Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics - Crashes

new reply
shammo
Airman Basic

Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics - Crashes

Post by shammo »

Hi all.

I recently bought BoB2 and quickly set about installing and updating it on my Dell Latitude E6540 laptop with Intel HD 4600 integrated GPU.

I experienced all of the common problems and managed to find this forum to resolve most of them (Windows 7 tweaks, and wide-screen issues etc...).

However, despite managing to get it to launch into a game at 1920x1080 (or any other resolution for that matter) it always crashes within a few seconds of starting the game. As though as soon as it goes 3D it tries to work but then gives up and crashes.

I know my hardware is more than capable to run it, in terms of grunt, as it runs beautifully for the few seconds I manage to play it.

I'm updated to version 2.12 and using multi-skin version 2.11.

Please can someone help?

Even the brief few seconds I've played so far have convinced me it's worth the effort to try to fix this.

Thanks.

ShadowShooter
Senior Airman

Re: Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics - Crashes

Post by ShadowShooter »

shammo wrote: I know my hardware is more than capable to run it, in terms of grunt, as it runs beautifully for the few seconds I manage to play it.
Hi shammo.
I hope you're still out there and haven't given up yet on getting it to work. The fact is, it is a very difficult business to get BoBII to work with only integrated graphics. There have been just two recorded cases of it as far as I know, and I was one of them. Unfortunately, in terms of game playing, integrated graphics really don't have a lot of grunt. If you're going to make it work, you have to start out by lessening the strain involved as much as possible.

The first thing to do is turn off the multi-skins, which are a big drain on the processor. From the description of the crashes it might be they are happening when planes first come into view. The multi-skin textures give every plane a distinct individual appearance, and are not necessary for game play, being simply to create a higher level of visual realism. Open the "bdg.txt" file in the main BoBII folder and find the line "MULTI_SKIN_MODE=ENABLE" and alter it to "MULTI_SKIN_MODE=DISABLE".

Next, find the line "LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE = 2048" and alter it to "LANDSCAPE_TEXTURE_SIZE = 1024".

After that, try playing the game again. If no improvement, go to the in-game options pages and set absolutely everything to the lowest available setting. If this works, you can always go back and gradually increase individual settings until you reach the best ones possible for your system.
If it doesn't work, then update your graphics driver by downloading it directly from the Intel site here:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search ... phics+4600
Select either the 64 or 32-bit version, and then download the ".exe" option. (Don't just rely on Windows automatic updates to do this job. They seem to use cut-down versions that aren't adequate for this particular purpose). Follow the instructions to install.
Hopefully then it will all work like a dream ! :)

shammo
Airman Basic

Post by shammo »

Hey ShadowShooter.

Many thanks for your reply, but unfortunately I couldn't get it to work.

I tried everything you suggested but it just seems to be a driver compatibility issue; Dells's version of the drivers maybe not quite the same as Intel's.

Anyway, managed to get my old desktop rig back up and it's Win 7, GeForce 560 Ti, and quad core (not that that helps), with 8Gb RAM.

Hopefully should work now, once I figure out where to get the installation files from.

:)

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

The latest patch linked out of this thread will
give you all you need beyond your current files.
The links are all working OK as I just checked
them last week:

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=33263

You can also add the beta of patch 2.13 out of
this thread, as those files are pretty much what
2.13 will use, but we'll have better documentation
for the new features when we get the release out.

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 10&t=39183

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”