Against orders

Big, Powerful, and Heavy
jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Against orders

Post by jcblom »

JJB17463rdBombGroup wrote:Wow Jan she is beautiful what a great job and a very kind offer.
I'd like to see this repaint also for the upcoming WOP III Thunderbolt for FSX.
This is of course a bubbletop (I used the -30 model), but the upcoming WoPIII version is a razorback...
no worries however, I've read that the 316th also used razorbacks, so if the new one comes with a paintkit (Scott?), I'd be happy to do a 316th repaint.
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes there will be a paint kit, Ive already used it twice.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

wnyowell
Senior Airman

Post by wnyowell »

Jan, Thanks for a marvelous job. Even if I can't run P-47, I can admire your work. The only "flaw" that I find, and I've checked with a pilot from the 316th, is that they didn't wear life jackets on missions which were always over France and Germany.

"Wee Three" was in large letters on the right cowling; we're not sure whether it was on the left one.

I should add, that my "flying" is in a Spitfire in Battle of Britain II. Haven't tried MS Flight Simulator since CFS III.
Falcon-NW Talon; Intel Quad Core i7 2.67 GHz; ATI HD-4870;27" Acer Widescreen Monitor; Windows 7 Home Professional 64-bit; AV8R stick & Quadrant; CH Pro Pedals; TrackIR-4

wnyowell
Senior Airman

Post by wnyowell »

Jan.
Here is a picture of Wee Three; it's on the left.
Attachments
Wee Three.jpg
Wee Three.jpg (231.23 KiB) Viewed 6638 times
Falcon-NW Talon; Intel Quad Core i7 2.67 GHz; ATI HD-4870;27" Acer Widescreen Monitor; Windows 7 Home Professional 64-bit; AV8R stick & Quadrant; CH Pro Pedals; TrackIR-4

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Wow great Picture Bill.That especially helps for the repaint.
I have found some links about the Republic P-47D-28-RA variant.You guys probably know this already though.I see that it had a improved extended Dorsel fin Strake to the fin to prevent Yaw problems of some earlier Bubbletop,"Superbolts called that by pilots" or the Thunderbolt II.
Also I saw that it had a different Curtiss propellor.And it had an extended range I think that it was a max 1,800 miles.
http://www.368thfightergroup.com/P-47.html
http://www.368thfightergroup.com/P-47-2.html
http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/p47_4.html
http://www.cradleofaviation.org/history ... -47/7.html
http://82.149.225.246/AirProfile/007%20 ... 007%5D.pdf
http://www.ww2incolor.com/us-air-force/ ... d.jpg.html
http://chowhoundhotdogs.com/
http://www.365th-fbg.com/modules.php?na ... t=-8&pos=6
http://rwebs.net/avhistory/history/p-47.htm
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/P-47.html
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

wnyowell
Senior Airman

Post by wnyowell »

Jan, I don't know how I missed it; must have been checking just the last digits in the tail number. But the first digit is "4", not "2". From the Missing Air Crew Report: 42-28590.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

wnyowell wrote:Jan, I don't know how I missed it; must have been checking just the last digits in the tail number. But the first digit is "4", not "2". From the Missing Air Crew Report: 42-28590.
I know, but the first digit was never on the aircraft, it always started with the second digit, so this is what its tail would have shown.
Check for instance the littlefriends site (http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/), find yourself a pic in which the tail number is visible, and then check the caption. The 4 was never on the tail, unless the serial started with 44-***. I guess that first 4 was considered pointless, since they would all start with a 4.
I'll see if I can get some more work done over the next few days, won't take long now.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

Here's another update.
On Bill's pic, I saw that Wee Three did not have the Hell's Belle logo on the nose, but the 316th white diamond, so I added that.
I also gave the red lightning a black shade, it looks as if it is present on Jack's aircraft as well, but I am not sure.
I added the name only on one side, but putting it on the other side would be real easy. Depends on wether you want it or not.
Finally, I added a bit of weathering and some scratches, to give the aircraft a slightly worn look.
What do you think so far, any more comments?
Bill, any remarks?

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

seemed a waste not to use the Hell's Belle logo, and as JJB wanted a razorback, here's one. The serial is correct, Harry Herschberger belly landed this one after his engine caught fire acoording to the 324th honor roll. The number 89 is a wild guess though.
You should be able to use this paint for the FSX razorback too. As for the WoP III version, that will undoubtedly have different textures, so I may have to paint it again.
Anyway, how do you like this one?

wnyowell
Senior Airman

Post by wnyowell »

JC.

