Can't map keys to CH throttle

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

jhsimpson wrote:nope, can't assign keys to the joystick either although button number 2 mysteriously initiates "outsidetog" the very action that I'm trying to assign to one of the throttle buttons!

Weird, Eh??
I think it proves that the key assignments do work. You are seeing some kind of default key assignment in your MS FF stick, I think.

Go back to my notes and picture of the options->controls (key assignment) and study it again to see if you are doing everything correctly. You must be doing it incorrectly, IMHO.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

buddye,

I notice in your pic that you have your joystick selected (in the background). Should I FIRSt have the CH Throttle selected THEN go to the Key Map area to assign a key on the CH Throttle? Also, I have never seen a key assignment show up on the right hand side of the Key Map area whereas I see on your pic that you not only have them displayed, but one is in red for some reason......

Thanks,

Jim

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Look on page 38 of the User Manual (your's should look like that and its even the same MS FF stick).

It was in red because I had left clicked on it to highligh it so that I can get the Polling message. I am concerned that you do not understand my directions or my PIC.

The Manual is in the BOBII folder in the Docs folder.

You have to set up all the axis first and then the keys.

Yes, when it assigns keys to buttons that is what you see, after you answer yes in the dialog box.

You should have a line on the pull down (where you see my stick) for each of your controllers you have plugged in but keep it simple for now and only plug in the stick. (unplug the CH peddles and the CH throttle).
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

Buddye,

Anymore ideas?

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi jhsimpson,

Sorry I am fresh out of ideas.

You either have a hardware issue (which is specific to your PC environment) which I do not think or you are making a mistake in the effort to get your buttons assigned.

I base this opinion on the fact tha we have had 1000's of customers able to assign keys on just about every brand of stick including yours (MS FF 2). I do not know of a single customer who was not able to assign buttons.

I just do not know what else to say to help you.

Maybe some of our other knowledgable guys can help you and lead you through the key assignment process in a different and better way than me.
Buddye

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

I can take a shot at it: jhsimpson, at one point, you say
I have never seen a key assignment show up on the right hand side of the Key Map area whereas I see on your pic that you not only have them displayed, but one is in red for some reason......
Is this still the case? Do you see the yellow title text "Commands" and "Keys" as indicated in Buddye's pic? If there seem to be no entries under "Keys", are you still able to click in the region of the "Keys" column opposite the command entry OUTSIDETOG, and see the message appear below "Polling Input Devices"?

Do I understand it correctly that you get that far, but don't see the button acknowledged when you press it? Are you able to get any other keyboard key or contoller button to be acknowledged by the polling routine at that point?

...How many buttons are on your devices in total? It may be that you are hitting a limit. BoB1 seemed to only recognize 9 buttons on controller devices. I don't know what the limit is for BoBII. When a controller button is acknowedged, it is usually shown in the form A1_b5, where the first pair is the controller, which in the default listing on my menu seem to be able to range from A1 to A4, and the second pair is the button. I can only see b1 to b8 coded on the default alternatives on my menu. That suggests that you can have four controllers, but perhaps only 8 or 9 buttons on each.

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

thanks so much for helping!! To answer your first paragraph = YES i get the column titles, the Polling message, etc. but nothing appears when I select the command, move to the right to assign a key, and hit a key on my throttle = nothing appears! And like you said, in every other game, I would get an assignment that had a pair of "coordinates" one for the actual device (say A1) and the second for the key on THAT device say b3) so it would look like A1 b3

It seems that I have eight button on each both the joystick and the throrrle. Here;s an interesting point I just noticed, every time I hit a button on the throttle, a 6 will be assigned, then a 7 for its adjacent button, then an 8 for the third button, but that's all......

Thanks again,

Jim

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Chivas posted this on the General forum, you can read it. You may want to contact him (PM) if you need more info.

This was news to me.

"Make sure that in the game menu, under conrols, that your joystick is at the top of the drop down menu when Express is checked. Then when you check the Custom button the game will automatically set up the rudder axis.

In my case I have a Cougar Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, and a MSFF2 joystick. I have to keep the Cougar joystick under my desk as
the Cougar throttle works thru it. The game also sees the Mouse and Keyboard.

THE IMPORTANT things if....If you happen to have any of these other inputs at the top of the list and then check the Custom button it will wipe out your joystick settings, and won't recognize your twist rudder on your MS joystick when you move it.

This is assuming that Windows recognizes your MS stick.

You also wipe out all your settings....as I just did. hehe. Its a good idea the save your joystick settings in another folder just for cases like this."
Buddye

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

"Make sure that in the game menu, under conrols, that your joystick is at the top of the drop down menu when Express is checked.

I tried the recommendation that my joystick be at the top of the drop down menu, but couldn't find any way of "moving" my joystick's position from being under the mouse and keyboard.

The system recognizes everything (my joystick, rudder pedals, and throttle) just won't allow me to assign keys to buttons on either the joystick or throttle.

THANKS!!

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Are you running Vista?

Let me look over your PC specs:

DXDIAG INSTRUCTIONS

We now have 1000's of customers flying BobII 2.07 without major issues. Sorry about your problem.

When customers have your problem it usually a hardware problem, virus software issue, or a bad install. Virus software (we have issues with Bit Defender) also can prevent BoBII from loading.

Please post your PC spec's with a DXDIAG so we can review you computer and check a few things:

Here's how to create a DXDIAG:

DX Diag is a utility/report that dumps technical info to a text file. The file is fairly lengthy, and is divided into sections for easy management. The detail in this file may help us discover 'related issues' leading to the solution of problems users are having.

*Click on your "Start" button.
*Select "Run".
*Clear the "Open" box and type "dxdiag" (without the quotes).
*Click "OK".
*A box called "DirectX Diagnostic Tool" should open.
*At the bottom of this window, you will find a button called "Save All Information".
*Click this button.
*A box will pop up prompting you to save a file called "dxdiag.txt"
*Save this file to your "Desktop".
*Now you should see a text file called "dxdiag.txt" sitting on your Windows desktop.
*That's it!! Now we will have the info necessary to help you efficiently

Just cut and paste it into this thread and yes it is large.
Buddye

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi Again,

Take a very close look at this thread. It seems very strange but then I think your problem is also very stange. You also have the same stick.

Do you have the MS SS software 4.0 installed?

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p ... ost2402838
Buddye

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

Hi again, again....

Did you mean MS sidewinder FFB2 joystick? I don't know what version i currently have installed, but i think version 4 is for the wheel only, not the joystick, I think

The really odd aspect of all this is that the game recognizes the throttle, joystick, and rudder pedals. THEY all work fine. It's just that I can;t assign any keys to either the throttle or joystick. I'm not convinced the solution offered in the thread you sent would apply in my case.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

You may be correct. I am still convinced something (HW or SW ) is blocking/preventing the assigning off keys in your PC environment.

Do you us a USB Hub?
Does your stcivk, Throttle, and peddles all plug directly into a USB port on your PC? Or into a UBS Hub?
Buddye

jhsimpson
Airman

Post by jhsimpson »

Buddye,

They all plug into the PC. I do have a USB hub, but none of them plug in there. I have assigned various keys to the throttle and joystick in IL2 1946 without a glitch of any kind.......

Thanks

Jim

Chivas
BDG

Post by Chivas »

Hi jh

Does the game see your joystick and throttle axis correctly and your not sure how to assign the keys? I'm just going out the door for an hour or two and will read the whole thread when I get back.

~Salute~
Chivas

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”