P-47 Ground Test Nose Tiping Issue

Big, Powerful, and Heavy
new reply
sparow
Airman

P-47 Ground Test Nose Tiping Issue

Post by sparow »

According original flight manual engine ground test (magnetos check) P47-D-25 and later versions. Engine throttle should be set to 2000 RPM (30 inches HG) . Parking brakes set , plane tips to its nose before reaching above values .Any fix for this ? Brgds

WND
Senior Airman

Post by WND »

What position is your elevator in when your trying to do your "runup"?

When you rdoing "runups", you want to face your aircraft into the wind and pull full back on your stick - another words you want your elevator in the full "up" position".

Once you've accomplished your "runup" and you power back down, you can relax the pressure on the stick!

Try that, let me know how it works. :)
Bill

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

Also, the manual we provided incorrectly states 2300 RPM, you are certain to nose up if you use that setting. If all else fails, we recommend using 1800 RPM for the runup if you really like to go through the procedures. The compromise here is replicating the enormous thrust available for taxiing (taxiing is done between 8-900 RPM) and not having so much thrust that it noses up. We chose to prioritize the taxi thrust, since that's probably a lot more important than the runup. To get the thrust low enough where the plane never noses up during runup would require about 1200-1300 RPM minimum for taxiing which is unrealistic. So this is yet another area of compromise in FS9.

AC
A2A First Lieutenant

Post by AC »

SD_Research wrote:Also, the manual we provided incorrectly states 2300 RPM, you are certain to nose up if you use that setting. If all else fails, we recommend using 1800 RPM for the runup if you really like to go through the procedures. The compromise here is replicating the enormous thrust available for taxiing (taxiing is done between 8-900 RPM) and not having so much thrust that it noses up. We chose to prioritize the taxi thrust, since that's probably a lot more important than the runup. To get the thrust low enough where the plane never noses up during runup would require about 1200-1300 RPM minimum for taxiing which is unrealistic. So this is yet another area of compromise in FS9.
With the R -3350 in the B29, with full high rpm setting, the throttle was run up til we got 2,000 rpm. This , at sea level gave ABOUT 30 ". If we got a mag drop of 100 or more when running on one mag, we ran it up to full power, (Turbo off) to "blow it out" and then rechecked the mags. If we still got a 100 mag drop we aborted and returned to the line.

We used that Full up elevator setting for power checks and mag checks on the T-6 and other tail draggers as well. With a nose gear plane there is no problem of nosing over.

I will make a mag check tomorrow, using the 30" setting.I too nosed over today following the checklist..... embarrasing! :(

... and annoying too, after running that check list up to that point instead of just "Kicking the tires and lighting the fires!"up to now! :wink:

Incidently I finally checked the gross weight for the Razorback and gave myself quarter flaps ... shortens the Take off roll somewhat more than somewhat! :roll:

I deliberately spun one(Power-off ) yesterday, It recovers by using standard recovery procedure , but does drop like a brick while doing so!.

Had to pull out of my dive so quickly I blacked out and came to in a zoom!. (with I assume, grass stains on my external tank.)...and other stains on my seatpack!! :oops:

Trooptrain.

sparow
Airman

Post by sparow »

Thank you Gents for your info .I beleive among other things problem is that FS2004 does not support prop. air flow component.
Indeed during high RPM ground run elevator position does not make any changes in plane's stability.This is the case with FS2004 stock planes too.
I managed to maintain plane stable even beyond 2000 RPM (with elevator finally functioning ) adding heavy head wind of 24knots. :idea:

WND
Senior Airman

Post by WND »

Sparow:

Thought I'd let you know I managed to do a 2000 rpm runup using the D-25 model - calm winds. Holding full back on the stick it was managable however if I got up to about 2200 the tail started coming up! :(

Biggest thing I did find was my brakes would not hold very good at that setting - aircraft would start creaping forward! :oops:

I do tend to disagree with you tho regarding elevator function / plane stability. Either that or I'm just using 40 years of habits and don't notice any difference!!!
Bill

sparow
Airman

Post by sparow »

Thank you Bill I checked sim today again and I confirm 17 knots of wind for P-47-30 + full stick back works.
Somehow for 2000 RPM I get about 25" manifold pressure instead of 30" at sea level.
Brakes needs some servicing at my sim too. :roll:
For the rest I didn't make myself clear, sorry.Lets put like this:
No wind ,Brakes on, engine running 1800 RPM-just about to tip to its nose and then fast action on stick full forward for a while and back.Nothing happens- airplane remains in same position.
I will open new topic about problem. :?

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

sparow wrote:Thank you Gents for your info .I beleive among other things problem is that FS2004 does not support prop. air flow component.
Indeed during high RPM ground run elevator position does not make any changes in plane's stability.This is the case with FS2004 stock planes too.
I managed to maintain plane stable even beyond 2000 RPM (with elevator finally functioning ) adding heavy head wind of 24knots. :idea:
FS9 does model this, but to duplicate the correct level of prop effect at a standstill leads to odd behaviors during normal flight. We have to compromise on this to some extent. It's ground handling that FS9 does not replicate especially well, and this is one of the factors, along with braking and thrust. You can get fairly close, but the "flight" model takes precedence over the "ground" model! :)

sparow
Airman

Post by sparow »

Thanks SD_Research ,I apologise creating a confusion but after complete FS9 + P47 reinstallation propwash effect on tailsurfaces came back normal. :D
Elevator is reacting even in no wind conditions.Plane still noses over (at 2000 RPM ,30" sea level ,full elevator up ,no wind conditions) As per Bill's advice adding some head wind solves this problem too. :)

WND
Senior Airman

Post by WND »

Sparow:

I'm glad things are getting better and I was able to offer some assistance for you. :D

If you want to get some good experience with a "tail dragger", take something like a Piper cub or Cessna or a "light" tail dragger (other than something that would be classified as heavy) and taxi around etc on a windy day. You would be amased at what you have to do with the controls!!!!

Anyways, glad things are getting better!
Bill

new reply

Return to “Republic P47 "Thunderbolt"”