Can't map keys to CH throttle

Chivas
BDG

Post by Chivas »

Ok..

I do all my keystroke assignments in the seperate controllers software.

I just tried assigning a keystoke to my Cougar throttle using the ingame key mapping and it did work, but the first time it didn't recognise one of my throttles buttons, now it does....go figure.

Anyway I just went into the keymap area and clicked on the keystoke beside the discription eg....Hudtoggle ......H....click on the H and it turned RED then I pressed the desired button on my throttle. Then the game gave me a Warning that this button was already assigned, would I like to change it. Thats as far as I tried as it tells me the game is recognising the throttle button. After you say Ok it should be just a matter of pushing Save as the bottom, then exiting...Then the game should ask if you want the settings changed...agree again....and you should be good to go.

Let me know it the keystroke goes Red when you click on it.

~Salute~
Chivas

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

Chivas

Yes, BoB2 recognizes my joystick, pedals, and throttle - they all work as intended. My entire problem lies with the fact that any time I try to assign a key to one of the devices, it doesn't "take". Zip, nada, zilch.... I get all of the queries (such as this key is already assigned to such and such) and a nag screen asking if I want to save the changes (to which I reply yes), but nothing appears in the key column.

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

How do I insert or paste a screen shot? I think it would be much easier to understand what I'm getting if I could share the screen that comes up after I try to assign a key to the throttle.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

I use Irfanview as it is free.

Hit the print Screen key (top left).

I Infanview I hit view and paste as the pic is in the clipboard.

To host the Pic you need to upload it. To save time just email the Pic to me.

buddye1<at>houston.rr.com
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Chivas
BDG

Post by Chivas »

Hi jh

Ok, not sure why your having a problem....I took it a step further and my cougar throttle button does appear as a new keystroke. All I can suggest is using the CH software to program the keystrokes. You can also test the CH output by opening Notepad and see if any keystroke you assign to the CH throttle will be noted by Notepad.

~Salute~
Chivas

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi and thanks for the Pic.

All of your keys have been reassigned it looks like to me. Did you do anything to get the key assignments look like your pic?
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

Hi,

Nope, absolutely nothing..... All I did was to try and assign the "chosetog" key to button 1 of the throttle. Nothing appeared in the "key" column of the "chosetog" command though, only the commands that popped up in the pic

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

I still do not understand.

Looks like you have clicked on "AROTDNRIGHT" key (it is highlighted in red).

It looks like to me you are trying to assign the "AROTDNRIGHT" key to the 10% throttle key (1). Are you have already done it. You are assigning Keys to other key positions on the keyboard and not the stick.

The ChaseTog key (F9) is down in the list of keys.

Looks like your keys are really messed up.

Lets try this one simple example:

First, get to Key mapping, on the bottom click "default". This should get you back to the default keys.

Go down to the ChaseTog key (search the left column). On the left column it should say "ChaseTog". On the right column it should say "F9" (F9 is the default key).

Left Click once on the right column (F9). (it should turn red, and you should see the polling message lower down).

Now push a button on your joystick.

What do you see?

Buddye

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi, I got your Pic. Something is porked. You do not have the default keys. You must be missing some files.

The best course of action is to do a very fresh install. Please follow the instructions as best you can as we have good results with people having install issues.

REINSTALL PROCEDURE

Most of these issues are a result of a bad install or a bad/corrupted download of the 2.07 patch and MS 2.07 self-loaders. The Key to getting off to a good start in BOBII is to do a well planned and executed install. We have had great success with the following procedure:

Please install both the BoBII game CD, and 2.07 self-installer "safe mode". If you do not know how to do a safe mode install, just do a search of windows help for "safe Mode" for instructions. The safe mode prevents any outside interventions like virus updates, popups, etc. If you do not agree with the safe mode installation you are free to not do it. Safe mode is useful for preventing interruptions during installations by spyware, popup's, and virus software. It has nothing to do with BOBII. The goal is to get a clean and good install without a interruption in the process as some of the files are very large.

1. re-download the 2.07 (in case the first was corrupt)
2. Uninstall old version or BoBII
3. Defrag hard drive
4. Run a registry cleaner (like CC cleaner - a free program) as you had an old install of BobII
5. Delete all files from the BoBII folder. These old files left by the uninstaller can cause issues with the new EXE.
6. Reinstall BoBII game CD (in Safe Mode)
7. Run 2.07 patch self-loaders (only 2.07 patch in safe mode)
8. JUST BEFORE PLAYING GAME, turn OFF Anti-virus, Spyware, and other unnecessary background programs as they can slow the game down and prevent files from loading (CTD), interrupt BoBII with pop-ups (etc,) and cause a CTD.

Get your joystick set up and fly a few missions to be sure the install is OK and then try and assign a key to your joystick.
Buddye

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

Buddye

Although I've just started to follow your directions, I had to tell you how much I REALLY appreciate all the time, trouble, thought and concern you have shown me in trying to help. You have definetly gone "above and beyond" to solve my problem and I wish there was some way i could repay you (got any ideas??). It's folks like you that make these games so wonderful. If they don't work as they should, you are there to help, and help, and help. Once again, THANYK YOU!!!

Your friend,

Jim

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi, jim, thanks for the very kind words. We the BDG do want to provide excellent customer support.

Really no problem on the help. We love to help and support our customers. Most customers will not hang in there with us and work the problem as some problems are very difficult and take alot of time and effort to solve. Each and every PC environment has different hardware and software and so many little things can go wrong that effect game play.

This "strange" problem has become a challenge to me and once I found out you were willing to work with me, I was ready for the long term.

Lets just hope we can get this solved, sorted and get you flying properly.
Buddye

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

Buddye

Well, tried your advice TO THE LETTER and had the same results. No key will map, and none are assigned. The Key column is blank except for keys 1-0 , ESC, and , (like in the pic I sent you). Any other ideas? I went into Control Panel/Game Controllers and all the devices are working perfectly.

Thanks,

Jim

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Jim, this really is a strange one. A first.

So the moment you hit save after assigning a new key in the key mapping screen, it should click to acknowedge that you have saved, and if you want to exit you then hit the tick box top right.

I'd then suggest exiting the game after assigning just one and going back to the same place- does the assignment just not stick?

I wonder whether one of your files in the \SAVEGAME folder (in particular, settings.cfg) has been set to write-only and is not saving correctly. Have you changed any of that?
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

Bader, (any relation to Douglas Bader of WWII fame?!?!?!?)

The moment I hit any button on any device (either the joystick or throttle) NOTHING appears in the "key column". You think all of the above is strange, listen to this (I just discovered it after playing last night) the "chasetog" command has been somehow assigned to button 4 of my Microsfot FFB 2 joystick! Curiouser, and curiouser!!!!!

I've tried the "assigning" then quiting then coming back to Controls to see if the assignment "stuck", to no avail.

The primary purpose of each device works perfectly, i.e., the joystick controls aelerons, the pedals control rudder, the throttle controls throttle, etc, etc, they just can;t be asked to do anything else

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

I wonder if it has something to do with this infrared transceiver device listed in your diagnostic. It seems to have acquired the lowest input device number, bumping the stick throttle and pedal to the higher numbered slots. ...Are you still unable to arrange for the stick to be shown at the top of the menu as Chivas describes in his instructions?

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”