BoBII version 2.12 runs on Linux under wine

new reply
Old Penguin
Airman Basic

BoBII version 2.12 runs on Linux under wine

Post by Old Penguin »

I have finally succeeded in getting BoB running under Linux, using the wine Windows emulator https://www.winehq.org/

I used the following Linux distribution:
  • Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (trusty), 64-bit architecture: Linux 3.13.0-39-generic #66-Ubuntu SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux
Computer:

a) Laptop with Intel® Pentium® 2020M Prozessor (2,4 GHz, Dual-Core) + HM70 chip set, onboard Intel Graphics controller, 1366x768 display
b) Desktop with AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 270 Processor (800 MHz, Dual-Core) , AMD ATI RS780L [Radeon HD 3000] graphics controller, 1680x1050 monitor

I have writtten up what I had to do in detail, including some screen shots in bob4linux-a2a.pdf (I tried to upload it to this forum, but PDF is not allowed :( )

On the laptop i get about 30fps average, 13 fps min. during the takeoff training.

Some background:

A couple of years ago I purchased a "History of Aviation" DVD with BoBII on it from a 'grab basket' at a game shop for GBP 1.50 - but unfortunately I could not get it running on the laptop I had at that time (it did not have the necessary pixel shader, everything showed up in 'funny' colors').

When I bought a new laptop about a year ago it was already with Windows 8.0 pre-installed. While I managed to get BoBII working on it, I got frequent CTDs so that it is practically unusable except for some short training missions (and still is after upgrading to Windows 8.1).

As I prefer to run under Linux unless forced to do otherwise, I tried to get BoB working in a virtual machine, but did not succeed, neither with VmWare nor with VirtualBox.

I then tried the Windows emulator wine (which has some Directx9 support) for BoB, and was quite surprised and really pleased when it started to work on my laptop! Actually it runs much more stable there than under Windows 8.1, I get an occasional CTD, but by far not as often as under Windows.

I also tried this on my desktop computer (which while having an AMD 64-bit processor, was still runnibg under 32-Bit Debian), first with no success, even after installing the same 64--Bit Ubuntu version as on the laptop. I then found in a post on the web that wine sometimes does not detect the amount of graphic card video memory correctly (i have a Radeon 3000 graphics card). After setting the correct amount of video memory in the wine/Windows registry, BoBII finally worked also on this computer.

Cheers,

Old Penguin
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

two27
Master Sergeant

Re: BoBII version 2.12 runs on Linux under wine

Post by two27 »

A glimmer of hope. Thanks for posting this. PV will be pleased :)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”