Does the Windows 10 Creators Update help BOBII run on W10?

new reply
Scotters
Airman First Class

Does the Windows 10 Creators Update help BOBII run on W10?

Post by Scotters »

Just wondering if the new Windows 10 Creators update helps with getting BOBII to work on windows 10?

hAirypAulsAck
Airman Basic

Re: Does the Windows 10 Creators Update help BOBII run on W1

Post by hAirypAulsAck »

Why yes it does, I think.

If my memory serves me correctly it was my understanding that v2.13 had to be run with windows 7 compatibility mode enabled. Windows 10 creators update (besides the stupid xbox crap) was supposed to provide better support for older games.

I was SOL until I found a post where someone mentioned disabling the videos. Other than that, no compatibility mode, updated NVIDIA drivers, directx 9.0c and you're good.

These are off by default, just edit bdg.txt in the root folder and save and you're good.
SKIP_QUICKVIDEOS=ON
SKIP_VIDEOS=ON

You can even ALT+TAB in the main menu, not sure about in game, but I remember that causing a fault when simply doing it from menu.

hAirypAulsAck
Airman Basic

Post by hAirypAulsAck »

Campaign mode now seems to work at resolution too!

I'm running 1600x900 @60 no problem, haven't tried 1920x1080. Can also seamlessly go back and forthe (at least from out of gameplay as I haven't tried yet, but it acts like a boarderless window.

hAirypAulsAck
Airman Basic

Post by hAirypAulsAck »

Lol I'd edit my post, but I have no access to it as it hasn't been approved and I don't frequent this forum often,

The game will most likely crash after leaving gameplay, the alt-x thing you may hear people talk about.

Here is the fix:
A discussion on the beta forum last year suggested that µ$
had knackered DX9.0c as dispensed for win 8 and 10, and
this is why it was failing, as the hobbled DX9 was not allowed
to access sufficient memory, while the OS was gobbling more
RAM, so any significant graphics challenge would crash the
program. The solution would be to swap out a portion of DX9
supplied with win8/10 with one used in win7. There was apparently
a thread at Tom's Hardware about this, and a cure for users
updating from win7 was to rollback the KB3081424 section of
the win(10?) update, to get back to the win7 version of d3d9.dll ,
as I understand it.

So, if you want to try this, save your current version of d3d9.dll
(presumably in windows\system32\ ) to a safe backup, and drop
in the one from here: http://www3.telus.net/v1ncent/bob/d3d9.zip

The worst it can do is make your machine cough and die, then you
replace the old one...
2 Options.

1st is simple and easy that I don't know if quoted person knew about..
Take the d3d9.dll from the zip and just place it in the root folder of the game.
If a directx dll is placed within the game root folder (or similarly the bin folder [we want it to be next to the executable, not a launcher if they reside in different locations]), the executable will automatically use it.

If you go the suggested route, you will need to edit the permissions of the d3d9.dll in the system32 folder because it's locked via system, even with a full administrator account. An easier way is to visit seven/eight/ten forums.com and get the registry file that adds Take Ownership to the context menu. Then you will rename it for backup, and place the modified dll from the archive and you're all set.

I would go first route because IDK what the did to modify it, and all games/things that use directx runtime will now be using the modified dll, only dx9 software though. Easier just to place in the game directory and this way only the game uses it.

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

First, thanks for all the ideas.

I have had some progress, but also some failures. I added the dx9 c file to the BOB II folder. I adjusted my window to 1600X900. I played once in the campaign and alt Xed successfully. A second time led to a crash.

Now the in game movies run fine without any issues, but I will try disabling them next and go from there.

For those of you having success, what are your graphics settings? Everything low?

I have a 960 geforce card. Windows 10 with the latest updated. Latest Nvidia drivers.

-------------
I still had a crash in flight, after disabling the videos. I was getting excited for a second, but I still can't get this game to work yet. Maybe we are close? Are the rest of you able to play the game normal now in windows 10?
-------
I just tried again adjusting my resolution to 1600X900X16 for both the campaign and 3D. I was at 1600X900X16. I fought one of the first battles of the first campaign as the British, with 100s of fighter and stukas in the air, and I was able to play for a long time. What a thrill. But as soon as hit alt X I got the same crash as I always have.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”