Spitfire problems

new reply
timeforaction
Airman Basic

Spitfire problems

Post by timeforaction »

I am rather a newcomer to flight sims but I like the look of this so I went ahead and bought it.

First 'training' mission. Basic takeoff. I thought I'd try a full engine start. As soon as the prop starts the whole machine starts to spin round and round. Wheel brakes are on and, yes, I know you have to correct with rudder and pitch, once it starts moving forward, but spinning around and around on the same point? Surely, this can't be right? I can't check gauges or anything while the whole machine is pivoting around and around.

Any idea what to do? Is this supposed to happen? If so, one would have thought ground crew would prevent it from spinning like a top while the engine is warming up.

Trumper
BDG

Re: Spitfire problems

Post by Trumper »

Are you sure it's the plane thats spinning around and not your view of the outside as that normally is the view of wounded or dying or damage.

timeforaction
Airman Basic

Post by timeforaction »

Definitely the plane. Maybe something to do with wheel brakes. Perhaps only one of them is on when I start the engine, maybe that would cause a pivot.

See if you get the same. To be honest it is almost certainly something I have done inadvertently, but it is still quite irritating.

I know its not the view because eventually it spins itself into a crash.

Jack Sparrow
Airman

Post by Jack Sparrow »

By a "full engine start" I assume you mean engine set to manual instead of automatic control.
With manual, the pitch control must be operated manually. I suspect you have prop pitch in course position and engine revs too high. In that situation, brakes won't hold and the torque will cause the the plane to pirouette as you described.
Before starting the engine, ensure pitch control is fully fine and throttle is set to about 15%. Already offset the torque with a little right rudder & aileron and then press the start button.
As you release brakes, GRADUALLY increase pitch and throttle.
Try these tips and see if they work for you. http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... d9#p216463

As an afterthought, you may consider using the Hurricane as a trainer as Spits are more "twitchy".

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

:cry: Unfortunately i am grounded ,my computer blew up a while ago and it is limping along with this what's left of it.One day i may get back into it.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 Technical Support”