Tiny complaint, or maybe question, on shutdown

Big, Powerful, and Heavy
new reply
Li'lJugs
Senior Airman

Tiny complaint, or maybe question, on shutdown

Post by Li'lJugs »

When I shutdown engine, turning off the mags, the prop STOPS! I.e., no winding down, it just stops! Is this a problem with my settings somehow, or an FS limitation, or a bug?

I haven't noticed this in any other a/c, just the Jug.

???

Can it be fixed?

So far, really enjoying this add-on, although this does bother me.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I'm not sure what may be causing this - maybe someone else can weigh in. It's definately taking a long time to wind down over here.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

WWFII
Airman First Class

Post by WWFII »

I turned the mags off, and the propeller still winds down. So, maybe a setting on your computer.

AC
A2A First Lieutenant

Post by AC »

Is this on the ground or in the air?

On the ground I don't recall ever seeing more than a rev or so worth of turning due to the compression and friction of the engines stopping them when there was no spark.

(Your mag drop during ground check with just one jug not firing was over fifty and often 100, so with no spark at all they would not turn long!)

In the air I don't recall any engine stopping unless it "froze up " or was feathered. They windmilled or ran away!!

By "wind down", what do you mean? How long does it take in the sim?( I haven't installed mine yet.)

Maybe turbo propjets wind down... I never thought about it (and never flew one).

Of course I changed over to jets about 50 years ago, so maybe ny memory is faulty.

Li'lJugs
Senior Airman

Post by Li'lJugs »

What I mean is that when the engine shuts off on the ground, after landing, while at idle naturally, the prop stops instantly. One moment it is spinning, a micro-second later, it is stopped, no "windmilling" or anything. BUT, I can hear the sound of, I guess, the genorator, mags, etc (or whatever) slowly winding down.

In other words, the sound seems correct, but the visuals are definately not.

IIRC, the WOP '190 shuts down properly, but I'll have to go back and check.

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

He's talking about the amount of time that centrifugal force takes to stop due to the friction you spoke of Major. There is a rather large lever arm out there on the end of that prop shaft ...

If I understand him he's getting all the sound of a stopping power plant but he's not getting the graphics of the blade rotating ever so slowly until it stops. (Obviously others are ... myself I haven't installed it yet.)
Snuffy

WWFII
Airman First Class

Post by WWFII »

Ah, in that case, when my engine stops, the propeller does wind-mill for a few seconds. The animation doesn't stop instantly. Must be a setting in your Flight Sim causing this?

Li'lJugs
Senior Airman

Post by Li'lJugs »

Yes, it is possibly a setting, but what would that be? I have, per instructions, set it to "hard, collisions detected", all sliders to the right.

AMD 2600+, ATI 9700Pro, 128 Meg, 512 RAM, XPHome.

Scott?

Fragmentum
Staff Sergeant

Post by Fragmentum »

Do you have Lee Swordy's newest FSUIPC installed? This may help.

new reply

Return to “Republic P47 "Thunderbolt"”