Appcrash un-/re-installing BoB WoVII + 2.13 patch (W10x64)

new reply
brianjgregory
Airman First Class

Appcrash un-/re-installing BoB WoVII + 2.13 patch (W10x64)

Post by brianjgregory »

Recently realised that 2.13 is now a fully-fledged patch; so completely uninstalled my previous BoBII version using "Programs & Features", deleted BoBII remnants, optimised disk (SSD) with Defraggler, cleaned registry with CCleaner and set about re-installing. Followed installation instructions to the letter, but W10 would not let me install DirectX9.0C using dxwebsetup; so manually installed the June 2010 DirectX9.0C_redist instead. Can get into game Menu & Option etc screens, but as soon as I go into 3D the game CTDs. Have tried tweaking BOB.exe compatibility options, but nothing seems to prevent CTD when entering 3D

Crash log gives:

Faulting application name: bob.exe, version: 2.1.2.0, time stamp: 0x5623a8e8
Faulting module name: mpg2splt.ax, version: 10.0.10586.0, time stamp: 0x5632d6d8
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000153d5
Faulting process id: 0x1f88
Faulting application start time: 0x01d19f05649e99be
Faulting application path: C:\Games\BoBII\bob.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\mpg2splt.ax
Report Id: 2daceb73-7939-4e31-ab01-5be50c5d8531
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

System:
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX v2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8-core
RAM: 32Gb Corsair 1600MHz
SSD: Samsung 850Pro 512Gb
GPUs: AMD Radeon R9 290X Vapor-X 8Gb (x2 - Crossfire)

Any thoughts anyone, before I try the un-/re-installation process again? Rgds. & Thanks, Brian Gregory. :roll: :roll:

stickman
BDG

Re: Appcrash un-/re-installing BoB WoVII + 2.13 patch (W10x6

Post by stickman »

Most people using Windows 10 get CTDs when exiting 3D play.
One guy reported he could run BoBII with Windows 10:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=48817

There are a few more discussions here about Windows 10.

Looks you did everything proper as per installing BoBII and DirectX9.10C.
I would be interested if you have any success running BoBIi with Win 10.

brianjgregory
Airman First Class

Post by brianjgregory »

Hi stickman.
Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid that in the end I wimped out. I had a spare 80Gb internal SSD that I have been planning for some time to use as a RAMdrive; but could never get it to work properly. Last night I really lost it with Win 8.1 & 10 & decided to install Win7x64 on the Intel SSD. After I finally bludgeoned the Win 7 installer disk into accepting that I really did want to GPT partition the Intel SSD, it went like a dream: BoBII now installed; patched to 2.13 & running (so far) smooth as silk. Have given up on Win 8.1 & 10; both seem to be lost causes. Frankly since I have BoBII running on what amounts to a dedicated drive; I'm pretty satisfied. All I need to do now is ensure that Microsoft doesn't sneakily try to upgrade it to 10 - so have turned Windows Update off to close off that potential problem outcome.

I guess on that basis, this help request can be considered resolved!

Regards,
Brian Gregory. :lol: :lol: :lol:

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Brian.

Well, you found the only solution that will work good. It is a radical solution, but nothing too tough for you to do, I see.
I have not upgraded my old computer yet. When I do, I will also have to jump through similar hoops as you have, to get back to Windows 7. :(
All I need to do now is ensure that Microsoft doesn't sneakily try to upgrade it to 10 - so have turned Windows Update off to close off that potential problem outcome.
Yeah, I heard about this happening, so I turned my Updates off, too.
Also, one Windows Update killed a Development Tool made for editing the BattleField objects in BoBII that I am still using.
That pissed me off! :evil:
Jumping thru some Restore hoops I finally got it back and working. :)

Good to see are running OK. If you have any problems, or complaints about 3D aircraft behavior, or other things that seem stupid or silly,
feel free to ask for help or complain.
We have a list of Known Issues that have not yet been resolved. The more complaints about these problems, the more important we feel the need to fix them.
We are short a coder, now, though.

brianjgregory
Airman First Class

Post by brianjgregory »

Stickman,
I've tried all the others: IL-2, IL-2CoD, DCS etc.; but the immersion factor with Bob just aces it for me. I get so hacked off when Microsoft tinker with Windows & crock BoB (& other sims, too). Just a case of keeping Win 7 from updating, now, I guess. :roll: :roll:

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”