests. One thing I still can't rule out is in how the two texture sets bind with the 1.0 model file differently than the 1.1 model file. This is an area of FS9 that I don't understand so I'm blind in that direction.

The test I've already run and a few I have in mind for today are really in an effort to try to prove to myself that the software is okay and it's a hardware or driver issue. I would love to find out it's nothing more than a simple setting somewhere on my system. Unfortunantly the more tests I run and the more I see it's leaning more and more the opposite direction. So far by all results it appears that the 1.1 model file is at the heart of the matter.

Thanks!

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Well the texture files are both on and off the hook at the same time. I needed another guinea pig and Epsillon's beautiful "In The Mood" was perfect for the job.

Again both aircraft are on AI with the 1.1 model in the front and the 1.0 model in the back. Any and all software and grapihics settings so far yield the exact same effect.

Here's a thought... The "Zombie" looks great and doesn't suffer from this same affliction at all in the new model. Maybe the new model 1.1 doesn't get along with green ???? :)

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Sorry FAC257 ... sucks to be you I guess. :(

I don't know what more to do to help.
Snuffy

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Hey Snuffy

It's not a bad thing at all. Just one of those things that happens once in a while when you mix Windows, flight sims and three bejillion different computer and driver combos. I'm actually having a bit of fun trying to figure it out.

I love this P-47 and I'm actually having a hard time picking between it and my B-29 when I go up for my casual flights. What a beast and I love the sound of the engine in outside views once it's settled into that cruise
rumble. I really like both the P-51 and FW-190 also but the P-47 has some quality to it that is really unique to fly.

The P-47 is wonderful. Just don't fly a green one. :D

new reply

Return to “Republic P47 "Thunderbolt"”