I think Jack's plane did have Belle on the left cowling. Here is a plane which replaced his #83, parked in the Stuttgart airfield which was captured after he was killed.
Attachments
#83.jpg
#83.jpg (198.52 KiB) Viewed 6532 times

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

I can do that of course, but are you sure?
The squadron logo on the nose is usually a late in the war thing, while earlier on the official markings were applied (here the diamond).
But if you want, I can put one diamond and one logo on it.

wnyowell
Senior Airman

Post by wnyowell »

No, I'm not sure. I was only eleven years old and wasn't there. But Jack was shot down on March 19, 1945. The photograph of the replacement plane was taken soon after. He was lost six weeks before the end of the war in Europe, so I'm not clear on just what you mean by "late in the war thing". His fellow pilot with whom I am in correspondence and to whom I sent the picture wrote, "Bill, I think they did a good job with 83, it was sure nice of them to use the photo. Would have been nice to have Jasper's name painted on just below the canopy as we did, on mine the crew chief's name was there too. I do seem to recall the "Wee Three" being on the side where they have the logo, but what the heck, minor difference. Also think our 500 lb RDX bomb was shaped a little differently , more of a cone shaped nose, than that shown, but also 'what the heck'."

Jack's middle name was Jasper, and he always called him that. Were you to include his name it was, "1st Lt. John J. Yowell, Jr." I don't know the name of the crew chief; he never mentioned it.

Just as a preference, I like the logo. Perhaps the logo and "Wee Three". Looks to me that the lightning bolt is too thick, what do you think?

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

wnyowell wrote:No, I'm not sure. I was only eleven years old and wasn't there. But Jack was shot down on March 19, 1945. The photograph of the replacement plane was taken soon after. He was lost six weeks before the end of the war in Europe, so I'm not clear on just what you mean by "late in the war thing". His fellow pilot with whom I am in correspondence and to whom I sent the picture wrote, "Bill, I think they did a good job with 83, it was sure nice of them to use the photo. Would have been nice to have Jasper's name painted on just below the canopy as we did, on mine the crew chief's name was there too. I do seem to recall the "Wee Three" being on the side where they have the logo, but what the heck, minor difference. Also think our 500 lb RDX bomb was shaped a little differently , more of a cone shaped nose, than that shown, but also 'what the heck'."

Jack's middle name was Jasper, and he always called him that. Were you to include his name it was, "1st Lt. John J. Yowell, Jr." I don't know the name of the crew chief; he never mentioned it.

Just as a preference, I like the logo. Perhaps the logo and "Wee Three". Looks to me that the lightning bolt is too thick, what do you think?
Hi Bill,
I just thought you might have had more info, no worries.
I can do it with the logo, no problem, I'll swap it with the razorback. I'll also put "wee three" on both sides, and will put your brothers name on there.
As for the bomb, I can't help that, that's part of the model.
Finally the lightning bolt, you're completely right! The images I had were all really small, so I made a mistake. It will be thinner!

Cheers,

JanKees

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by jcblom »

Here are a few more shots.
I exchanged the nose decorations on both aircraft, added the "wee three" text on both sides of the nose, thinned the lightning bolt and added Lt Yowell's name below the cockpit. Any comments on this version?

wnyowell
Senior Airman

Post by wnyowell »

Jan, I think that is wonderful! I don't thinks words are adequate to thank you. I've printed it and will make a better one.

If it's not too much, I have a request. Jack's buddy, the guy I got in touch with over the Internet the year before last, wrote that his plane was a razor back, with the tail assembly out of line, so that he had to apply rudder correction constantly and that it got such bad gas mileage that he carried one less bomb and a gas tank instead. "I hated that plane". It was Army green. I wonder if you could paint 89 in the first picture and remove the rockets. They tried them once and didn't like them. Oh, and his plane's number was 86. (I told Jerry that "86" was a term used in restaurant kitchens when they were out of something, '86 on roast beef'. Here's a picture of Lt. Jerry Wurmser in his plane:
Attachments
Jerry-Wurmser.jpg
Jerry-Wurmser.jpg (107.43 KiB) Viewed 6414 times

new reply

Return to “Republic P47 "Thunderbolt"”