BOB2 is making my new gaming PC crash.

new reply
Beurling1942
Airman Basic

BOB2 is making my new gaming PC crash.

Post by Beurling1942 »

Pls help. I have bob2 on history of aviation CD and have installed BOB2, updated it with latest update (2.12). After update, I am unable to open it. When I double click in its desktop icon, my PC crashes and I get a blank screen. I have to manually reboot PC.
I have a new PC with Intel core i5 3570k CPU @ 3.4ghz and 8gb ram. 64 bit OS with windows7 home premium and an nvidia GEForce GTX760 video card. I have also got a Trackir system which appears to be working ok outside the game. I was able to open the game when i had installed he CD version without upgrades. However I believe that I have to update it in order to use the TRACKIR5 system with it.

I removed the game, deleted all folders, and reinstalled it, updated my NVIDIA drivers and I now momentarily get a message saying windows has changed colour scheme to windows 7 basic as a program is not compatible. When I clicked on this message, a central screen message came up saying that BOB2 is making windows temporarily change the colour scheme (process identifier 4196). The screen then goes blank and I have to perform a manual reboot.

Have saved a copy of bdg.txt file (unable to attach to this) if helpful. debuglog file says it is empty and unable to locate dumplog.dmp in BOB directory.

Thanks for your help.

PV
BDG

Re: BOB2 is making my new gaming PC crash.

Post by PV »

Wow, that's a new one :? I have never heard of a problem like this before.
It is sufficiently strange that I must ask, you didn't load the v2.12 patch over
Rowan's BoB1 (year 2000 release) by chance, did you? I'm not familiar with
this "History of Aviation" CD. (edit: ...ok, googled it, seems to be a UK
repackaging by "G2 games"). BoB2 has the subtitle "Wings of Victory".
You should not be seeing any messages about "colour schemes" or W7
compatibility. This suggests something very basic is wrong. What
sort of opening screen did you see with the basic sim before you
added the patch?

The patch is about a 307MB download, and should be run as an exe
installer, from a storage folder; it will require some interaction during install,
asking for input on location etc. Be sure to agree to have it install
itself over the BoB2 install it finds.

...Your PC should have no problems running BoB2. For Win7, please note the
tweaks required in the patch release notes (currently only shown in the post
on the BoB2 general forum post which announces the new patch):

- Do not use any compatibility mode, run BoB2 "natively" in Win7
- you must have a current (newer than 2011) version of DirectX 9 installed
. on your machine in addition to any Dx10 and/or Dx11 you may have
- in the launch shortcut properties, under compatibility, disable "desktop composition",
. and set "run as administrator"

Beurling1942
Airman Basic

Post by Beurling1942 »

Thanks for reply. No the CD definitely has BOB2 on it as well as 3 other flight sims. When I did a basic install it would take me to the menu screen with the game options on the right : instant flight etc. I ran the game once and then decided to invest in a TRACKIR5. The tracker website gave a link to an update on this website (I think it was v2.04). I installed that over bob2 installation and that's when the crashes started. I have since uninstalled everything and manually deleted the remaining BOB2 folder and did a fresh install. This time in updated it with patch 2.12. It prompted me to install directx9 but I have directx version 11 on my pc so I did not. Should I install dx9 anyway? If so do I need to uninstall the whole thing and start again?

I will also check tweaks you listed. Thanks.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

It prompted me to install directx9 but I have directx version 11 on my pc so I did not. Should I install dx9 anyway? If so do I need to uninstall the whole thing and start again?
You need the latest DirectX 9.0c to run BoBII. You will still have DirectX 11 after doing so.
You do not need to uninstall and reinstall BoBII. Just download DirectX 9.0c and install it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Beurling1942
Airman Basic

Post by Beurling1942 »

Hi, I have removed BOB2 and done a fresh reinstall. When I installed it from disc, I was able to play game provided I adjusted game resolution to 1360x768 which is the windows recommended resolution for my monitor. When I ran the 2.04 update patch, and then tried to open the game, I was able to get to options screen and check settings. But when I tried to run game, I got a message bottom right on screen that a program was changing resolution to windows basic and my PC crashed again. When it crashes, the screen goes blank and I have to perform manual reboot. Do I have a conflict between the video settings on all the BOB2 upgrades and my video card? I need to upgrade to at least 2.04 in order to use TrackIR. Pls help.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

There is no reason to use v2.04, your PC should run v2.12 quite happily,
and BoB has been TrackIR compatible since the BDG mods to Rowan's BoB1.

I can't understand why you are getting this message about resolution.
I suggest keeping things simple by not trying to get TIR running until
the sim runs. If your monitor has a native resolution of 1360x768,
that is what you should set - as it is a widescreen resolution, make
sure you TURN OFF "Use Windows Desktop Resolution (recommended)" ,
and select your resolution from the options in the lines which then appear
below, choosing the native resolution for your monitor which should
appear as something like 1360x768x32@60Hz .

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”