Only getting force feedback for firing guns and on runway

new reply
Nsvane
Airman Basic

Only getting force feedback for firing guns and on runway

Post by Nsvane »

Hi everybody

Nice forum you've got here, and now I'll join with my rookie questions :)

I'm currently flying with a xbox one controller (im confined to a room, with no support for a joystick).

My question is: I am currently lacking all FF from other effects than taxiing on the ground and firing the guns.

I have tried to tweak the ff files in the BoB folder with the old fedit.exe tool from microsoft, but it still wont react.

Its numbing the flight experience a bit (between crashes on Win10), so I hope you guys can help me enable the full ff effects.

Yours
Niels

vramesh
Senior Airman

Re: Only getting force feedback for firing guns and on runwa

Post by vramesh »

Dear Nsvane,

Welcome to the forum!
I'm currently flying with a xbox one controller (im confined to a room, with no support for a joystick).
Welcome to the brotherhood of the joypad flyers!
I fly with original XBOX Duke controller (which I hacked and refit to suit my needs). I had to do some antics with ppjoy, GlovePIE and XBCD to get the Duke to work. The version of XBCD driver I have (for Win7 64bit) has some issues with driving the motor of the Duke and anytime any FF related activity is invoked, the games (including BoB2) crash to desktop. So, I had to give up FF :-(.

Glad to hear that FF works with the 360 controller.
My question is: I am currently lacking all FF from other effects than taxiing on the ground and firing the guns.
By other effects I guess you mean:
1) Getting hit by enemy bullets/flak
2) Buffeting when riding the edge of stall
3) Wind related buffeting
4) Yanking the stick too hard
5) In a (power) dive exceeding safe speed limits
I don't think that BoB2 is selective in providing FF. I think it is either all or nothing. (Basically, a check box that says whether you want FF or not). The force/strength with which the joypad rumbles (if at all) is hard-coded into the program and may not be user-configurable. I don' t think there is any provision for the user to tell the joystick to specifically rumble only during taxi or only during firing in BoB2. What I am saying is that, since you get FF for taxiing and firing, you may be getting FF for all other features for which FF was coded too and maybe their strength is too feeble. Or, it could be the case that they have not been coded in at all.

Since I can't use FF (*sob*), I am unable to be of further assistance. Just sharing my $0.02 on the matter.
Hopefully, others more knowledgeable than I on the matter, will chime in.

Once again, welcome to the forum!
--
Vasanth
Veni, vidi, velcro

I came, I saw, I stuck around...

vramesh
Senior Airman

Post by vramesh »

Dear Nsvane,
Previously, I had written:
I don't think that BoB2 is selective in providing FF. I think it is either all or nothing
Well, I was wrong. Sorry.
According to 2.10 manual page-34, BoB2 does indeed have the capability to selectively use FF for the folowing:

Code: Select all

Gunfire -transmits vibrations caused by the guns on your aircraft.
Buffet - transmits vibration caused by buffeting if you are near the stall condition, close to an explosion, or close to the speed of sound (unlikely).
Aerodynamic - causes stiffening of the controls at high speed.
Airframe - transmits vibrations transmitted through the airframe from the ground - i.e. when you are taking off or landing (or crashing).
These extra menu items appear automatically in the Options-> Control -> Custom screen if the joystick supports force feedback.
--
Vasanth.
Veni, vidi, velcro

I came, I saw, I stuck around...

Nsvane
Airman Basic

Post by Nsvane »

Thanks for the reply :)

It's actually a xbox one controller im using. I had to use a custom 'overlay' driver created from a user on SimHQ (the Over flanders fields sub-forum), to enable FF at all. Then I added a mouse-free look tweaker for other games (the built-in in BoB works like a charm though), so a stick on the controller can be used as mouse look.

Then I installed directx 9.0c and ffed.exe from the SDK 8.1, and then I could modify all ff files from the BoB folder.

The problem is that it shows no effect in the game. It seems like ½ of the effects are totally shut off.

It doesnt matter though as BoB is really unstable on win10, so I'm going to wait till next week when I get a new stationary to play on. Its going to have a windows 7 partion :)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”